Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Crown (crossover) for USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 10:31 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

It's great to have open discussion on these things and hypothesize what's possible, because I haven't seen anything that points to this Crown for USA in terms of databases.

Also, I really don't like to partake in devil's advocate arguments, that can be borderline gaslighting.

Some of the other trademarks brought up earlier on in this thread, are merely contradictions not supported in full context.

Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha as owner of the trademark did NOT simply file for just the word mark "CROWN", to merely pre-emptively beat someone to it. They specifically filed trademark for the word mark "TOYOTA CROWN".

Unless someone can put forward another abandoned/never used trademark formatted in that manner, of both brand name and nameplate, your idea that they tried to beat someone else to using Crown isn't well supported.

What company is going file for "TOYOTA CROWN" IN the United States, without their *** getting handed to them by both USPTO and Toyota? If they filed just "CROWN", would be a different story.

The filing of that trademark in the USA signifies that Toyota probably intends to market a product called Toyota Crown.

I honestly don't even know why Trailhunter was mentioned, being that it's not yet in production and probably 2 years out from the filing date. It doesn't serve to disprove anything I have stated.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This has me thinking Toyota will deploy a similar lineup like Jeep has with the Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee L, Wagoneer, and Grand Wagoneer
Great point, as that makes a good bit of sense. I hope we are right. Do you feel a Crown crossover is unnecessary in the United States, to fill in the gap left by the Avalon?

Having the SUV lineup be this
  • Corolla Cross
  • C-HR
  • RAV4
  • Venza
  • 4Runner
  • Highlander
  • Grand Highlander
  • Crown
  • Sequoia
Seems like overkilll.
Old 09-24-21, 02:59 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

So we in North America are denied the upmarket rear-wheel-drive Crown sedan for decades and now with the possibility of the nameplate being marketed here it had to become yet another crossover/SUV in order for there to be a business case for it?

Ugh. No thanks.

My personal opinion on that aside though the trademark filing and the shift in the model’s very identity into that of an SUV do seem to indicate it may come to NA.

Also that previous filing of the Celica trademark for North America is, I hope, an indicator that a new age two-door coupe bearing its name will also be resurrected. Perhaps that will happen once the currently new GR86 finally ends production in several years.
Old 06-20-22, 01:23 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Crown crossover was "leaked" earlier and just as predicted is going to look a lot like the renders revealed by Bestcarweb over a year ago which accurately got the headlights, body surfacing, and roof design correct, with of course changes in the front bumper. Kinda disappointed with how it looks, feels like a Toyota "Crosstour" to me (although significantly better looking) but I'm hoping the non-Cross version of the Crown is going to look better.

Also, hoping that Toyota doesn't restrict the Crown to only be the Cross model for the US, will be pretty disappointing if true.
Old 06-20-22, 01:29 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

So the rumors of a Crown crossover were true. Honda Crosstour is the first thing I thought of as well from the profile, but unlike the Crosstour and that Best Car render there's no ambiguity that this is a flat-out crossover. The tall fenders and doors give it away, and I bet it sits as high as Highlander.

I suppose this vehicle makes sense for someone who wants a "Highlander coupe" however silly it may seem. But I have no idea why it's called the Crown.

Last edited by Motorola; 06-20-22 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-20-22, 01:38 AM
gor134
Intermediate

It's all in those massive wheels tbh I think those are probably 21" definitely seems like more of a lifestyle vehicke than anything legitimate offroad. Definitely not a Crown.. but I feel like it'll have an impressive interior.. got to glow somewhere.
Old 06-20-22, 01:56 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

They'll probably sell more of these in a month than the Crown sedans sold in a year... can't blame Toyota for going to where the money is.

It's got that funny protruding Civic beak at the top of the grille like the new RX too lol
Old 06-20-22, 02:33 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Something different from Toyota. Those gotta be the biggest wheels on a Toyota.
Old 06-20-22, 03:06 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Turns out it wasn't an April Fools day joke after all.

Old 06-20-22, 03:42 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,209 Likes on 896 Posts

Holy christ we really are coming full circle.
Old 06-20-22, 07:14 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Here's the original Japanese patent in case anyone doubts the legitimacy of the gray renders:

https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/d0200

Old 06-20-22, 11:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Here's the original Japanese patent in case anyone doubts the legitimacy of the gray renders:

https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/d0200
that just got pulled.
Old 06-20-22, 02:00 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

What do you think the Lexus equivalent will be?
Old 06-20-22, 02:03 PM
gor134
Intermediate

The Lexus ES. It's already confirmed the ES production is moving back to Japan, and the Crown switching to an FF-based platform basically confirms it.
Old 06-20-22, 06:34 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikedozz
What do you think the Lexus equivalent will be?
It's just another TNGA-K platform vehicle, so nothing we haven't already seen like the ES or RX.
Old 06-21-22, 10:33 AM
timmy0tool

Received 423 Likes on 377 Posts

when i hear toyota crown, i think VIP luxury sedan that the US didn't get. to see it evolve into a FWD platform is not surprising, as toyota did the same thing to the corolla...

The Toyota Crown was the first passenger car to be developed entirely in Japan for the Asian and European markets.
more:
https://www.hotcars.com/toyota-crown-evolution/

Quick Reply: Toyota Crown (crossover) for USA