Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Crown (crossover) for USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 09:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Not a liftback as some rumored, but a high riding sedan with a raked rear windscreen.

WHY does this have a tiny trunk lid and not a hatch?

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
So they ruined the Crown nameplate by turning it to a FWD based turd, interior is really cheap.
pretty much. while the interior looks plasticky, i like the overall design/layout and mix of screens and buttons/controls.

Originally Posted by sorptd
I like this thing. Am liking the direction Toyota is going with high powered hybrids. 340HP, AWD no CVT good stuff !
you like the look of this thing?

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The hatchwagon thing is interesting, sedan is atrocious.
not sure what you're referring to... the not-a-hatch sedan thing for the u.s. is hideous, the traditional crown sedan seems pretty great to me.

Originally Posted by Motorola
I suggest this topic be closed or at least be renamed to Crown Cross, because there is a LOT to unwrap here. Toyota basically spun off an entirely new sub-brand under the Crown name (the same way Genesis did) and unveiled 4 brand new cars. They aren't variants of each other, each one is its own vehicle. Hence why you have two different crossovers, a sedan made from the RWD Mirai, and this weird Outback thing that we've been talking about so far in this thread.
very helpful, thanks.

This is actually pretty concerning news for Lexus, because out of the blue Toyota just unveiled a new luxury sub-brand that may very well cannibalize Lexus, if not at least taking away attention from Lexus product development in favor of growing the Crown brand. Maybe they want it to be their Buick, while Lexus is their Cadillac, but we all know how that worked out for GM...
could be, but not much concern in u.s. at least since they're only bringing frankenstein here.

And Crown is supposed to be more premium than Toyota. This is what I meant when I said Crown will cannibalize Lexus.
i didn't read where the whole crown sub-brand might be sold... anywhere other than japan? could be a 'proving ground' for new models which might become toyota or lexus models, just like this new Crown 'thing' will be the toyota crown in the u.s.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-16-22 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 09:40 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t agree with you in any way. Toyota has always had premium products and pricing in the middle of the segment price points. This new American destined crown will be a little more money than a Venza/Avalon but less money than a NX. (Which went up in price). People who want a Toyota badge will have that option and if they want a Lexus they will have that option as well, but they have to pay a little more. No different than 4R/GX or Land Cruiser/LX or Highlander/RX or Avalon/ES.
Haha, the Crown cross has the same hybrid turbo 4-cylinder from the top-of-the-line RX500h which the NX doesn't even get, no way it's going to be less than an NX unless it's the lower trim.

Toyota has always walked the fine line with Lexus and differentiating the two brands, this just seems like an unnecessary complication, especially with a new ES on the horizon that will get this same powertrain after the Crown.

Side note: I think we should move the last few posts to a new thread about the Crown sub-brand since we're no longer talking about just the crossover.

Last edited by Motorola; 07-16-22 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 12:29 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm getting very tired of the hatchback look of "sedans". Stop the slooping back and bring back a "trunk". Errr... Gas mileage, yea, yea. Sporty...not. Hatchback-y...yes. I don't want a hatchback, I want a sedan. Oh well.... My two cents.
Old 07-16-22, 03:29 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Looks are subjective, and it's all been said. Inside, I give them credit for doing what they didn't do outside: keep it simple and not try too hard. It seems like a well-appointed and tasteful space.

Objectively, the top model should deliver very good powertrain performance with a decent AWD system the Avalon and ES painfully lacked. The disappointing minuses, to me, are the pointless decision to do this form factor without hatchback practicality, and the stupidly high center of gravity that will needlessly worsen what might have been a very appealing ride/handling compromise.

If this is the bones of the next ES, which seems like a serious possibility, one wonders if this is the form factor they'll use for that too. If this was the ES on offer when I bought mine last year, I'd have gone German. I'm one of those people who still likes actual sedans.
Old 07-16-22, 03:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yah I'm worried. This new Avalon replacement, even Toyota goes "Car or SUV?" in its press release. Is this what customers want? Tall big fat cars that look like SUVs? I hope the luxury market doesn't follow. I like the sleek looks of the 7ES. It's high-riding but also looks like it hugs the road down low especially from behind. not a fan of the jacked look.

Apparently from early hands-on reviews it is IMPRESSIVELY quiet. Toyota is bragging about new noise suppression technology, fully laminated glass, etc.
It’s only 4” taller than Camry, and still nearly 8” lower than Highlander SUV.
Meanwhile nearly 6” lower than an SUV coupe Honda CrossTour.

Modest 4” allows hybrid battery pack/fuel tank sandwich to fit neatly below rear seat base.
With 4” battery packs under the floor pan, expect +4” sedans to become the norm for EV’s..

+4” is far better than driving a genuine SUV like Highlander that is nearly 8” taller than forthcoming Toyota Crown hi riding sedan.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-16-22 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 03:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kijug
I'm getting very tired of the hatchback look of "sedans". Stop the slooping back and bring back a "trunk". Errr... Gas mileage, yea, yea. Sporty...not. Hatchback-y...yes. I don't want a hatchback, I want a sedan. Oh well.... My two cents.
Perhaps the 2024-30 8th Gen Lexus ES version will look more sedan/notch-like - just like The Beast which is a good 10” taller than the forthcoming Crown, but still looks just like a sedan?

Old 07-16-22, 04:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Looks are subjective, and it's all been said. Inside, I give them credit for doing what they didn't do outside: keep it simple and not try too hard. It seems like a well-appointed and tasteful space.

Objectively, the top model should deliver very good powertrain performance with a decent AWD system the Avalon and ES painfully lacked. The disappointing minuses, to me, are the pointless decision to do this form factor without hatchback practicality, and the stupidly high center of gravity that will needlessly worsen what might have been a very appealing ride/handling compromise.

If this is the bones of the next ES, which seems like a serious possibility, one wonders if this is the form factor they'll use for that too. If this was the ES on offer when I bought mine last year, I'd have gone German. I'm one of those people who still likes actual sedans.
Crown is less than 4” taller than Camry/ES, and nearly 8” lower than Highlander/RX.
Even a Honda CrossTour SUV coupe is more than 6” taller.
Crown not really an SUV - but a high riding sedan.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-16-22 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Side note: I think we should move the last few posts to a new thread about the Crown sub-brand since we're no longer talking about just the crossover.
it was a little challenging deciding which posts to move, but a number of posts (including waaaaay off topic) not about the u.s. bound crossover, were moved to the new brand thread.
Old 07-16-22, 09:47 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

The new 2023 Toyota Crown is ugly. It doesn’t even resemble a sedan. It’s clearly a crossover. I’m so glad that I bought a brand new 2022 Toyota Avalon Limited and a 2022 ES350 Ultra Luxury. The Avalon and the ES350 are very beautiful looking cars. I don’t care for the 2023 Crown. I will only buy the Crown if Toyota refreshes the Crown in the next few years and makes it look like a sedan and if they make it look better or if they make the Camry into a full size sedan. Also, I hope that Lexus doesn’t make the new 8th generation ES look like the Crown.

Last edited by glamglam; 07-16-22 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 12:46 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a new 408 for comparison against the Crown design wise.
Old 07-17-22, 01:13 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOBnbcECzEY

Here is a new 408 for comparison against the Crown design wise.
They’re both very masculine looking and sporty.
Both seem to have a raised rear quarter waistline for a deeper trunk.
Old 07-17-22, 07:42 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Crown is less than 4” taller than Camry/ES, and nearly 8” lower than Highlander/RX.
Even a Honda CrossTour SUV coupe is more than 6” taller.
Crown not really an SUV - but a high riding sedan.

Four inches of extra height on a sedan is a lot. A Camry is not a low rider to begin with. A high-riding sedan is:

•a sedan with more wind noise
•a sedan whose MPG suffers from more aerodynamic drag
•a sedan more susceptible to crosswinds
•a sedan whose suspension engineers are forced to make a more compromised choice between ride comfort, "head toss" over bumps, and body roll
•a sedan with lower ultimate handling limits

All of these are functional compromises. And the existence of the Camry on the same basic platform, with plenty of room for 4 people and their stuff, proves it wasn't functionally necessary to make them. You've got a car here that's viewed as a costlier step up from a Camry XLE, yet it's configured to perform worse in every functional way except AWD.This car was basically the result of marketing, not engineering, decisions.

Old 07-17-22, 09:09 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

I like all three of the Crown Variants, other than the one (Crossover) they've announced is coming here.

The Sport (Red) and Estate (Yellow) versions look particularly good to my eyes.

The Sedan (Silver), might be OK in person, but doesn't do anything for me from the pictures I've seen so far.

Old 07-17-22, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFinally
All of these are functional compromises. And the existence of the Camry on the same basic platform, with plenty of room for 4 people and their stuff, proves it wasn't functionally necessary to make them. You've got a car here that's viewed as a costlier step up from a Camry XLE, yet it's configured to perform worse in every functional way except AWD.This car was basically the result of marketing, not engineering, decisions.
i don't think it's that simple.

a camry doesn't have plenty of room for 4 people and their stuff if they're going away for more than a couple of nights.
people taking trips want to bring tons of stuff these days besides just clothes/toiletries, including computers, game consoles, sporting gear, food, drinks, and on and on. a sedan's trunk typically just isn't big enough for 4 people.
taller sedans as well as cuv's/suv's offer a better viewing vantage point and most people feel safer driving them vs sedans.
you can't deny the u.s. has shifted DRAMATICALLY in recent years to cuv's/suv's, mostly for the reasons above.

making a taller sedan, even if there's downsides vs. a traditional sedan, is going where the market is, and making accordingly more profit. seems like a smart decision. even if this is the ugliest crown ever made.
Old 07-17-22, 11:23 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
taller sedans as well as cuv's/suv's offer a better viewing vantage point and most people feel safer driving them vs sedans.
you can't deny the u.s. has shifted DRAMATICALLY in recent years to cuv's/suv's, mostly for the reasons above.
Lots of people travel with pets too.
Maybe it's thanks to pet friendly hotels and stores being more open to let people bring in a dog.

We travel with 2 small dogs, pretty much need a crossover at a minimum for the dog cage and extra stuff.

Quick Reply: Toyota Crown (crossover) for USA