Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac changing to monochrome logo

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 04:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I'm not referring to just me. Anyone, young or old, can appreciate Cadillac's traditional colored-crest. In fact, Elvis Presley was a huge fan of the brand in his twenties...with his money, he used give away Caddies as gifts. Bruce Springsteen also loved them as a young adult....as did Bill Cosby.
Only 1 of those 3 would be a viable spokes person today, and he was featured in Jeep ad already, so he's out.
Old 10-07-21, 06:08 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Doesn't change the context of my point. They were big Caddy fans in their 20s. Unfortunately, Elvis didn't live long enough to be the age you reference.

I was a Caddy fan myself as a teen, although that changed somewhat when I saw that the Buick Electra 225 was virtually the same car (and with a smoother transmission) for significantly less money.
This analogy makes no sense. Things that appeal to different generations have nothing to do with age, but what was popular at the time. Things that appealed to people in the 1950s are not appealing to people of the same age today. Try asking how many 20 year olds today listen to the Beach Boys. Likewise, Cadillacs of the 1950s were a far cry from the GM parts bin special they are today.

Either way I seriously doubt any Cadillac buyer gives enough of a flip to care what color their logo is and this entire topic is based on a misguided hypothesis that doesn't reflect reality.
Old 10-07-21, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
This analogy makes no sense.
It makes sense in the way I presented it. If you don't see it (or don't want to see it) that way, then fine.

Try asking how many 20 year olds today listen to the Beach Boys.
They're still giving concerts, and tickets are still being sold.

Likewise, Cadillacs of the 1950s were a far cry from the GM parts bin special they are today.
They are not parts bin specials. While they do share today's powertrains with other GM products, their interiors, styling, and sheet metal are unique.

Either way I seriously doubt any Cadillac buyer gives enough of a flip to care what color their logo is
YOU don't..that's obvious. But be careful about speaking for others. I sometimes make the same mistake.

and this entire topic is based on a misguided hypothesis that doesn't reflect reality.
Well, we'll see what happens to Caddy sales wth the new logo, and if it was misguided or not.
Old 10-07-21, 09:17 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

YOU don't..that's obvious. But be careful about speaking for others. I sometimes make the same mistake.

Well, we'll see what happens to Caddy sales wth the new logo, and if it was misguided or not.
I think you're making that mistake right now. For example, while it may be true that Elvis, Springsteen and Cosby loved/love the brand, you're wrong in assuming that the coloured crest had anything to do with it. Maybe they just appreciated the brand for the vehicles they have experience with, and the crest/logo has no bearing on their impression of the brand.

Last edited by sm1ke; 10-07-21 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 09:43 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

There literally isn't a single thread about this on the Cadillac Owner's Forum. They do not care, period.

They're still giving concerts, and tickets are still being sold.
What percentage of that audience is 20 year olds?

It makes sense in the way I presented it.
But be careful about speaking for others.
Self-contradiction much lol
Old 10-07-21, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Doesn't change the context of my point. They were big Caddy fans in their 20s. Unfortunately, Elvis didn't live long enough to be the age you reference.

I was a Caddy fan myself as a teen, although that changed somewhat when I saw that the Buick Electra 225 was virtually the same car (and with a smoother transmission) for significantly less money.
That doesnt mean anything. They were in their 20s 50+ years ago. People in their 20s today have entirely different tastes and Cadillac as a brand is in an entirely different market position now than it was 50+ years ago. 50+ years ago the logo was different than the logos you're arguing should have been kept too.

This is an effort to make the brand appeal to younger people, and I would say its worked.
Old 10-07-21, 12:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

What is so amazing to me is, now all these years later, basically, Cadillacs have the best chassises you can find. Among the tops in class for driving dynamics. Cadillac. Caddies drive better than German competition. I was just reading a MT comparo where Caddy won, they said Caddy/GM chassis tuning has approached/approaching Porsche territory.

Just so they can kill it all off for electric. What a shame.