Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MBZ mild hybrid??? E450 4matic

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-21, 10:33 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default MBZ mild hybrid??? E450 4matic

I know its been around a while, but adding 48v battery and emotors just to help while waiting for the turbos to kick in...seems strange. Anyone care to explicate? Any other manufacturers doing something similar?
Old 10-04-21, 02:39 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

In some cases (as with my Defender) the mild hybrid system is used to solve that specific problem by electrically powering the turbos or electrically powering a supercharger until the turbos are up to speed. In my case the engine has both turbos and an electrically powered supercharger. It ensures peak torque at lower RPM and greatly reduces lag. Audi and others have similar systems.
Old 10-04-21, 02:48 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
I know its been around a while, but adding 48v battery and emotors just to help while waiting for the turbos to kick in...seems strange. Anyone care to explicate? Any other manufacturers doing something similar?
Basically every European brand is using mild hybrid tech, mainly because it helps lower the emissions taxes short of going full hybrid or EV, which are more costly and time-consuming investments.
Old 10-04-21, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

‘It’s exactly what it is. It’s a “mild” hybrid. Helps with fuel economy as well as power at low speeds.. it allows Mercedes to up the electronics in the car. The battery will be smaller compared to a full hybrid.
Old 10-04-21, 03:14 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

As an aside, I have started following GLS and GLE forums. Apparently MB received a bad batch of the 48v batteries as several owners have cited the failure of the vehicle to start, with the diagnosis being a failed 48v battery.
Old 10-04-21, 03:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
As an aside, I have started following GLS and GLE forums. Apparently MB received a bad batch of the 48v batteries as several owners have cited the failure of the vehicle to start, with the diagnosis being a failed 48v battery.
‘Mercedes isn’t known for stellar reliability….
Old 10-04-21, 03:35 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Thanks for the explanation. Wonder if an electric supercharger added to the V8 on an RC F would be spectacular or a spectacular failure. Currently naturally aspirated, so there's room to boost.
Old 10-04-21, 03:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the explanation. Wonder if an electric supercharger added to the V8 on an RC F would be spectacular or a spectacular failure. Currently naturally aspirated, so there's room to boost.
You mean if Toyota was to do it…or you doing it yourself?
Old 10-04-21, 03:43 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think that's any related to a mild hybrid system.
Old 10-04-21, 08:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The 48V system in the MB helps to power advanced electronic like the advanced suspension which needs the extra power to work. In addition, it solves the start/stop problem, which is a big complaint to many luxury car owners.
Old 10-05-21, 05:01 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

All that + mitigating turbo lag to an extent, removing the starter/alternator... etc - lots of benefits overall.

An electric supercharger doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Check the q50 hybrid / m35h for a sensible "electric boost" application - not including the gs450h as the drivetrain feels quite disconnected by comparison (no experience with the lc/ls500h). Points are - 1) you already have the electric motors to generate AND propel (no need for a separate supercharger), 2) an e-supercharger gets driven by the engine anyways, so it's overall less efficient over the long term than direct drive (not quite due to modulation of demand, but turbo systems are way better in this regard).
Old 10-05-21, 08:19 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
All that + mitigating turbo lag to an extent, removing the starter/alternator... etc - lots of benefits overall.

An electric supercharger doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Check the q50 hybrid / m35h for a sensible "electric boost" application - not including the gs450h as the drivetrain feels quite disconnected by comparison (no experience with the lc/ls500h). Points are - 1) you already have the electric motors to generate AND propel (no need for a separate supercharger), 2) an e-supercharger gets driven by the engine anyways, so it's overall less efficient over the long term than direct drive (not quite due to modulation of demand, but turbo systems are way better in this regard).
Not necessarily. A belt/pulley supercharger is parasitic, but an electrically powered supercharger can be (and in many cases is) powered by recovered energy stored in a battery.
Old 10-05-21, 11:09 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You mean if Toyota was to do it…or you doing it yourself?
I wouldn't do it myself. My tinkering days are done. Just curious. If it were beneficial enough, I suspect some aftermarket speed shop would figure it out.
Old 10-05-21, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

There are a lot of benefits, the real reason for it is to drive modern electronic loads, the old 12V systems just aren't up to it.