Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice needed on used Lexus sedan purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-21, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really? on a curving entrance/exit ramp i'd have 'fun' in the GS whereas in the ES i'd go sedately.

rwd ftw.
You're an enthusiast, most people aren't. 95% of GS's purchased get driven just like any other car. For instance, I drove by a beautiful LC yesterday, in the drivers seat was a little old man sitting right up against the wheel with his hands at 10 and 2.

And the other side of that, driving the GS more aggressively doesn't damage it. Its a vehicle made for that purpose.
Old 10-21-21, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
ES is the clear winner according to CR
Unless you value the better platform and more sophisticated suspension and then their negatives are well worth the tradeoff. I would never buy another ES, but I would buy another GS. Just a much better car, proper premium car. CR is comparing the two the way you compare refrigerators.

If you don't care about any of that, then the ES is great.
Old 10-21-21, 11:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Unless you value the better platform and more sophisticated suspension and then their negatives are well worth the tradeoff. I would never buy another ES, but I would buy another GS. Just a much better car, proper premium car. CR is comparing the two the way you compare refrigerators.

If you don't care about any of that, then the ES is great.
Yup...Camry in a suit. If a sterile driving experience is what you are after, its a great car.
Old 10-21-21, 11:38 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

What’s your budget? I would avoid them both. They are too old and unexpected issues will start popping up.

Compare the 2013 GS vs 2016 ES. They will both have a longer life span and the face lifted ES is the best handling ES shy of the current Gen ES.
Old 10-22-21, 07:23 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
CR is comparing the two the way you compare refrigerators.
I'm not qualified to speak to which of these two cars is better, but exactly this. That's what CR does. And I don't say that at a criticism -- I subscribe to the magazine.

CR has softenend a little in recent years, but in the past you knew what you were getting in a CR review: features, capacities and reliability per dollar spent. I test drove an Acura TL and RL and thought the RL was vastly superior in materials, luxury feel and the handling balance of torque vectoring AWD. CR didn't care about any of that. All they saw was the same size of car with the same set of electronic toys at a disadvantage of $15,000. I'm sure they regarded the ES/GS comparison the same way. It's not a wrong viewpoint, it's just theirs, and it's useful information if you understand that's where they come from.
Old 10-23-21, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I'm not qualified to speak to which of these two cars is better, but exactly this. That's what CR does. And I don't say that at a criticism -- I subscribe to the magazine.

CR has softenend a little in recent years, but in the past you knew what you were getting in a CR review: features, capacities and reliability per dollar spent. I test drove an Acura TL and RL and thought the RL was vastly superior in materials, luxury feel and the handling balance of torque vectoring AWD. CR didn't care about any of that. All they saw was the same size of car with the same set of electronic toys at a disadvantage of $15,000. I'm sure they regarded the ES/GS comparison the same way. It's not a wrong viewpoint, it's just theirs, and it's useful information if you understand that's where they come from.
Yep, great for looking for a dishwasher, not so great when looking at a car.
Old 10-23-21, 01:20 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
ES is the clear winner according to CR
CR is excellent in comparing vehicles to one another generally. Also, I find them to be a great resource for safety and reliability data. However, when it comes to performance testing and expert opinion, Motor Trend and Car and Driver are better. What bugs me about them is they rarely mention reliability beyond their own testing experiences. They turn a blind eye to historical reliability data.

When deciding between a GS and ES in 2011 for my wife, we used all these resources. We settled on the ES mostly due to it's better 0-60, MPG, and its use of regular fuel. My wife doesn't care about handling. She loves the roomier cabin of the ES.
Old 10-23-21, 02:30 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Source?

2007 - 2011 GS 350 0 - 60: 5.3 Seconds

2007 - 2012 ES 350 0 - 60: 6.2 Seconds

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ake-road-test/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...us-gs-350-awd/

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...29503&id=29759

GS gets 1 MPG less on the highway. And no I wouldn't put regular gas in a GS. I would put regular in the ES though.
Old 10-23-21, 02:46 PM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

0-60 times for a front heavy fwd car is a bit pointless. It’s not pleasant due to torque steer and wheel spins. They excel at being driven normally.
Old 10-23-21, 04:26 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Basing a car off its 0-60 times is ridiculous the more I think about it. I can just see it: someone on the computer trying to determine what car they want. They see one does it at 5.8 seconds and the other is 6.1. The one that's 5.8 is a piece of crap BMW that is an endless money pit and the 6.1 is an ES. They go with the BMW even though you will NEVER notice a difference in real world driving between the two.

I guarantee anyone could do a 0-60 with two different cars, like in the example above, and they can't tell a 3/10 of a second difference. Just something that magazine writers use to form their opinions about what car is "better".
Old 10-23-21, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
However, when it comes to performance testing and expert opinion, Motor Trend and Car and Driver are better
Well, that's at least partly because MT and C&D test more for all-out max-performance, even if it abuses the drivetrain. CR generally doesn't.....they are easier on the vehicle in performance-tests, although they do sometimes load up their vehicles and truck-beds to the rated passenger/cargo capacity to test them at full-rated-load.
Old 10-23-21, 05:02 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Source?
Sorry, I don't remember my source from 10 years ago. I admit I got it wrong as I found a site just now that puts them equal, both at 6.2 seconds for the base sedans (the AWD GS got the 5.8 second run). I imagine the ES would do better running premium (not that I would). BTW, it looks like the ES beat the GS in 2014 and 2015.

From zero60times.com...

Old 10-23-21, 05:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
CR is excellent in comparing vehicles to one another generally. Also, I find them to be a great resource for safety and reliability data. However, when it comes to performance testing and expert opinion, Motor Trend and Car and Driver are better. What bugs me about them is they rarely mention reliability beyond their own testing experiences. They turn a blind eye to historical reliability data.

When deciding between a GS and ES in 2011 for my wife, we used all these resources. We settled on the ES mostly due to it's better 0-60, MPG, and its use of regular fuel. My wife doesn't care about handling. She loves the roomier cabin of the ES.
CR is just part of the whole research process. There are other places as well

here is Motor Trend

GS460. 2008
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...60-quick-test/

​​
But overall, the Lexus is akin to bringing sake to a cabernet competition. Sure, it's technically wine, but it doesn't really match up, lacking the requisite flavor, color, and vivacity.
​​​​​
ES350. 2007
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2007-lexus-es-350-2/

You've been warned: The perfect car is out there.

Old 10-23-21, 05:14 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I find it interesting how much weight is put behind 0-60 times. I think most people are happy as long as their vehicle can keep up with traffic. Observed yesterday while sitting at a light. A Tesla Model 3 took off like a bat out of hell when the light changed. I'm sure he was happy he got the 2 blocks up to sit sit in traffic waiting for the next light to change....CR tends to test how 'most' people would drive a vehicle, whereas as stated above, MT & C&D are more performance oriented. As a disclaimer, I get all 3 magazines, so I find it interesting to compare when they all test the same vehicle.
Old 10-23-21, 06:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I find it interesting how much weight is put behind 0-60 times. I think most people are happy as long as their vehicle can keep up with traffic. Observed yesterday while sitting at a light. A Tesla Model 3 took off like a bat out of hell when the light changed. I'm sure he was happy he got the 2 blocks up to sit sit in traffic waiting for the next light to change....CR tends to test how 'most' people would drive a vehicle, whereas as stated above, MT & C&D are more performance oriented. As a disclaimer, I get all 3 magazines, so I find it interesting to compare when they all test the same vehicle.
Honestly, if I press the throttle 10%, the Tesla will still leave the line faster than anything else there. In sedate driving, it'll do 0-60 in less than 6s. That's kinda the new reality coming with the transition.

Quick Reply: Advice needed on used Lexus sedan purchase