Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Lexus Under $3,000 USD

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 06:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For $3000 you'll get a Lexus that has been used and abused, with a bunch of shoddy mods and repairs that were improperly done, using cheap aftermarket parts. It's just going to be a complete disaster and an endless money pit. With such little budget I would try to find a Crown Vic from a police auction - it is still going to be beat up, but at least these cars are very primitive and super easy to repair with abundance of decent cheap parts.
Old 10-18-21, 10:26 AM
Greggx0x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"
As far as some of your other questions go, cars to look into would be 90’s LS400’s, first and second generation GS300, 01-03 LS430, 92-00 SC300/SC400, and 01-05 IS300 are all solid cars that fit your criteria. They’re pretty reliable if you purchase one in good shape. They can get very expensive pretty fast if you get a beat up car.
"

Do these cars have independent front suspension rear wheel drive and good engine?

I read on wiki that the 1st Gen gs300 has front and rear double wishbone
Old 10-18-21, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
So you're going to get a near 30 year old GS with 200k miles, expecting it to not have problems and ready to go. How much does he plan on driving? If more than 10k a year, forget it. Look at an Accord or Camry of the 90's.

A GS uses specialized parts for basically everything. Lexus is the most reliable luxury brand, for sure, but even a near 30 year old car with that mileage is going to have issues. It's a ticking time bomb.
Yep, nothing lasts forever
Old 10-18-21, 07:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Greggx0x
Do these cars have independent front suspension rear wheel drive and good engine?

I read on wiki that the 1st Gen gs300 has front and rear double wishbone
As far as I know they do. They’re all rear wheel drive and the engines are great.

I’ve never had any experience with the first generation GS300. They’re so rare that I’ve only seen a handful in the past 10 years outside of the junkyard.

One thing to consider if you end up with an older Lexus is that you may have to change a bunch of suspension bushings. It’s pretty common on the high mileage 90’s and 2000’s Lexus.
Old 10-19-21, 05:14 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The best Lexus you can get for $3k isn't any Lexus you will want. This is coming from a guy who has bought not one, but two, under $2,000 in the past. After spending triple what I paid to get them back to spec, one got totalled and the other I got bored with and sold (both ES's). Don't do it unless you can work on them yourself and don't mind always fixing SOMETHING. with cheap cars, the simpler, the better. On that, the best car you can buy for $3k is probably a civic or corolla. Ideally with a manual transmission. It will literally run forever. When it does finally quit, a 4 pot for a corolla at a junkyard is like $400 and can be swapped in a few hours with basic tools and a fairly mechanical mind.
Old 10-19-21, 07:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

As mentioned that a Lexus for $3K is going to have a fair list of fixes in the majority of cases. The owners with nice ones are invested that they won't let them go. Ours would sell at about $3200 or so. Engine is maintained with the big intervals covered. The goal for me is to drive it beyond 300K miles and driving it about 2K miles annually it has a long ways to go. My thread from 5 years ago and now it has about 213K miles on it. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-at-203k.html

My thought would be Camry, Accord, Corolla, Civic, etc and that brings a much newer car with improved safety standards built in. Even at $3K to buy those cars will have obvious wear to accept.
Old 10-20-21, 09:15 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is bait.
Old 10-20-21, 09:32 AM
Roho
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ....for $3000...

I was recently looking around for an IS300, early 2000 models. I'm in SoCal and I've found a bunch, they usually have over 200k miles and start +/- $3k. The lower milage (mid 100k miles) with clean body are about $5k and up. Keep in mind that younger crowd like this models and do a bunch of mods.(me included)
I see some here talking about the GS, the IS300 share the same engine, the 2JZ and are popular with the mod crowd.
Also the LS400, is popular for mods.
Location is a big part too, because of rust.
Good luck.
Old 10-20-21, 09:42 AM
luckidai
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Lexus was a good car for long term reliability...
it is. My 1998 GS300 157k miles still runs strong and for under $3000 you could buy it if it was for sale but it hasn’t been without issues. Replaced two gaskets but still leaking oil a little. It’s my second car for my everyday driving but you will need to spend more if you want a car with no problems.
Old 10-20-21, 09:51 AM
Mckslk
Driver School Candidate

Default Best Lexus under 3000

Friend is looking for a car

Looking for something that is reliable, luxury, and budget friendly. Something that is well rounded, good in every attribute

Also, looking for information to support the reasoning as to why the specific car your promoting is the best. And a bit of background information as to why Lexus?
I would go with es300 I a 2000 I bought with 7000 miles and has 234 000 now runs Great
Old 10-20-21, 10:09 AM
Yurish
Driver School Candidate

We bought our 2002 ES300 139k for $3000 several years ago from salvage yard.
It had a salvage title because of cosmetic issues (dent at rear right side). Insurance totaled it as cost of repair is more than a vehicle cost. We used it as is without any repair for several years. It was my daily driver with a good very smooth ride. However transmission shifted not very smoothly to one gear, but it didn't go worse over years we own it.
We sold it for $2500 at 179k a year ago because we were moving to another state. After move we couldn't find a good replacement for that price, and prices went up since than.
For $3k I would expect a lot of cosmetic, some mechanical issues and/or high mileage (for Lexus probably high mileage starts from 200k) or salvage title.
Old 10-20-21, 10:10 AM
ES2LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 ES is a winner

Sold mine few years ago for 2500. Mileage was about 210k
i took care of it. Cheap to maintain. You'll notice if the condition is well intact. Even with high mileage you'd still win. ES has luxury above the Camry. Not LS luxury but good enough.
Old 10-20-21, 10:28 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I've been at this for several months as have 2 teenagers needing to share a "beater"

Word to the wise: have your friend start at $6k as you're gonna need $3k to get a $3k car functioning properly anyway. Ask for a mechanic check contingent for any sale and if you can get oil change records, then you're pretty much there

As someone said, $3k budget for your friend isn't realistic if he can't afford at least $1-$3k now and yearly to get it up to reliable... used car market is INSANE, scams everywhere and pricing thru the roof

My $.02....

Last edited by rdgdawg; 10-20-21 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-20-21, 10:40 AM
Magnum357
Driver School Candidate

Default The dealer gave me $6500 for my 2006 GS300.

Traded my 2006 GS300 in. Dealer gave me $6500 for it. Only had 28,000 miles on it.
They sold it over night for $9500.
Old 10-20-21, 10:50 AM
mthomp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In today's market, with a $3K budget, I wouldn't even suggest a Lexus or Toyota. Both are legendary for reliability but some people don't maintain their vehicles. The Lexus or Toyota in that price range, today, will cost much more to keep running, bring needed maintenance up to date, and the luxury of a Lexus will be lost by having too much wear.

At $3K, I would start with looking at a Hyundai Elantra. Reliable, low maintenance, not a ton of frills but decent handling (for a budget sedan), comfort, and budget friendly. If you can find one in the budget, the step up might be a Kia Optima. A bit bigger, with a few more frills (dependent on trim level), and the same attributes I noted about the Elantra. The good thing about these vehicles is that they came with a 10 year/100K mile warranty, so they MAY have been better taken care of.

While I typed out a response, I also agree with this:
Originally Posted by Afrosheen
This is bait.

Quick Reply: Best Lexus Under $3,000 USD