Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Personal Question on EV Rebates and Income Requirements (California)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 01:10 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
We're looking at this from different perspectives but we're both correct. The key point is you do have to have a minimum of $7,500 in federal tax liability to utilize the full $7,500 federal tax credit. That's separate from the accounting for your payroll withholding or any estimated payments you've made. If you have already paid $7,500 via estimated tax payments or withholding etc, then yes would you get 7.5K back - but it's refund of what has now become overpaid withholding, not a refund of the EV credit itself. If you have only $5,000 total fed tax liability, then you're only soaking up 5K of the EV credit - you won't see the extra 2.5K. You'd get your 5K back if you had paid it via withholding etc. Same principle as before. If you have a 7.5K liability, but haven't made any estimated/withholding payments, the 7.5K you otherwise owe is offset by the credit.

The main point was that if you have no liability, you're simply unable to use the credit and you're not seeing any of the 7.5k. There's no refund for tax you haven't paid. And if you have more than zero but less than 7.5K, you're not getting the difference in the form of a refund. You can't turn a 5K liability into a 2.5K refund because you qualified for a 7.5K EV credit. You turn that 5K liability into zero, and whether you get any actual cash back depends upon whether you'd already paid the 5K or not.
Wait, so any normal working class person that makes lets say $100k and federal tax rate is 15% he would have to pay $15k in federal income tax. If he already paid $15k through paycheck deduction then IRS owes him $7500?
Old 10-18-21, 02:01 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Wait, so any normal working class person that makes lets say $100k and federal tax rate is 15% he would have to pay $15k in federal income tax. If he already paid $15k through paycheck deduction then IRS owes him $7500?
In that circumstance, yes. In your example, the taxpayer has effectively overpaid $7.5K because the federal credit is just that, a dollar for dollar tax credit. It's not a deduction from income.

The point all along was simply that you have to have a federal tax liability to take advantage of a federal tax credit.

One reason this point even comes up was that it might surprise many that a lot of American households don't pay any federal income tax (or pay very little). By some reports, well over half of all households didn't have a federal tax liability last yea (partly for pandemic reasons, but the number was already hovering around half anyway). That's one of the reasons why these credits can be a bit controversial as they tend to benefit those at the upper end of the income spectrum. The argument that these credits enable people who already do pretty well to buy an even nicer car are broadly just as valid as those that focus on the environmental benefits etc. These aren't credits that everyone can actually take advantage of. More people than we might think just don't make enough to have enough of a federal liability to qualify.

Last edited by swajames; 10-18-21 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-18-21, 05:37 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 543 Likes on 367 Posts

Yes. The point is, if you can affort a Model S you don't need a tax credit. When we bought our Model 3, there were CA tax credits, but I did not qualify.
You can also make the point that if you need a tax credit to buy a Tesla, maybe you can't afford a Tesla.

Your results may vary...
Old 10-18-21, 06:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Yes. The point is, if you can affort a Model S you don't need a tax credit. When we bought our Model 3, there were CA tax credits, but I did not qualify.
You can also make the point that if you need a tax credit to buy a Tesla, maybe you can't afford a Tesla.

Your results may vary...
savings are savings, regardless of whether. you can "Afford" the car or how much money you make. Plus, given the dealer markups now, any incentive from the government helps to make it more fair.
Old 10-18-21, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
$100K is only 'working class' in a state like california.

but yes, your logic is correct.

Originally Posted by swajames
By some reports, well over half of all households didn't have a federal tax liability last yea (partly for pandemic reasons, but the number was already hovering around half anyway). That's one of the reasons why these credits can be a bit controversial as they tend to benefit those at the upper end of the income spectrum. The argument that these credits enable people who already do pretty well to buy an even nicer car are broadly just as valid as those that focus on the environmental benefits etc. These aren't credits that everyone can actually take advantage of. More people than we might think just don't make enough to have enough of a federal liability to qualify.
exactly. the tax credits helped tesla enormously by allowing them to either price cars higher than they would have without them, or price them knowing the credits will make them more competitive with ICE vehicles.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
ha, good point.
Old 10-18-21, 06:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
savings are savings, regardless of whether. you can "Afford" the car or how much money you make. Plus, given the dealer markups now, any incentive from the government helps to make it more fair.
tesla though doesn't have dealers, thus no arbitrary markups. besides, they long since exceeded volumes to where fed credits don't apply any longer.

but they're still helping chevy and ford and vw i believe.

even more ludicrous would be a tax credit for a lucid.
Old 10-18-21, 06:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

No, chevy is out of the tax credit already. too many bolts sold.
Old 10-18-21, 06:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

but yes, your logic is correct.

exactly. the tax credits helped tesla enormously by allowing them to either price cars higher than they would have without them, or price them knowing the credits will make them more competitive with ICE vehicles.

ha, good point.
$100k is almost poverty level in certain areas of California

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of government incentives. It drives the segment to spend when there may be hesitation. The new incentives though have a cap so that Rivian i've been eyeing won't qualify. I may have to go to a lower class segment and go Model Y...big savings there.
Old 10-18-21, 07:59 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
$100k is almost poverty level in certain areas of California
Unfortunately, this is the reality of living in CA especially Bay Area. A few months ago I saw on news segment people were camping out to make an offer for a 2 million dollars apartment.
Old 10-18-21, 08:23 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dunno about other makes, but there are no dealer markups on Teslas. Of course, there is no Federal incentive either.
Old 10-18-21, 08:27 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Not just Tesla... Every EV manufacturer.
Old 10-20-21, 09:25 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nissan Leaf is still eligible for full federal tax credit. I’ve claimed it 4 times for a total of $30,000 in tax savings. 2015, 2018, 2019 & 2020.

After dealer discounts, factory rebates and tax credit my net cost to swap yearly is close to nothing. My 2019 was totaled. When I bought a 2020 replacement I came out $2000 in my pocket after insurance payout, tax credits, discounts and rebates

The leaf isn’t as sexy as a Tesla but it’s fun to drive, nimble, no maintenance and very reliable.

Last edited by FLYCT; 10-20-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-20-21, 09:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Nissan Leaf is still eligible for full federal tax credit. I’ve claimed it 4 times for a total of $30,000 in tax savings. 2015, 2018, 2019 & 2020.

After dealer discounts, factory rebates and tax credit my net cost to swap yearly is close to nothing. My 2019 was totaled. When I bought a 2020 replacement I came out $2000 in my pocket after insurance payout, tax credits, discounts and rebates

The leaf isn’t as sexy as a Tesla but it’s fun to drive, nimble, no maintenance and very reliable.
The only issue with the Leaf is that its not a long term keeper due to the air cooling on the batteries. Degradation tends to be much higher without liquid cooling. I see the Leaf as a supplemental EV for city use only. A Tesla is more of a daily ICE replacement and of course higher cost.
Old 10-20-21, 09:51 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The only issue with the Leaf is that its not a long term keeper due to the air cooling on the batteries. Degradation tends to be much higher without liquid cooling. I see the Leaf as a supplemental EV for city use only. A Tesla is more of a daily ICE replacement and of course higher cost.
Lack of Battery cooling had an effect on degradation. In Florida I loose about 3-4% per year.

My 2020 Leaf was my 61st new car since 1970 so I’m not a long term keeper. It fits our mission perfectly. The Leaf SL plus has an honest over 200 mile range. We routinely travel 125 miles between home and cabin and then locally. Charging at both ends. With Florida electric rates of 10cents/kW it costs 2-1/2 cents per mile.

I don’t fit comfortably in a Tesla 3. I like the Y my friend has but I can buy 2 Leafs SL Pluses for the price if the Y.

If I could get a decent tax credit I would consider a Tesla Y.
Old 10-20-21, 09:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Lack of Battery cooling had an effect on degradation. In Florida I loose about 3-4% per year.

My 2020 Leaf was my 61st new car since 1970 so I’m not a long term keeper. It fits our mission perfectly. The Leaf SL plus has an honest over 200 mile range. We routinely travel 125 miles between home and cabin and then locally. Charging at both ends. With Florida electric rates of 10cents/kW it costs 2-1/2 cents per mile.

I don’t fit comfortably in a Tesla 3. I like the Y my friend has but I can buy 2 Leafs SL Pluses for the price if the Y.

If I could get a decent tax credit I would consider a Tesla Y.
There are of course other great options now. Mach E, ID4, Polestar / Volvo. The Model Y is not a cheap car...I will consider one if a new tax incentive is passed.

Quick Reply: Personal Question on EV Rebates and Income Requirements (California)