Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

gm ceo barra interview mainly on EVs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Default gm ceo barra interview mainly on EVs

this is very interesting... gm seems to me to be WAAAAY ahead of toyota, for example.

also the interviewer (liz claman) says after 16 years of driving lexus she was lured away by a tesla!

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6277768786001
Old 10-19-21, 09:31 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 366 Posts

Good article. Toyota seems to play their cards close to the vest. And they were big on fuel cell strategy.
I think both were EV naysayers not so long ago... 10 years ago who was talking about EVs?
I can tell you this: the Volt was and still is a popular car around here. Owners seem to love 'em.
I wish them luck.
Old 10-19-21, 09:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

GM has had zero success in EVs.
Bolt and Volt were disasters.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they need another federal bailout when next recession or economic crisis rolls around. The management of that organization is horrendous.

They live off of profits related to pickup trucks and huge SUVs yet now they want to be environmentally friendly - only to get the federal grants. Nothing with GM has changed.

It’s funny that Tesla is by far the most successful EV automaker- yet the US govt and media give it zero credit and just ridicule Elon Musk any chance they get. I’m sure FBI has open investigation on the guy. I wonder why that is……
Old 10-19-21, 11:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
GM has had zero success in EVs.
Bolt and Volt were disasters.
did you watch the video?

the cadillac lyric, despite not having amazing range, seems like an awesome vehicle.

the new hummer EVs have had awesome press.

barra says gm is building a battery plant in the u.s. with LG.

the bolt fire fiasco appears to be LG's fault, but is getting fixed. the bolt is, other than that (big) problem, very nice.

i wouldn't count gm out.

It’s funny that Tesla is by far the most successful EV automaker- yet the US govt and media give it zero credit and just ridicule Elon Musk any chance they get. I’m sure FBI has open investigation on the guy. I wonder why that is……
tesla benefitted more than any auto company from tax credits, incentives, nationally and in california. and as a lot of govt/media wants 'green' everything, they're not likely to be against tesla, even if he's, uh, unpredictable.
Old 10-19-21, 11:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed, far too early to count GM out. I have faith in this next crop of EVs and will be testing the Hummer ownership experience myself.
Old 10-19-21, 11:50 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tesla benefitted more than any auto company from tax credits, incentives, nationally and in california. and as a lot of govt/media wants 'green' everything, they're not likely to be against tesla, even if he's, uh, unpredictable.
And the richest man in the world.

I think it is fair to say GM, Ford and anyother car company could have started in EVs 10+ years ago in CA and get the same incentives as Tesla, right?
They chose to leave a long time ago. And go overseas...

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 10-19-21 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 12:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

did you watch the video?

the cadillac lyric, despite not having amazing range, seems like an awesome vehicle.

the new hummer EVs have had awesome press.

barra says gm is building a battery plant in the u.s. with LG.

the bolt fire fiasco appears to be LG's fault, but is getting fixed. the bolt is, other than that (big) problem, very nice.

i wouldn't count gm out.

GM can’t build a competitive ICE car but all of a sudden they will build reliable EVs when even Mercedes and rest of German/Japanese automakers haven’t done it yet?! Only when pigs fly.

Cadillac lyric and Hummer are not in production yet and will be saddled with issues as every other new GM vehicle.

GM is motivated by profit margins first and foremost. Tesla because of Musk was motivated by creating new revolutionary technology first and foremost. Those are what will always separate the philosophies of these car companies.

Tesla stock has been shorted and blackballed for years with all the TV analysts hating on it. The SEC and other govt agencies have life miserable for Musk. He wasn’t even invited to the government EV conference.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-19-21 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

all of a sudden GM will build reliable EVs when even Mercedes and rest of German/Japanese automakers haven’t done it yet?! Only when pigs fly.
Well....you said it.

You're also forgetting that GM got a head start on almost everybody else back in the 1990s, with the Impact. Other companies, back then, had not even introduced hybrids yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-21 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 12:31 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

GM can’t build a competitive ICE car but all of a sudden they will build reliable EVs when even Mercedes and rest of German/Japanese automakers haven’t done it yet?! Only when pigs fly.

Cadillac lyric and Hummer are not in production yet and will be saddled with issues as every other new GM vehicle.

GM is motivated by profit margins first and foremost. Tesla because of Musk was motivated by creating new revolutionary technology first and foremost. Those are what will always separate the philosophies of these car companies.

Tesla stock has been shorted and blackballed for years with all the TV analysts hating on it. The SEC and other govt agencies have life miserable for Musk. He wasn’t even invited to the government EV conference.
Interesting... It's kinda ironic Tesla's margins, in the higher 20% range, blows the doors of GM's maybe 7% margins...
The #1 goal of a public company is to maximize the wealth of the shareholders. Wish I had more TSLA! But what do I know?

@bitkahuna is just being optimistic. Nothing wrong with that. Let's see what GM can do. Because if they cannot perform in the EV space, it won't be good.
Clearly the market believes in Tesla. Let's see how it responds to GM's strategy.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 10-19-21 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 01:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Interesting... It's kinda ironic Tesla's margins, in the higher 20% range, blows the doors of GM's maybe 7% margins...
The #1 goal of a public company is to maximize the wealth of the shareholders. Wish I had more TSLA! But what do I know?

@bitkahuna is just being optimistic. Nothing wrong with that. Let's see what GM can do. Because if they cannot perform in the EV space, it won't be good.
Clearly the market believes in Tesla. Let's see how it responds to GM's strategy.
That’s Tesla profit margins today and will increase from here.
But they were in the red for years burning $$$. They took huge risks that a mature company like GM is unlikely to make because of bureaucracy.
Old 10-19-21, 01:09 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well....you said it.

You're also forgetting that GM got a head start on almost everybody else back in the 1990s, with the Impact. Other companies, back then, had not even introduced hybrids yet.

That car has zero relevance to anything GM is doing today with EVs.
Old 10-19-21, 01:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Also, GM did nothing with the technology. Why brag about such a miserable failure and complete mismanagement of a leading edge technology. Absolutely laughable where they are now vs. what could have been if they stuck with the technology. Lets hope they don't screw up that badly this time around.
Old 10-19-21, 01:35 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

That’s Tesla profit margins today and will increase from here.
But they were in the red for years burning $$$. They took huge risks that a mature company like GM is unlikely to make because of bureaucracy.
Tesla reports Q3 numbers soon, maybe tomorrow. With the record deliveries, margins should further improve due to economies of scale.
Apparantly the market is already rewarding them; TSLA is up $50 this week.
Old 10-19-21, 02:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

this is very interesting... gm seems to me to be WAAAAY ahead of toyota, for example.

also the interviewer (liz claman) says after 16 years of driving lexus she was lured away by a tesla!

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6277768786001
if anything, GM is even more behind than Toyota. Current product is terrible (Bolt) and sells poorly. They promise future product but lets produce it first.
Old 10-19-21, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Disagree. One usually has to walk before they can run, and that car helped learn the first steps.

Quick Reply: gm ceo barra interview mainly on EVs