Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 car features people want most (and 7 they want least)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-21, 04:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Most of the features you mention I do agree with. Adaptive cruise I do not like…it’s because I just don’t like the way it slows down and speeds up (which I guess is the whole point) ….I have it in my new 4R, I just don’t like it compared to regular cruise in my old one. If I could turn off the adaptive part…it would be something I would do. I don’t like rainsense wipers either. I don’t think most people want self driving cars with no steering wheels. I think most people would love GMs super cruise type systems
Adaptive cruise is on my must-have list, but I know not everyone likes it. FYI - you can turn it off and use it as regular cruise. When you turn your cruise on, you hold the ON button down for I think 3 seconds and it puts it into the traditional mode.
Old 10-22-21, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Adaptive cruise is on my must-have list, but I know not everyone likes it. FYI - you can turn it off and use it as regular cruise. When you turn your cruise on, you hold the ON button down for I think 3 seconds and it puts it into the traditional mode.
Oh thanks. Gonna have to try that out. Really appreciate the tip.
Old 10-22-21, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I don’t like rainsense wipers either.
Agreed with Jill.....I've never liked that system either. Yes, they can be a convenience when the vehicle speeds up and slows down in light rain, so that you aren't constantly fiddling with the interval-control for the wipers.....a nuisance in stop and go traffic. But, they are not good for the glass if the windshield is not kept clean and then you get a few drops of water on it, causing the dry wipers to come on and rub/abrade the dust and dust into the glass before it really gets wet enough to prevent that. That's not good.
Old 10-22-21, 04:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i dont like HUDs, windshield replacement is much more expensive, not sure why need to be able to see your speed constantly. I can see my speed on a digital speedometer in my peripheral vision
Old 10-22-21, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i dont like HUDs, windshield replacement is much more expensive,
Not when you have HUD the way GM does it, on a small pop-up plastic window in front of the glass. The figures are never projected on the glass itself.
Old 10-22-21, 05:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not when you have HUD the way GM does it, on a small pop-up plastic window in front of the glass. The figures are never projected on the glass itself.
Do all GM models have the pop up screen, or is it on select models?
Old 10-22-21, 05:25 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I’d have a hard time buying a modern vehicle without autonomous driving. It’s greatly needed in LA traffic after a long day.
Old 10-22-21, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Do all GM models have the pop up screen, or is it on select models?

It's on some of the smaller models like mine......not sure about all of them. I don't think Cadillac uses it.
Old 10-23-21, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Most of the features you mention I do agree with. Adaptive cruise I do not like…it’s because I just don’t like the way it slows down and speeds up (which I guess is the whole point) ….I have it in my new 4R, I just don’t like it compared to regular cruise in my old one. If I could turn off the adaptive part…it would be something I would do. I don’t like rainsense wipers either. I don’t think most people want self driving cars with no steering wheels. I think most people would love GMs super cruise type systems
I felt the same way about adaptive cruise until I got the S560 with the more advanced autonomous Distronic. The pairing of adaptive cruise and the self steering makes the feature really great. The adaptive cruise is just kind of a "half measure" that IMO doesn't really reduce my stress behind the wheel. But when the car can adapt to distance AND steer itself, thats great. For instance, I never drive the car in traffic jams, it literally drives itself and i just nudge the wheel every few minutes. On a highway trip, it does most of the driving and I just kind of guide it along. Super Cruise is the type of feature I'm talking about, not something with no steering wheel.

Oh thanks. Gonna have to try that out. Really appreciate the tip.
Do you have the old school cruise stalk? Just push it in towards the dash and it will be normal cruise.
Old 10-23-21, 07:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I felt the same way about adaptive cruise until I got the S560 with the more advanced autonomous Distronic. The pairing of adaptive cruise and the self steering makes the feature really great. The adaptive cruise is just kind of a "half measure" that IMO doesn't really reduce my stress behind the wheel. But when the car can adapt to distance AND steer itself, thats great. For instance, I never drive the car in traffic jams, it literally drives itself and i just nudge the wheel every few minutes. On a highway trip, it does most of the driving and I just kind of guide it along. .
Agreed 100% . Since I've had my Model S, I've become spoiled. I use the adaptive cruise and self steer in exactly the same way and would never get another car that does not have this feature. It's just great.
Old 10-23-21, 08:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I surprised Heated steering is not on the top 10. That is A must in the north.
im in houston and i like heated steering wheels. Especially when the truck has been sitting out all night and the heater takes a bit to warm up, the heated wheel is super fast
Old 10-23-21, 03:47 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

to be fair, the list is talked about augmented reality HUD, not just regular HUD. As far as I know, only Mercedes, and the upcoming Audi models have the augmented feature.
Old 10-23-21, 04:22 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Surprised about HUD. I think it's close to a must have for me going forward.
It's all of a sudden difficult to take 3/4 of a second to glance at the speedo?
Old 10-23-21, 04:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
It's all of a sudden difficult to take 3/4 of a second to glance at the speedo?
A good HUD is more than just this.
Old 10-23-21, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A good HUD is more than just this.

Agreed.....I like having the radio station displayed with it.

Quick Reply: 10 car features people want most (and 7 they want least)