Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 car features people want most (and 7 they want least)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-21, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
When we got our X6 last year, a few weeks later on the very first drive we took to see our daughter in Reston, a rock chipped the windshield around the Bethesda area of the highway, I think this is what you refer to as the Beltway? When my daughter had my x5, same thing happened to it around the same area.
Yep, 495 is the Beltway. The biggest issue is the Beltway between Bethesda and points east, like Silver Spring on around to New Hampshire Ave and past 95 around to PG county in MD. The Beltway between Bethesda and down into Northern Va is pretty good. I grew up in Bethesda and my Dad commuted every day to Landover in PG county so he drove that broken highly industrial area of the Beltway every day, tons of dump trucks etc. Always beat the **** out of the front of his cars and broke his windshields.

You drive through that area when you come down 95 and go west on 495. Thats not even the worst part, if you went south on 495 instead of west it would be even worse.

I live in Gaithersburg now about 10 minutes up 270, most of my highway driving is 270 and the VA side of the Beltway, and if I go east I typically take 200 up by me to 95.
Old 10-24-21, 08:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, 495 is the Beltway. The biggest issue is the Beltway between Bethesda and points east, like Silver Spring on around to New Hampshire Ave and past 95 around to PG county in MD. The Beltway between Bethesda and down into Northern Va is pretty good. I grew up in Bethesda and my Dad commuted every day to Landover in PG county so he drove that broken highly industrial area of the Beltway every day, tons of dump trucks etc. Always beat the **** out of the front of his cars and broke his windshields.

You drive through that area when you come down 95 and go west on 495. Thats not even the worst part, if you went south on 495 instead of west it would be even worse.

I live in Gaithersburg now about 10 minutes up 270, most of my highway driving is 270 and the VA side of the Beltway, and if I go east I typically take 200 up by me to 95.
Sound like the LIE here in NY, all my trucks go through at least one windshield because of the dump trucks on the LIE.

If there is one feature that I want in a car, its "see through" pillars. Already invented and can't come soon enough.
Old 10-24-21, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Unless I just missed it, one thing I think would make a lot of sense is to have a built-in vacuum in more vehicles to clean the footwells/seats and the area under the windshield wipers that collect a lot of dirt and leaves. Some minivans have it (or recently had it) to help clean up after kids....but IMO it would be useful for almost any type of vehicle.
Old 10-24-21, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless I just missed it, one thing I think would make a lot of sense is to have a built-in vacuum in more vehicles to clean the footwells/seats and the area under the windshield wipers that collect a lot of dirt and leaves. Some minivans have it (or recently had it) to help clean up after kids....but IMO it would be useful for almost any type of vehicle.
I have a vacuum in the Pacifica, we never use it. It’s not very powerful.
Old 10-24-21, 11:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

i have an ancient corded 'dirt devil' hand vacuum i use for the cars. it's powerful, fairly small, with handy attachments. most likely better than any in car vacuum could be.
Old 10-24-21, 11:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you dont let females/children into your car, no need for a vacuum.
Old 10-24-21, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
If you dont let females/children into your car, no need for a vacuum.
Word!

Its amazing to me. If my kids ride in my car for 3 minutes it’s a disaster.
Old 10-27-21, 09:49 AM
Papabear19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
For those that have a timeline of buying at specific intervals the long term age issues is less of a concern to manage. Those with the intent of a long term vehicle the simpler the better. The complexity of electronics makes servicing of them a dealer only option in most cases.

biometric may be nice if it works properly, obviously a traditional key or transponder fob for an override. I would like this
Touch displays are nice yet when they go south the integration can be very frustrating.

For me:
Blind spot monitoring is good.
Parking sensors are often coupled with blind spot monitoring anyhow.
Power seats with memory important.
So long as the car has A/C, cruise control (adaptive or not), ABS, door lock-unlock remotely that is my basics. I can do without a radio, MP3 and so on. Suffice Apple car play and Android integration are not a feature that would sway me.

I like that Tesla integrates cameras, this is a useful feature to have when traffic issues are recorded.
I would love a car with a dedicated USB Port for dash cam of all the cars cameras
Old 10-27-21, 10:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Papabear19
I would love a car with a dedicated USB Port for dash cam of all the cars cameras
Go watch Wham Bam Teslacam videos. So funny when people send in all of their TeslaCam footage. You see some crazy stuff.
Old 10-27-21, 10:52 AM
Papabear19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will look at the tonight
Old 10-27-21, 03:32 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Why do we have carpets in the cars anyway? I guess it's hard for me to understand that because I've never worn outside shoes inside my house much less onto my house carpet. I've always thrown out the car carpet mats and replaced them with rubberized mats.
Old 10-27-21, 03:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Why do we have carpets in the cars anyway? I guess it's hard for me to understand that because I've never worn outside shoes inside my house much less onto my house carpet. I've always thrown out the car carpet mats and replaced them with rubberized mats.
I'm with you. Carpets are so gross when its wet outside too. The all weather stuff you can get these days are really nice too. The OEM rubberized mats are no longer the go to anymore either.
Old 10-27-21, 03:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Not me. I hate rubber mats. They always look dirty. Even if I have to replace my carpeted mats every year or two, I wouldn't care. I'd still take them over rubber mats. I have a pile of them in my garage that go unused every year.
Old 10-28-21, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not me. I hate rubber mats. They always look dirty.
The flip side to that, of course, is that they are also a lot easier to clean than carpeted mats.
Old 10-28-21, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
I hate rubber mats. Nice plush carpet in a car has a lot to do with how comfortable and luxurious it feels.

Quick Reply: 10 car features people want most (and 7 they want least)