Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 car features people want most (and 7 they want least)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-21, 04:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Guess I'm not in the average statistics, I love HUDs and the gimmick features and infotainment don't do much for me.

Heated seats and nice I'll admit, not requited but then again my wife does think they are so....

BSM and lane keep is literally useless, reacts far too slowly and doesn't allow seem-less movements.

AWD is meh, depends on what the car is used for. I would vastly prefer TVD or 1.5 way LSDs to be more commonly offered instead as they actually massively improve high speed predicability and general traction.

Old 10-29-21, 04:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'd buy a truly hands free self driving car today. I love the Distronic on my car and use it every day, it pretty much drives itself. Well enough to be able to look at a text or find something new on the radio etc

I think some of this stuff once people experience it, they will want it. I can think of many features I never thought I wanted until I experienced them. Heated seats, cooled seats, massaging seats, brake hold, GPS navigation, advanced adaptive cruise (the steering is a big part of this, I never cared for adaptive cruise but with the steering added on my Mercedes I love it)
I partially agree with you, a lot of people think they don't want something they have never tried until they actually get a chance to use it.

Personally though.....adaptive cruise in the A8 is not very good and fails to detect and doesn't allow me to move around the same way as I normally would. It's fine for mindless right lane work though. Until it's as smooth as I am it doesn't do much but make me fuss and constantly second guess what the car is doing especially after it gave me two failures to detect that would've ended with me hitting a biker and a trailer. My trips go faster and smoother with less stress with it off. I have a feeling if I had the adaptive steering like you do this might change since it would allow me to "sign off" but I'm not sure that attitude is a good one to have...

Brake hold almost made me have a heart attack from anxiety. I swear I was at 150+ BPM for the 10 minutes I gave it try before I just couldn't take it anymore lol! Never using it again, I'm already more nervous than normal/not confident in my brakes since the 460 has a electromechanical booster, I just can't bring myself to use them the same way yet as I do in the A8 and 430. Mental block I'm sure, I should get over it after a track day.

Last edited by Striker223; 10-29-21 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 05:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I have a vacuum in the Pacifica, we never use it. It’s not very powerful.
This. If I'm going to take the time to clean a car I'm going to clean a car.
Old 10-29-21, 06:13 PM
Stumper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Ventilated Seats Only!

Out of all of those, I have no interest in any of them, except for ventilated seats. Lack of ventilated seats is a non-starter for me on any car or truck. I'd even sacrifice parking sensors for that. No point in driving if it's going to leave me feeling gross, right?
Old 10-29-21, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

The old Three-on-the-Tree column-shifts for manual transmissions were easy because you could see at a glance where the lever was (and there were only four positions for the lever)...but one thing I always felt vehicles should have on floor-mounted shifts for 5, 6 and 7-speed manual transmissions where you have a Double-H-Pattern, or more then the standard-H, is a light on the dashboard showing what gear you have the lever in BEFORE you left the clutch back out and either lug or overspeed the engine with the wrong gear. Some manual transmissions have a superb, crisp feel to the linkage, which lets you feel what gear and slot the lever is in (the old Honda FWD manual transmissions, the Mazda Miata RWD, and some of the older Toyota manuals for both FWD and RWD are among the best for feel). Some exotic Italian cars, though, have an equally-good set-up where the H-slots are exposed in the console, and you can see exactly what gear you are putting the lever in without a dash-light.

This, IMO, could be very important. In the days before computerized engines where the electronics wouldn't let the engine overspeed, if you we're trying, for example, in a typical 5-or 6-speed manual, to downshift into fourth, and accidentally hit second right next to it (or first, right next to third)...it could be a big lurch and possible drivetrain damage when you let the clutch back out.
Old 10-30-21, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
BSM and lane keep is literally useless, reacts far too slowly and doesn't allow seem-less movements.
You need to drive more modern cars with these features. I have only driven one car for instance where the BSM was "laggy", my cousins Nissan Rogue. All the cars I have had with BSM work great. BSM saved me from an accident just the other day. Great feature. Lane keep depends on the time, lane centering works great, lane keep not as much.

Personally though.....adaptive cruise in the A8 is not very good and fails to detect and doesn't allow me to move around the same way as I normally would. It's fine for mindless right lane work though. Until it's as smooth as I am it doesn't do much but make me fuss and constantly second guess what the car is doing especially after it gave me two failures to detect that would've ended with me hitting a biker and a trailer. My trips go faster and smoother with less stress with it off. I have a feeling if I had the adaptive steering like you do this might change since it would allow me to "sign off" but I'm not sure that attitude is a good one to have...
Like I said, adaptive cruise paired with lane centering or "self driving" is great. On its own, not so much.

You don't "sign off" you just direct less attention to driving, and you use less muscles to drive since it does most of the steering and that does result in less fatigue.

Brake hold almost made me have a heart attack from anxiety. I swear I was at 150+ BPM for the 10 minutes I gave it try before I just couldn't take it anymore lol! Never using it again, I'm already more nervous than normal/not confident in my brakes since the 460 has a electromechanical booster, I just can't bring myself to use them the same way yet as I do in the A8 and 430. Mental block I'm sure, I should get over it after a track day.
This is just silly, sorry lol.
Old 10-30-21, 11:54 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

You need to drive more modern cars with these features. I have only driven one car for instance where the BSM was "laggy", my cousins Nissan Rogue. All the cars I have had with BSM work great. BSM saved me from an accident just the other day. Great feature. Lane keep depends on the time, lane centering works great, lane keep not as much.

Like I said, adaptive cruise paired with lane centering or "self driving" is great. On its own, not so much.

You don't "sign off" you just direct less attention to driving, and you use less muscles to drive since it does most of the steering and that does result in less fatigue.

This is just silly, sorry lol.
So now there is lane centering and lane keep? Oh I get it. Lane keep will make you stay in your lane and lane center will bring your vehicle over 1.75 inches so it's centered in the lane. Good tech. Really useful.
Old 10-30-21, 11:59 AM
xjokerz
Racer

All this over-reliance on technology and gimmicks is going to cause accidents. When are you people going to stop? Learn to actually DRIVE the freakin' car. It's not hard. I've been doing it for 17 years so far with tons of miles each year. No accidents.

Defensive mechanisms are fine I guess like if you're driving normally and some idiot crosses the center line. But to rely on gimmicks to do your actual driving and hands free is just silly, dangerous, and should not be progressing in any way.

You like tech, go for it. Use it on your devices at home. Keep it out of our cars where someone can actually get hurt.
Old 10-30-21, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
So now there is lane centering and lane keep? Oh I get it. Lane keep will make you stay in your lane and lane center will bring your vehicle over 1.75 inches so it's centered in the lane. Good tech. Really useful.
All this over-reliance on technology and gimmicks is going to cause accidents. When are you people going to stop? Learn to actually DRIVE the freakin' car. It's not hard. I've been doing it for 17 years so far with tons of miles each year. No accidents.

Defensive mechanisms are fine I guess like if you're driving normally and some idiot crosses the center line. But to rely on gimmicks to do your actual driving and hands free is just silly, dangerous, and should not be progressing in any way.

You like tech, go for it. Use it on your devices at home. Keep it out of our cars where someone can actually get hurt.
"Lane centering" is automated driving. "Lane Keep" is designed to intervene if you mistakenly cross the line into another lane, it corrects for that error. Lane centering keeps the car between the lines for you. Different features.

You are anti- technology, we know. These features are only becoming more widespread in vehicles and they aren't going anywhere. Gotta deal with it. Automation makes things safer, not more dangerous. This has been proven over and over again.

Having a car with this technology, its awesome. I will never buy another car without it. It doesn't drive itself, but it does do most of the driving for you and really reduces strain on long trips.
Old 10-30-21, 12:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

"Lane centering" is automated driving. "Lane Keep" is designed to intervene if you mistakenly cross the line into another lane, it corrects for that error. Lane centering keeps the car between the lines for you. Different features.

You are anti- technology, we know. These features are only becoming more widespread in vehicles and they aren't going anywhere. Gotta deal with it. Automation makes things safer, not more dangerous. This has been proven over and over again.

Having a car with this technology, its awesome. I will never buy another car without it. It doesn't drive itself, but it does do most of the driving for you and really reduces strain on long trips.
I wish most large Suburbans had lane keep. Half of them are so big they intrude in my lane while driving. I say having this tech in the car makes everything safer. Automatic braking assist is also nice to have...saved me once as i was merging and someone slammed on the brakes. Good tech.
Old 10-30-21, 01:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I wish most large Suburbans had lane keep. Half of them are so big they intrude in my lane while driving. I say having this tech in the car makes everything safer. Automatic braking assist is also nice to have...saved me once as i was merging and someone slammed on the brakes. Good tech.
All this tech is good.
Old 10-30-21, 03:34 PM
xjokerz
Racer

No, I don't have to deal with it. I'll just buy cars that don't have this garbage. I'm guessing you've been driving quite a bit longer than me. What did you do before all this crap? Didn't you survive just fine?

All this automation being safer I don't buy. You believe what all these companies tell you? Of course they're going to say it's safe, they have an affiliation with companies that produce this stuff.

Nothing beats paying attention to driving. Tech fails and I don't wanna be doing 80 on some busy interstate while making a lane change by relying on some gimmick. No way I'll ever be comfortable with it.
Old 10-30-21, 03:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I could use BSM but visibility is excellent (another truck "thing" people overlook) and I always turn my head to check anyway. Rear cross alert would be nice. I'm so slow and careful in parking lots it probably annoys people.
Old 10-30-21, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, I don't have to deal with it. I'll just buy cars that don't have this garbage. I'm guessing you've been driving quite a bit longer than me. What did you do before all this crap? Didn't you survive just fine?

All this automation being safer I don't buy. You believe what all these companies tell you? Of course they're going to say it's safe, they have an affiliation with companies that produce this stuff.

Nothing beats paying attention to driving. Tech fails and I don't wanna be doing 80 on some busy interstate while making a lane change by relying on some gimmick. No way I'll ever be comfortable with it.
You can keep buying old cars all you want, but other cars on the road will have this tech is my point. Gotta deal with that.

Lots of new technology has come along that has made many things I do and have done for a long time easier and better.

Automation has always improved safety, you can see the evidence of that everywhere. Manufacturing is more automated, and safer. Avionics is more automated, and safer. Human error is the greatest cause of accidents.

Technology is actually very reliable. You could have a heart attack at 80 MPH and crash. Statistically I bet that’s a whole lot more likely than a driving aid failure.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-30-21 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-30-21, 06:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

What is it that you don’t like? When I drive my fathers Avalon, I use it just once and quickly reaffirm it’s something I really don’t care for.

There is also lane keep,alert. Just warns you. Have it on my 21 4R and I HATE it. Plus, my other half knows when I cut people off with no signal lol

We drove our 04 4R tonight. Went to see a hockey game and I needed to fill up on gas. No screen. No beeps. No safety stuff like my 21 4R…such a nice relaxing drive. (Phones go on auto do not disturb). My V8 and full time 4WD…priceless

Originally Posted by AJT123
I could use BSM but visibility is excellent (another truck "thing" people overlook) and I always turn my head to check anyway. Rear cross alert would be nice. I'm so slow and careful in parking lots it probably annoys people.
The 22 4R now has BSM as an option. I missed out on the 21 model year. I would have purchased the option. But can live without it m

Quick Reply: 10 car features people want most (and 7 they want least)