Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 car features people want most (and 7 they want least)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-21, 08:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Hell Steve, let's just become robots. That way we don't have to think anymore. We can have machines/computers do everything for us. That's where you're headed with all your crap tech.
You take everything to the complete extreme. I can think about things that actually matter when technology removes or reduces my need to thing about minutiae. For instance I have a calendar in my pocket that always tells me where I need to be and people can schedule time with me and see when I'm available and when I'm not, that removes the energy drain of having to keep track of my day and organize my schedule. I have smart home assistants in my home I can tell to order groceries or remind me to do things, and that reduces the mental load it takes for me to remember to write things down. We have an app where we order groceries and they bring them to us...we don't go to the grocery store anymore.

It extends beyond cars, but when you have a very busy life you only have so much mental space to devote to things, and that creates stress. Technology lifts some of that mental load and reduces stress.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Took me a year and half to "train" my wife on how to car, it's not a problem anymore thankfully but for a while there when we were not married yet it REALLY got stressful.
There's no training my wife LOL

I drove several 2021s and the system in my 15 A8 is quite modern I think? It just doesn't work reliably, there are so many times when I go to move it reacts well after I have already done something. That or it thinks I can't move when I most certainly can. I end up having to manually check anyway, if I had the ability to fully trust the BSM light great. As it stands I would have crashed at least 20 times if I trusted it and never looked
This technology is moving so fast, whats in your 15 A8 is pretty outdated. Audi has a new system that came out on the D5 A8 that is much, much better. Even what I have in my 20 S560 is outdated.

I don't know man, the brake hold just really freaks me out. I've had too many car with failed or weak brakes come through my shop and that constant feeling/fear it's going to just move without warning is there. After you have had cars do that to you it does something to your trust of systems like that. It's probably like I said just me but I know too well how it works and that single line leading from the master to the brake modules just concerns me. I've had the Mercedes system fail on me during a test drive and I really am glad I checked the parking brake before I went out with that car......and I knew in that case the issue was something to do with brakes.
It has failsafes, if it has slippage it uses the parking brake and/or puts the car in park. I've been using this system in various cars since 2015 and have never experienced anything that even hinted that it might fail.

his over-reliance on tech is sucking the life out of everyone. The amount of anxiety in the average American is through the roof. Checking their phone every 2 minutes for some notification that doesn't matter. Texting 80 random messages over the course of a day instead of a 4 minute conversation. It's become a joke. It's taken me not having a smartphone since January to realize this. Nobody talks anymore, nobody relaxes, nothing. No sense of adventure because everyone is in a rush. That and/or too scatter-brained to pay attention to something for longer than a few minutes.
I have no interest in talking to anybody on the phone. Talking on the phone is a huge time and focus suck, texting intermittently throughout the day while doing other things is way more efficient. When you call people instead of text them, I guarantee they groan when they see you calling. So in that case you are forcing your preferences onto them...which isn't right.

That "80 back and forth text convo" can be had at the same time as I am talking to other people about other things, and working. It can happen when I am places that talking on the phone is innapropriate. If I had "4 minute phone calls" with everybody I talk to in a given day, I would spend all day on the phone and would have to work into the evenings to catch up on what I couldnt do while I was on the phone. No thanks.

There are certainly times when a phone conversation is way more effective, but for the vast majority of the things you communicate to others throughout the day, texting is way preferable. For instance, while posting this I have had text conversations with 4 people...if I had to talk to all 4 of them I would still be on the phone with multiple call backs waiting. Stress.

You long for a time in the world that just doesn't exist anymore. Makes no sense to wish things were a way that they just aren't and never will be again, and changing your behavior just puts you out of step with society and creates no change.

You brought up the heart attack in a car. That is dangerous and I understand tech that can help with that. If you think I'm against EVERY bit of tech in 2021+, you're wrong. The problem is, 99% of tech is useless and just a waste of time.
Your opinion, I completely disagree with the bulk of the tech we've been talking about. There are exceptions.

I would also question how much time you've spent using these technologies in cars, my guess is very little to none.
Old 10-31-21, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Or it could be like my 92 Saturn where the linkage just snaps in half while driving it on its first drive in 21 years. That was fun, even fixed up it doesn't have a crisp feel at all and could very much benefit from an indicator of gear.

That or I just still suck at driving stick.
If it sat for 21 years without being driven, it's likely the linkage rusted to the point where it couldn't take the pressure anymore.
Old 10-31-21, 11:44 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes. You like myself have both ways of starting cars. I have no issues with the key. Found an Easter egg in my new 4R. The key fob has short range keyless start without the need for the app or subscription, it was never advertised

\y.
I think my LX may have remote start based on some stuff I've been reading. I haven't gotten around to testing it but I will today.

With Lexus the engine turns off when you open the door which is kind of stupid but hey, get that auto a/c/heat/seat heaters going via remote start.
Old 10-31-21, 11:44 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You take everything to the complete extreme. I can think about things that actually matter when technology removes or reduces my need to thing about minutiae. For instance I have a calendar in my pocket that always tells me where I need to be and people can schedule time with me and see when I'm available and when I'm not, that removes the energy drain of having to keep track of my day and organize my schedule. I have smart home assistants in my home I can tell to order groceries or remind me to do things, and that reduces the mental load it takes for me to remember to write things down. We have an app where we order groceries and they bring them to us...we don't go to the grocery store anymore.

It extends beyond cars, but when you have a very busy life you only have so much mental space to devote to things, and that creates stress. Technology lifts some of that mental load and reduces stress.

There's no training my wife LOL

This technology is moving so fast, whats in your 15 A8 is pretty outdated. Audi has a new system that came out on the D5 A8 that is much, much better. Even what I have in my 20 S560 is outdated.

It has failsafes, if it has slippage it uses the parking brake and/or puts the car in park. I've been using this system in various cars since 2015 and have never experienced anything that even hinted that it might fail.

I have no interest in talking to anybody on the phone. Talking on the phone is a huge time and focus suck, texting intermittently throughout the day while doing other things is way more efficient. When you call people instead of text them, I guarantee they groan when they see you calling. So in that case you are forcing your preferences onto them...which isn't right.

That "80 back and forth text convo" can be had at the same time as I am talking to other people about other things, and working. It can happen when I am places that talking on the phone is innapropriate. If I had "4 minute phone calls" with everybody I talk to in a given day, I would spend all day on the phone and would have to work into the evenings to catch up on what I couldnt do while I was on the phone. No thanks.

There are certainly times when a phone conversation is way more effective, but for the vast majority of the things you communicate to others throughout the day, texting is way preferable. For instance, while posting this I have had text conversations with 4 people...if I had to talk to all 4 of them I would still be on the phone with multiple call backs waiting. Stress.

You long for a time in the world that just doesn't exist anymore. Makes no sense to wish things were a way that they just aren't and never will be again, and changing your behavior just puts you out of step with society and creates no change.

Your opinion, I completely disagree with the bulk of the tech we've been talking about. There are exceptions.

I would also question how much time you've spent using these technologies in cars, my guess is very little to none.
So a text message conversation when you're just reading words on a screen and those messages throughout an entire day, when you have many things going on and you may forget the context of some of that conversation, that is more efficient than just simply talking to someone for 10 minutes on the phone and being done with it? I don't think so.

I don't know your life. You evidently live it a lot differently than I do. Perhaps you have more going on and you have a good system that works for you. That is good. If people want this stuff then more power to them.

I need to realize that at the end of the day, it's opinion regarding what we think of this tech. It's just that I don't want any part of it. I have my computer at home where I do anything that I can't do in person and for some entertainment when I want some down-time. I have a copy/fax/printer machine. When I get around 5-600 pictures of my girls (not counting the blurry ones) I get them printed and put in albums so they don't get lost if something happened to my computer or whatever. I have a really nice camera. I just don't care for all these devices. Again, if you all like it then great.
Old 10-31-21, 12:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

So a text message conversation when you're just reading words on a screen and those messages throughout an entire day, when you have many things going on and you may forget the context of some of that conversation, that is more efficient than just simply talking to someone for 10 minutes on the phone and being done with it? I don't think so.

I don't know your life. You evidently live it a lot differently than I do. Perhaps you have more going on and you have a good system that works for you. That is good. If people want this stuff then more power to them.
I run multiple businesses, and I have a young family. If I had to spend 10 minutes on the phone with everyone I talk to in a given day, I would have to work 3 times as many hours in a day as I work.

People just don’t want to talk on the phone either. I don’t blame them.

I need to realize that at the end of the day, it's opinion regarding what we think of this tech. It's just that I don't want any part of it. I have my computer at home where I do anything that I can't do in person and for some entertainment when I want some down-time. I have a copy/fax/printer machine. When I get around 5-600 pictures of my girls (not counting the blurry ones) I get them printed and put in albums so they don't get lost if something happened to my computer or whatever. I have a really nice camera. I just don't care for all these devices. Again, if you all like it then great.
Yes, you do. Most people like and want new technology.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-31-21 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-31-21, 02:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

A Clicklist for groceries is also convenient because it remembers everything in your cart over the week, at least the Kroger app.