Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This Is How Lexus Is Going After Younger Consumers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-21, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That's true but also some of the fuel saving measures are horrendous that IDK how anyone could care for, like start/stop. GM V8s started getting finicky with cylinder deactivation years back, even on then-modern V8s.

I believe they say your Mercedes is seamless with the start/stop, that's about the only car I've heard that about.

The only way I could tolerate that is if I could tell absolutely literally no difference, that anything was happening at all.

If CAFE didn't exist I still think cars would be cleaner than ever, but we'd still have plenty of big NA engines and V8s left.
I defeated the start/stop on both my cars. I hate that too, with 48V electric systems it seamless, but mine doesnt have one.
Old 11-02-21, 12:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I defeated the start/stop on both my cars. I hate that too, with 48V electric systems it seamless, but mine doesnt have one.
I wouldn't want that hybrid either, that V8 is plenty I'm sure. Or I wouldn't yearn for it if I bought an S-class without it.

The thing with stop start I noticed the times I've driven a car with one I instinctively put my hand on the shifter like I'm driving a manual and it's in neutral when the start/stop activates and the engine cuts. I'm sure I'd get more used to it in time, but hell no I would turn it off every single drive.
Old 11-02-21, 12:27 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Are we talking about power or acceleration times here? Acceleration times can be affected in many ways from transmission gearing to tires to the weather. Lexus never claimed this is the fastest accelerating IS yet.
Everything in this case. To me it sounds that they are implying that it is the most powerful, thus the fastest IS ever. Either way, it’s pointless to argue, since I am not even remotely interested in buying this car. Just saddens me to see Lexus go down the drain year after year, especially when their bigger sister Toyota has all the money in the world to build new powertrains for this brand.

To be honest, I am not even sure what is up with Toyota these days. The fact that they had to use BMW engines in their latest Supra, pretty much confirms that they’re no longer capable of producing any engines that would be on par or even better than what their rivals build.
Old 11-02-21, 12:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Everything in this case. To me it sounds that they are implying that it is the most powerful, thus the fastest IS ever.
Lexus IS not implying anything other than….they ar saying…. The most powerful Lexus IS ever is the new IS500 Fsport. I don’t know how that can be interpreted that they are lying
Old 11-02-21, 12:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

See…not all new tech is great. Your Mercedes engine would feel even greater if it was a larger displacement

The thing with stop start I noticed the times I've driven a car with one I instinctively put my hand on the shifter like I'm driving a manual and it's in neutral when the start/stop activates and the engine cuts. I'm sure I'd get more used to it in time, but hell no I would turn it off every single drive.
Start stop is terrible. Not luxurious at all. A fuel saver…yes. New Lexus models as well Toyota models are coming with it in the US. Rav, Highlander and the new NX have it.
Old 11-02-21, 12:40 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus IS not implying anything other than….they ar saying…. The most powerful Lexus IS ever is the new IS500 Fsport. I don’t know how that can be interpreted that they are lying
I guess we’ll see how many they’ll sell and how fast they’ll discontinue it.
Old 11-02-21, 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't want that hybrid either, that V8 is plenty I'm sure. Or I wouldn't yearn for it if I bought an S-class without it.

The 48V mild hybrid adds to the V8, its on the S580 V8.

I actually bought modules for both cars to defeat the auto start stop for good
Old 11-02-21, 01:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I actually bought modules for both cars to defeat the auto start stop for good
How does that work??

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
See…not all new tech is great. Your Mercedes engine would feel even greater if it was a larger displacement
The old 382hp NA 5.5 in the beginning 2007 W221 was a very, very gushed over motor and has turned out to be decently reliable. It's outpowered now by all the turbos of course but everyone who drove it loved it. Who knows what it would be now if they didn't have to downsize. 5.5L is a damn good size.
Old 11-02-21, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How does that work??
On the Mercedes its a module that plugs into the OBDII port and just reprograms the computer, and then it remembers the last setting on or off vs it defaulting to on. For the Chrysler it was a module I had to remove an interior panel and wire in.
Old 11-02-21, 01:53 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

That just isn't true. If you look at any study that looks into what consumers look for in a vehicle fuel economy is always at or near the top of the list. We are enthusiasts, the vast majority of buyers are not enthusiasts.
Doesnt that mean who you ask and how many of those people you asked and how honest they are with themselves? The fact that giant trucks and pickups moves out the door like crazy means FE isnt thhaaaat big of a concern. It doesnt matter what the CAFE numbers are on the window sticker, in real life, FE is vastly different and more often than not lower than what is stated. There is no free lunches, power is power and you dont magically make more power from the same drop of fuel. If FE is of such high importance, Hybrids would be atop of the sales charts by now and transition to EVs over the next 10 to 15yrs.
Old 11-02-21, 02:17 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Doesnt that mean who you ask and how many of those people you asked and how honest they are with themselves? The fact that giant trucks and pickups moves out the door like crazy means FE isnt thhaaaat big of a concern. It doesnt matter what the CAFE numbers are on the window sticker, in real life, FE is vastly different and more often than not lower than what is stated. There is no free lunches, power is power and you dont magically make more power from the same drop of fuel. If FE is of such high importance, Hybrids would be atop of the sales charts by now and transition to EVs over the next 10 to 15yrs.
Both can be right. A lot of people buy the giant trucks and still complain, just like a lot of people buy cars that requires premium gas, but they end up filling them with regular gas because they can't keep up.
Old 11-03-21, 09:37 AM
mogi68
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The powertrain is only one component - one that most people who aren't enthusiasts don't care about.

The spindle grill looks like ****. Every model looks like it has an axe wound in the front. With a couple of exceptions like maybe the IS and the LC, no young person with money is going to look at a modern Lexus and go OMG I have to have it!

Old 11-03-21, 10:16 AM
kgbman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yup...only concentrate on your core market. Worked great for Cadillac and Buick
its all in "how you do it" not in "what you doing".
GM would fail no matter which demographic it would target.
Old 11-03-21, 11:10 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mogi68
The powertrain is only one component - one that most people who aren't enthusiasts don't care about.

The spindle grill looks like ****. Every model looks like it has an axe wound in the front. With a couple of exceptions like maybe the IS and the LC, no young person with money is going to look at a modern Lexus and go OMG I have to have it!
I agree - I’ve hated the spindle grille since day1. And they stuck with it, so I haven’t been in a Lexus dealership in the last 10 years at least. I went Audi and then Porsche in the meantime.
Old 11-03-21, 11:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbman
its all in "how you do it" not in "what you doing".
GM would fail no matter which demographic it would target.
I don't think they even tried until later...and by that point, it was too late. Lexus is making an attempt to get younger buyers and kudos to them for this. The IS500 is a wonderful starting point to get in some new blood...hopefully they do even more.

Quick Reply: This Is How Lexus Is Going After Younger Consumers