Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remember power antennas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-21, 10:19 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I remember my dad's cars had power antennas, he would forget to turn the radio off at the carwash and they would get destroyed regularly, they were on the trunk so he never saw them. I remember us replacing them in the driveway ourselves several times. My Explorer had one on the front.
Yes, the same thing happened to us when we were kids; pull into the car wash, the brushes start and my dad turns on the radio to get the football scores, Antenna goes up, brushes neatly snap it off. I go home having learned some new swear words.
Old 10-30-21, 02:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Power antennas - pure garbage. Slow, noisy, fragile, ugly.
Old 10-30-21, 02:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think some cars even hard an "antenna" button, to retract the antenna at a car wash. Its 2021 and we still have AM/FM radio, but I don't know if any cars have built in apps for streaming audio services, etc - most require a smartphone and rely either on their own apps or apple/google service to display the apps on the infotainment screen.
Old 10-30-21, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

All of the cars we had with power antennas the radio had to be off for the antenna to go down
Old 10-30-21, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Its 2021 and we still have AM/FM radio,
What REALLY surprises me is that we still have AM (Amplitude Modulation) radio in the 21st century. Its transmission generally goes further than FM (Frequency Modulation) radio, but AM reception can sometimes be pure crap, and lightning from thunderstorms causes a lot of static. FM, though not as strong on the signals, is far better quality.....particularly FM stereo.
Old 10-30-21, 08:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What REALLY surprises me is that we still have AM (Amplitude Modulation) radio in the 21st century. Its transmission generally goes further than FM (Frequency Modulation) radio, but AM reception can sometimes be pure crap, and lightning from thunderstorms causes a lot of static. FM, though not as strong on the signals, is far better quality.....particularly FM stereo.
Most cars these days support "HD radio", and those AM stations that are broadcasting in HD have substantially better quality.

Old 10-30-21, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Most cars these days support "HD radio", and those AM stations that are broadcasting in HD have substantially better quality.

I listen to some traditional FM or FM/stereo stations, particularly for local news and weather (always something going on in the D.C. area), but, in general, I've become an addict of XM Sirius radio....and I'm willing to pay for a subscription to get it.

One of my MM-quotes is "You either Sirius or you're kidding"
Old 10-30-21, 08:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had to listen to FM radio for an hour on my way to WV when I had a total signal dump out and it was awful.
Old 10-30-21, 08:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

XM Sirius broadcasts at 64kbs, it hurts my ears. Radio is fine for news/talk, for music I use streaming. I've been doing it since like 2007, back in blackberry days even.
Old 10-30-21, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I had to listen to FM radio for an hour on my way to WV when I had a total signal dump out and it was awful.
Unlike the otherwise-crap AM signals which can at least transmit over the horizon or for longer distances, FM signals are generally line-of-sight. That means that a number of things, even at relatively short-range, can interfere with them or block them. Almost all of the state of WV (and much of western VA) varies from hilly to mountainous, except for the Shenandoah Valley and a small area in the Eastern Panhandle around Charles Town and Martinsburg....so, yes, FM signals usually aren't going to travel very far with much quality.

That's why I like XM Sirius radio....works off of orbiting satellites, and line-of-sight interference from buildings or terrain is never a problem. You'll hear the same station just as clear and full, whether you are in New York or San Francisco.
Old 10-30-21, 09:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
XM Sirius broadcasts at 64kbs, it hurts my ears. Radio is fine for news/talk, for music I use streaming. I've been doing it since like 2007, back in blackberry days even.
I don’t listen to XM/Sirius over satellite. I listen to streaming in lossless quality. XM sounds a little better over streaming too, but I still extremely rarely listen to it.

Big issue with FM is commercials. I’m just not accustomed to watching or listening to anything with commercials.
Old 10-30-21, 09:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I don’t listen to XM/Sirius over satellite. I listen to streaming in lossless quality. XM sounds a little better over streaming too, but I still extremely rarely listen to it.

Big issue with FM is commercials. I’m just not accustomed to watching or listening to anything with commercials.
Yeah, with paid streaming services commercials are a thing of the past. For measly 10 bucks a month, this is so worth it.
Old 10-30-21, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, with paid streaming services commercials are a thing of the past. For measly 10 bucks a month, this is so worth it.
Totally worth it
Old 10-30-21, 10:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

I remember my dad's cars had power antennas, he would forget to turn the radio off at the carwash and they would get destroyed regularly, they were on the trunk so he never saw them. I remember us replacing them in the driveway ourselves several times. My Explorer had one on the front.
Originally Posted by Big Andy
Yes, the same thing happened to us when we were kids; pull into the car wash, the brushes start and my dad turns on the radio to get the football scores, Antenna goes up, brushes neatly snap it off. I go home having learned some new swear words.
I got a great laugh out of this, thanks guys lol!

I very much remember them, I have one in the driveway that is once again in need of repair. It's actually the only thing broken on the RX believe it or not, that and the endlessly annoying sun visor

I'm soon selling it however so this time will be last time I replace the mast. If it breaks again whoever owns it next will have to deal with it.
Old 10-31-21, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG ANDY
'Yes, the same thing happened to us when we were kids; pull into the car wash, the brushes start and my dad turns on the radio to get the football scores, Antenna goes up, brushes neatly snap it off. I go home having learned some new swear words."

..........and, perhaps, some lessons from the disclaimer-signs at the car wash itself.

Quick Reply: Remember power antennas?