Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ZipCharge Go powerbank for EVs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 11:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default ZipCharge Go powerbank for EVs

ZipCharge has launched a new type of charging product for EVs that might be able to convince people worried about range anxiety to switch from gas vehicles. The British startup has introduced a powerbank for EVs called ZipCharge Go at the Cop26 climate summit. It's about the size of a suitcase and weighs around 50 pounds — plus, it has wheels and a retractable handle, so users can put it in their trunk and easily take it out when they need to charge.

According to the company, the Go can provide up 20 miles of range after being plugged into the car for 30 minutes. A higher capacity version will be able to provide an EV up to 40 miles of range. The device works with any plug-in hybrid or EV with a Type 2 socket, and it can charge that vehicle to its full capacity between 30 minutes to an hour. Charging up the device itself is as easy as plugging it into any socket, and users will be able to control and monitor it through an app, where they can schedule future charges during off-peak hours for cheaper costs.

While range anxiety is becoming less of an issue these days, it's still keeping those on the fence from making the leap. A company called Gogoro developed hot-swappable battery technology for scooters to address the problem, but batteries in electric cars typically can't be swapped out. SparkCharge has a portable EV charging system called the Roadie, but it's not nearly as easy to carry around as the Go.

That said, the ZipCharge Go isn't available yet. According to InsideEVs, the startup plans to release a 4 kWh and an 8 kWh version, as well as to start deliveries in the fourth quarter of 2022. It can be leased for at least £49 (US$67) per month, though it will also be available for purchase to EV owners who don't mind paying for one and to businesses like hotels that don't have installed charging facilities. While ZipCharge has yet to reveal a price for it, The Sunday Times Driving section says the company aims to sell it for around the same cost as a 7.2kW home charging port installation.
Source
Old 11-04-21, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default EV charging option to put in the trunk/frunk

Yeah, a 50+lb battery you can cart around to charge your car 20mi. range in a pinch. I guess at least it doesn't smell like a 5 gallon gas can that gives 100mi. range.

article on it.

https://www.engadget.com/zip-charge-...s&guccounter=1
Old 11-04-21, 07:44 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This type of system is perfect for AAA and tow companies to use. Similar to a gallon of gas if you run out and call them for assistance.
Old 11-04-21, 07:56 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by ABC
This type of system is perfect for AAA and tow companies to use. Similar to a gallon of gas if you run out and call them for assistance.
Agreed, perfect scenario for using it
Old 11-04-21, 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Agreed, perfect scenario for using it
Wouldn’t it be more convenient for the tow truck as well as the driver to just get towed to the nearest charger?
Old 11-04-21, 07:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
In most cases, it's quicker for AAA to tow you to the nearest charger. AAA actually has looked into charging for roadside assistance, and determined that it's not really worth their investment.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Wouldn’t it be more convenient for the tow truck as well as the driver to just get towed to the nearest charger?
Yes - this is actually what AAA does.
Old 11-04-21, 08:05 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It would depend on your AAA plan coverage. 5, 100, or 200 miles. It would also be more likely in CA at least to find a near charger, other places might be harder.
Old 11-04-21, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Definitely seems like a step in the right direction for those who don't have built-in chargers at home, although the weight (50 lb) might rule out the possibility of older, weak, or infirm people from lugging it around.

Also begs the question of just what kind of EV that charger-plug itself will fit. I may be wrong, but I don't think that all EVs have the same plug-design. Teslas might, but I'm not sure of the others.
Old 11-04-21, 08:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely seems like a step in the right direction for those who don't have built-in chargers at home, although the weight (50 lb) might rule out the possibility of older, weak, or infirm people from lugging it around.

Also begs the question of just what kind of EV that charger-plug itself will fit. I may be wrong, but I don't think that all EVs have the same plug-design. Teslas might, but I'm not sure of the others.
All the others have CCS1 or CCS2 in Europe. Its all standardized now except for Tesla in the US. Tesla actually uses CCS in Europe.
Old 11-04-21, 08:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

this is useful only when you are out of power, and they can bring it out to you. Otherwise no reason to use this at home, even if your parking spot is not around, it will be faster to take your car to nearest fast charger and properly charge it...
Old 11-04-21, 08:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

If people cant remember to charge their vehicle before leaving the house, what makes them think they will remember to charge this thing? A 50lb thing that will most likely be out of sight or in the trunk?
Old 11-04-21, 09:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I don't think 99.9 percent of EV owners need this. Most people plan out their longer trip routes, and at least where we live there are charging stations within a few miles of each other all over the Bay Area. Practically every shopping center, mall or public parking place has chargers. The most we've ever let our charge get down to is 44 percent
Old 11-04-21, 09:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
If people cant remember to charge their vehicle before leaving the house, what makes them think they will remember to charge this thing? A 50lb thing that will most likely be out of sight or in the trunk?
Its niche use case for sure. A Tesla will actively re-route you if you are low on power and tell you that you need a Supercharger. I image other EVs do the same now. This would be in case you are in the middle of nowhere and its a backup that you have access to. Can't imagine it will sell very many.
Old 11-04-21, 09:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why is it a step in the right direction? In case someone arrives home in their EV and has no charge left?

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't think 99.9 percent of EV owners need this.
agreed!

Carting that thing around all the time will lower a vehicle's range, too, not to mention eating a chunk of cargo space.

Not only that, i didn't see any data, but i imagine it doesn't charge a car very fast, but that probably doesn't matter that much as it will be flat in no time.
Old 11-04-21, 09:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why is it a step in the right direction? In case someone arrives home in their EV and has no charge left?

agreed!

Carting that thing around all the time will lower a vehicle's range, too, not to mention eating a chunk of cargo space.

Not only that, i didn't see any data, but i imagine it doesn't charge a car very fast, but that probably doesn't matter that much as it will be flat in no time.
Also, the new EVs are coming with the ability to charge other vehicles (Hyundai Ioniq). Service vehicles with 200kwh battery packs will probably be able to go charge other EVs in the event that juice is run out.

Quick Reply: ZipCharge Go powerbank for EVs