Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus's new F performance structure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 05:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think whoring the F-Sport name dilutes things. It's no longer a special option when it can be had in so many different forms. Who knows, we'll see how it plays out.
I think it was *****d out long time ago. IS250 F-sport, RX F-sport, NX F-sport...all just makeup. No substance.
Old 11-03-21, 05:53 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

F-Sport only has meaning if the F brand is alive and kicking, which is hard to say when there's literally only been 4 F vehicles in the entire history of Lexus (IS, GS, RC, and LFA)- all released at different times. So I don't think there was much of anything to dilute.
Old 11-03-21, 07:21 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Owned a F sport RX, it was unnecessary louder and suspension was hard. 2013 F sport the only Lexus we regretted buying. I actually rear ended someone 10 mins after buying the car because the brakes sucked so bad. Oem brakes in the RX are very soft and not 2 piston calipers on the front and 1 piston in the rear. Shared highlander and sienna..

On LS F sport attest we got some bigger brakes and GS sport also was the same case. the NX /RX and anything else F sport useless.

Originally Posted by Motorola
The problem with F-Sport is that it has never been consistently applied. On the RX it's just an appearance package while on the GS, it gave actual performance upgrades like adaptive suspension, rear steer, bigger brakes, etc. And the GS was a relatively sporty car even in the base model to begin with.

Either way, I don't think the LC has much time left on the clock for any F upgrade with Toyota killing V8's left and right. Heck, it took them almost 3 years just to release a convertible.
Old 11-04-21, 03:27 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

What is the point of F Sport when there is no real F cars?

LFA, gone
ISF, gone
GSF, gone
RC F is on its way out.

LC is not a F car, it’s Grand Touring.

The original F is the LS400, which stood for Flagship. Engineering something extraordinary, not some pieces of trim and a harsher ride. Lexus IS trying to milk the F brand without realising it has dried up long time ago.

Old 11-04-21, 09:03 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, folks, Michael here from the ClubLexus editorial team. We have an article with a little more context here -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...formance-line/ -- but this is what I've learned speaking directly with Lexus at SEMA this week --

First, they're going to be introducing more than 20 new/updated models in the next few years. Personally, I assume this means more F and F Sport Performance models. Next, I agree that adding extra words makes things clunky and confusing, especially when there aren't any new vehicles, but here's basically what the new structure means...
  • F Sport Design (F Sport badge is all gray) is really the only NEW category announced this week. It's for customers who want the LOOK of F Sport (Black grilles & grey wheels) only.
  • F Sport Handing (white background badge) effectively equals F Sport as it is today. In addition to exterior upgrades, you get the sport seats, steering wheel, and revised suspension tuning.
  • F Sport Performance (black background badge), as introduced with the IS 500, adds in a more powerful drivetrain. (Sadly, I don't think they'll all be 2UR-GSE V8s, but who knows)
  • And F will remain the pinnacle of Lexus performance... as soon as they start releasing new ones.
And, yes, I agree it's strange for them to focus more on F Sport than F. BMW M Sports or Caddilac V-Sports are nothing without their benchmark M and V models. But I'm hoping we'll get more exciting Fs in the coming months/years. And the F Sport models (now F Sport Handling) do look great are really fun to drive despite having standard powertrains.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Last edited by MPalmer; 11-04-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 09:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
Any indication of LC500 Fsport model?
Old 11-04-21, 09:08 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
Any indication of LC500 Fsport model?
Nope, these folks are very tight-lipped about future products.

Personally, though, I agree with the commenter above that the LC is already pretty much an F Sport (especially the carbon fiber roof coupes), so my guess is that resurrecting the canceled LC F would be more likely. But that's just speculation on my part.
Old 11-04-21, 10:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

It would be nice to have Fsport model that builds on the Performance package and includes Fsport interior trim/colors, sportier suspension, unique wheels with upgraded tire package. Again there are MANY ways they can upgrade regular LC500 to create Fsport model.
Old 11-04-21, 12:00 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll be happy with a few fsport performances models, mainly in the sedans, don't care much for the SUVs. I still think they need a GS type car in the lineup that would wear the fsport performances badge perfectly, in the mid 70s. I don't think that I'd the ES, should be a sexy 4 door coupe like vehicle with awd. Would be nice if they paid homage to the GS and included the G in the naming as well, like GES Fsport Performance lol.
Old 11-04-21, 01:04 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

But you see. Real sport cars don’t need to have a badge telling people it’s a sports car 😀

It should be earned and not told.

Just imagine how ridiculous it would be if Lexus starts sticking a C badge on its model to tell people it’s a “comfort” car because they have ruined it with the F upgrades.
Old 11-04-21, 01:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
But you see. Real sport cars don’t need to have a badge telling people it’s a sports car 😀

It should be earned and not told.

Just imagine how ridiculous it would be if Lexus starts sticking a C badge on its model to tell people it’s a “comfort” car because they have ruined it with the F upgrades.
‘What’s the big deal?

look what MB does

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-04-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-04-21, 01:52 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Oh hell just shove the 5L V8 into anything that fits, price it appropriately a la IS500 and call it a day.
Old 11-04-21, 02:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

good stuff from Lexus, people have been asking for this forever now.
Old 11-04-21, 03:41 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
We have? We asked for badges and confusion or did we ask for new models and powertrains?
Old 11-04-21, 03:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
What stuff?!
All i see are empty words without products.

The proper thing is to have each variant lined up and say here is the different levels of F brand. So far its more confusion than anything else.

Quick Reply: Lexus's new F performance structure