Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus's new F performance structure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Lexus's new F performance structure

Lexus just announced a new F brand strategy at SEMA, and while the products themselves are not getting a massive overhaul yet, it’s vital to understand the new terms if you plan on being in the market for a sporty Lexus soon.

Prior to today, we had F Sport, F Sport Performance and F. The F Sport cars were mostly aesthetic upgrades, and while some of them had performance upgrades, not all of them did. Only one F Sport Performance vehicle exists now, and it’s the IS 500 F Sport Performance. Meanwhile, we have a number of F models, which is Lexus’ highest-performance moniker.

Going forward, there will be four performance tiers: F SPORT Design, F SPORT Handling, F SPORT Performance and F. We’ll lay out Lexus’ definitions of all four below for you.
  • F SPORT Design: These vehicles may feature sport-inspired exterior design, including unique front and rear bumpers, grille and wheels.
  • F SPORT Handling: Will build on Design with sport-tuned suspension components honed at the track, including Adaptive Variable Suspension.
  • F SPORT Performance: In addition to the updated suspension components, these models may receive a higher-performance powertrain, as seen in the 2022 IS 500.
  • F: As the highest expression of Lexus performance, F models will be further upgraded with innovative components developed for the racetrack, including upgraded brakes, advanced aerodynamics and lightweight materials.
So there you have it. Similar to the Germans with multiple layers of AMG, Audi Sport and BMW M, Lexus will have multiple layers of F.
Source
Old 11-03-21, 12:52 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Unnecessary.

Just get rid of F Sport all together and only have F and non F.

Only the F variant differentiates itself from the market.
Old 11-03-21, 01:31 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is such a nonsense but I guess it will depend on the model lke NX will only get Handling package while RX might get Performance and so on.
Old 11-03-21, 01:33 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Let's hope they have F'n updated powertrains (please)!
Old 11-03-21, 02:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I swear, this brand becomes more confusing every year. Zero need for all of this. Another story stated that the ES F sport will qualify as a Fsport Handling. Lol. Then you have IS 500 with an RC F engine.

Doing too much with way to little.
Old 11-03-21, 02:58 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

This is basically a copy of BMW's M naming structure without the actual vehicles to fill the slots.
Old 11-03-21, 03:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

It would be a lot more impactful if they actually introduced the damn models showcasing this new F plan.

What is the point of releasing this info without actually letting us see what it is?!

It is a complete disgrace that the best car in the Lexus lineup- LC500- doesn’t have an Fsport model yet the RX, NX, GX, and LX do have Fsport trim. That is just lunacy for whoever is running this F’in Department/ Marketing exercise.
Old 11-03-21, 03:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It would be a lot more impactful if they actually introduced the damn models showcasing this new F plan.

What is the point of releasing this info without actually letting us see what it is?!

It is a complete disgrace that the best car in the Lexus lineup- LC500- doesn’t have an Fsport model yet the RX, NX, GX, and LX do have Fsport trim. That is just lunacy for whoever is running this F’in Department/ Marketing exercise.
Its because the LC500 already has all the goodies and Toyota literally has nothing better left for it. Its already the best, most aggressive looking car in the lineup so putting a F-sport cosmetic trim wouldn't do it justice. The F-sport badge has no brand equity with enthusiasts anyway...its just makeup. I hope the LC500 never gets the F-sport badge. Just go straight to F.
Old 11-03-21, 03:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its because the LC500 already has all the goodies and Toyota literally has nothing better left for it. Its already the best, most aggressive looking car in the lineup so putting a F-sport cosmetic trim wouldn't do it justice. The F-sport badge has no brand equity with enthusiasts anyway...its just makeup. I hope the LC500 never gets the F-sport badge. Just go straight to F.
I completely disagree.

The brand’s best product and the one that is the most sporty should definitely have the Fsport model to set the standard for the F brand.

How hard is it to release a LC500 Fsport with black chrome trim, unique wheels, sportier suspension, standard Rear wheel steering, and some F interior touches (ie seats, unique colors, F badging)

I have said for years- Lexus is NOT living up to its potential. There are so many ways it can improve without much effort, its just they are asleep at the wheel.
Old 11-03-21, 04:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Cancelling the LCF was a good start
Old 11-03-21, 04:08 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I disagree. The LC500 is a GT car, not particularly sporty at all. Even outside of the engine, there's a lot more that could be done to make it a sharper driving experience.

Heck, for 2021 Lexus redesigned the suspension of the LC and LS to be more floaty-boaty. They see it as Florida retiree car, not an enthusiast F machine.
Old 11-03-21, 04:08 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So will the F cars now have Turbo V6's, there's no information.
Old 11-03-21, 04:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I disagree. The LC500 is a GT car, not particularly sporty at all. Even outside of the engine, there's a lot more that could be done to make it a sharper driving experience.

Heck, for 2021 Lexus redesigned the suspension of the LC and LS to be more floaty-boaty. They see it as Florida retiree car, not an enthusiast F machine.
The F-sport usually gave you a spindle grill and some accents...i'm just saying the LC500 already has those Sport features. You want an sporty LC500, make a full F car...none of the F sport Bull****. I'm disappointed that the F-sport name is so diluted at this point...its on cars that have absolutely no sporty characteristics like the RX and NX and ES. They should have made it more exclusive to actual sporty driving cars but it turned out to just be cosmetic upgrades for most of its existence.
Old 11-03-21, 04:39 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The F-sport usually gave you a spindle grill and some accents...i'm just saying the LC500 already has those Sport features. You want an sporty LC500, make a full F car...none of the F sport Bull****. I'm disappointed that the F-sport name is so diluted at this point...its on cars that have absolutely no sporty characteristics like the RX and NX and ES. They should have made it more exclusive to actual sporty driving cars but it turned out to just be cosmetic upgrades for most of its existence.
The problem with F-Sport is that it has never been consistently applied. On the RX it's just an appearance package while on the GS, it gave actual performance upgrades like adaptive suspension, rear steer, bigger brakes, etc. And the GS was a relatively sporty car even in the base model to begin with.

Either way, I don't think the LC has much time left on the clock for any F upgrade with Toyota killing V8's left and right. Heck, it took them almost 3 years just to release a convertible.
Old 11-03-21, 05:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I think whoring the F-Sport name dilutes things. It's no longer a special option when it can be had in so many different forms. Who knows, we'll see how it plays out.

Quick Reply: Lexus's new F performance structure