Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess in hot water

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21, 06:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Currently Tesla Berlin is being dragged through a mountain of red tape any possible way to delay the opening of the factory is being used.
yup, no surprise. i'm sure there are a lot of people there that don't welcome tesla's arrival.

Change is hard. Also I think a big part of it is they are worried VW will build new factories with non-union workers, basically copy what Tesla is doing. Hard to imagine Diess survives his job much longer.
in germany, non-union plants won't be possible unless they use all freelance labor, so they don't have to worry about that.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Is that really the case? Mercedes and BMW seem pretty open to electrification.
open, or don't have any choice?

The issue isn't the EV's, it's the fact that his statement came across almost as a threat to current employees, which is a big no-no for unions.
yup. Car company employee unions are very powerful in europe. They've thankfully lost most of that power in the u.s. GM and Ford just continue to wait for retired UAW workers to die to relieve them of the absurdly huge ball and chain.

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
This post is a bunch of right-wing tropes strung together into one suicidal pro-corporate propaganda stew.
that's hilarious and we're not here to debate politics. I'll just leave you with these FACTS to chew on though.

Global shares of billion dollar startups by country
Old 11-06-21, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
GM and Ford just continue to wait for retired UAW workers to die to relieve them of the absurdly huge ball and chain.
A cold and uncaring statement. Those workers gave decades of their lives, and, in some cases, suffered repetitive-motion-injuries, to help GM and Ford meet their production needs. To look upon them as a "ball and chain" is outrageous. They worked for, and earned, every penny of their benefits.
Old 11-06-21, 11:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

VW would be so dumb to fire him. But let them. He'd have a job at Tesla the next day as COO and a year later to be CEO. Lol
Old 11-06-21, 11:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A cold and uncaring statement. Those workers gave decades of their lives, and, in some cases, suffered repetitive-motion-injuries, to help GM and Ford meet their production needs. To look upon them as a "ball and chain" is outrageous. They worked for, and earned, every penny of their benefits.
I have to second this. My father lost half his pension when he was forced to retire one year early in the mid 90's by Northrop Aircraft after giving them 17 years of his life to them. Every single penny in his pension was money he put in, minus maybe the 3 percent they matched. People think this is money generously given to employees by their companies, this is money mismanaged by GM taken from the employees paychecks.

I'm just curious why Americans in particular don't think companies should give employees comfortable retirements, the CEO's and executives certainly get them, at the expense of workers. As a Director level working for a medical device start-up I probably shouldn't have this belief, but I guess that means I have some sort of soul

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-06-21 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-06-21, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

I'm just curious why Americans in particular don't think companies should give employees comfortable retirements, the CEO's and executives certainly get them, at the expense of workers. As a Director level working for a medical device start-up I probably shouldn't have this belief, but I guess that means I have some sort of soul
Because the majorly of people don’t have a company pension. Companies don’t care either as the leaders have made it too easily to not offer it. I simply can’t believe that there are people in America who work for employers yet they cannot obtain healthcare coverage. Fascinating to me

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think unions have their place. Just depends on what side you are on. There are some they would like nothing better than to see all jobs offshore to China…sad roght?
Old 11-06-21, 01:06 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Let's nix the pension and union talk at this point.