Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess in hot water

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21, 03:12 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess in hot water

I guess this is why he's been kissing up to Elon?

EXCLUSIVE Volkswagen committee to discuss future of CEO Diess - sources

HAMBURG, Nov 3 (Reuters) - A specially convened Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) committee will discuss the future of CEO Herbert Diess, three people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday, a week after a longstanding conflict with labour representatives flared up again.

The planned meeting of the rarely-summoned mediation committee of VW's supervisory board comes in response to tensions between management and its works council, after sources said Diess told a recent meeting of the board that 30,000 jobs were at risk as part of the group's electric vehicles push. read more

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, could not confirm when the meeting would take place.

"Constructive and confidential discussions are currently being held. Possible results will be communicated in due time," said a source close to the supervisory board.

The mediation committee consists of Hans Dieter Poetsch, supervisory board chairman and CEO of Volkswagen's largest shareholder Porsche SE (PSHG_p.DE); Stephan Weil, state premier of the German state of Lower Saxony, which owns a fifth of the voting rights of Volkswagen; works council leader Daniela Cavallo; and Joerg Hofmann, head of Germany's largest trade union IG Metall.

Spokespeople for Diess, Volkswagen's supervisory board and Porsche SE all declined to comment.

Shares in Volkswagen extended losses and fell as much as 4.7% following the news.

The escalation of the tussle over Diess's future underscores the fragile balance of power at the world's second-largest carmaker, pitting Diess' ambition to make Volkswagen more competitive with Tesla (TSLA.O) against Germany's influential trade unions.

Diess, who took the helm at the carmaker in 2018 as the third CEO since the Dieselgate emissions scandal broke in 2015, has been repeatedly criticised for his demanding management style as he seeks to overhaul the company.

His current contract, extended early during the summer, runs until October 2025.

Diess, 63, has been singling out Tesla's success as a benchmark for Volkswagen, hailing the efficiency and lean management of entrepreneur Elon Musk's company, which has drawn the ire of labour representatives who fear this will lead to major job cuts.

Underscoring his admiration for Musk's achievements, Diess even invited him to address 200 VW executives via a video call during a recent company meeting. read more

When Volkswagen released lower-than-expected third-quarter results last week, Diess said that headcount reduction was needed to make Volkswagen competitive with regard to fast growing EV rivals.
Old 11-04-21, 07:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

My dyslexia made me think this said "Volkswagen CEO Herbert Dies in hot water" lol
Old 11-04-21, 07:43 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
My dyslexia made me think this said "Volkswagen CEO Herbert Dies in hot water" lol
Same lol!
Old 11-04-21, 07:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
Same lol!
lol. I thought I read that too.

Not sure why the thread title is not the same as the link title

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-04-21 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 08:52 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 366 Posts

Wow, things are in flux at VW. Tesla has proven to be quite the disrupter...
Old 11-04-21, 09:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Yeah I was thinking he must of been drunk to end up in vat of boiling water. One of those double take moments
Old 11-04-21, 09:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This is like blaming the person that pulled the fire alarm instead of dealing with the fire.
Old 11-04-21, 10:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is like blaming the person that pulled the fire alarm instead of dealing with the fire.
you're exactly right. If they get rid of diess, the next person will come to the exact same conclusions if they have a brain and are honest.

germany's economy is based on a collusion between government, huge corporations, and unions, in a deadly embrace. they all like it because they believe it brings stability, protection, and clout. Big government HATES small businesses because they're not easily controlled. Last i checked, california alone creates more new businesses than ALL of europe. one of those startups? Tesla!

these innovative startups can rise and disrupt, and the german (and other) 'big govt'/'big corp'/'big union' troikas hate that.

Stay tuned.
Old 11-04-21, 10:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're exactly right. If they get rid of diess, the next person will come to the exact same conclusions if they have a brain and are honest.

germany's economy is based on a collusion between government, huge corporations, and unions, in a deadly embrace. they all like it because they believe it brings stability, protection, and clout. Big government HATES small businesses because they're not easily controlled. Last i checked, california alone creates more new businesses than ALL of europe. one of those startups? Tesla!

these innovative startups can rise and disrupt, and the german (and other) 'big govt'/'big corp'/'big union' troikas hate that.

Stay tuned.
That would be a damn shame...I think VW is way ahead in the EV game vs. the other OEMs. I think the ID4 is a great product and the direction that VW is headed is the right one. Diess seems like a visionary CEO. What is wrong with that board...
Old 11-04-21, 10:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Stay tuned.
Currently Tesla Berlin is being dragged through a mountain of red tape any possible way to delay the opening of the factory is being used.
Originally Posted by EZZ
That would be a damn shame...I think VW is way ahead in the EV game vs. the other OEMs. I think the ID4 is a great product and the direction that VW is headed is the right one. Diess seems like a visionary CEO. What is wrong with that board...
Change is hard. Also I think a big part of it is they are worried VW will build new factories with non-union workers, basically copy what Tesla is doing. Hard to imagine Diess survives his job much longer.
Old 11-04-21, 11:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

No surprise at all given the German business culture. Change is not met with open embrace particular if it involves headcount fluctuations.
Old 11-04-21, 03:24 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Stay tuned.
This post is a bunch of right-wing tropes strung together into one suicidal pro-corporate propaganda stew.

What's NOT "deadly" about the American system of unrestrained vulture capitalism with no safeguards for workers? Do you really believe the average American is faring better than the average German worker? If you think that question is irrelevant to judging the two countries' economic models, it's fair to ask: Who does "the economy" exist for if not for the citizens? And speaking of "deadly," in case you didn't notice, American role model Tesla with its triumphant Full Self-Crashing technology isn't exactly pristine clean on that score, either.

Also, which is it? Is Tesla is the role model of a startup? Or is California the role model for a job incubator? Because the head of Tesla is now squawking that he can't abide by the laws of California. So choose one idol to hold up as superior to VW and Germany, because apparently you can't like 'em both.

Old 11-04-21, 03:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
This post is a bunch of right-wing tropes strung together into one suicidal pro-corporate propaganda stew.

What's NOT "deadly" about the American system of unrestrained vulture capitalism with no safeguards for workers? Do you really believe the average American is faring better than the average German worker? If you think that question is irrelevant to judging the two countries' economic models, it's fair to ask: Who does "the economy" exist for if not for the citizens? And speaking of "deadly," in case you didn't notice, American role model Tesla with its triumphant Full Self-Crashing technology isn't exactly pristine clean on that score, either.

Also, which is it? Is Tesla is the role model of a startup? Or is California the role model for a job incubator? Because the head of Tesla is now squawking that he can't abide by the laws of California. So choose one idol to hold up as superior to VW and Germany, because apparently you can't like 'em both.
LOL I hear you brother, let's just keep the politics out of this. Trust me, you'll be happier in the end. We'll all be!
Old 11-04-21, 03:38 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
No surprise at all given the German business culture. Change is not met with open embrace particular if it involves headcount fluctuations.
Is that really the case? Mercedes and BMW seem pretty open to electrification.

I think this story is being mischaracterized as "VW wants to fire Diess because he's pro-EV and they aren't" when that isn't the case, it's because he made a public announcement that "30,000 people would lose their jobs if we don't hurry up with electrification." The issue isn't the EV's, it's the fact that his statement came across almost as a threat to current employees, which is a big no-no for unions.

Basically, if he hadn't run his mouth he wouldn't be under scrutiny. With or without Diess, VW will still go all-out on EV's.
Old 11-04-21, 04:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

and i wasnt even aware i had it

Quick Reply: Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess in hot water