Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Electric GV70 to be built in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21, 06:18 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Genesis Electric GV70 to be built in the U.S.

All for those sweet government subsidies....

Hyundai to manufacture the GV70 EV in the USA

After the Hyundai Motor Group announced in May it would produce electric cars in the USA from 2022, there are now more details: The first electric model the group will produce in Alabama will be the Genesis GV70 EV from early 2022. Meanwhile, Hyundai has released a teaser image of its concept ‘Seven’.

First to the US. Korean media report the electric Genesis GV70 as Hyundai Group’s debut model in the US, citing information provided by the manufacturer at a meeting with union representatives. Other electric models such as the Hyundai Ioniq 5, the Hyundai Kona Electric and the Genesis GV60 are to follow successively. South Korean media also report that the GV70 EV will kick off as a mid-size SUV, as its internal combustion counterpart launched in the US in June is showing strong sales figures.

Basically, the climbing sales figures of its internal combustion models in the US and the resulting increased visibility and awareness are said to have encouraged the Hyundai Group to make the move to local electric car production. The premium brand Genesis alone has been represented in the USA since this year with the GV80 as a sedan and SUV and the aforementioned GV70. Now, with an eye on the large e-car market that the US represents, the electrification of the model range is to be tackled.

Against this background, the Hyundai Motor Group had already announced in the spring that it intended to produce electric cars locally for the group’s brands from next year. This was part of a total investment of 7.4 billion US dollars (about 6.1 billion euros) by 2025 in the group’s business in the United States, it said. It was already clear at the time that the E-models would be manufactured at Hyundai’s Montgomery plant in the US state of Alabama.

The South Korean company now confirmed this once again. Hyundai currently builds the Elantra, Sonata, Tucson and Santa Fe models – sedans and SUVs – at the Montgomery plant. All four models are part of Hyundai’s core product range in the USA. The four model series will apparently continue to be built unchanged for the time being, as Hyundai wants to invest in an “expansion of the production areas for electric vehicles” – however, the Koreans continue to give no details on the exact area and planned capacity of the expansion building.

According to the media reports, the background to the move is also the policy of the new US administration under Joe Biden. Hyundai Motor intends to react to the US government’s policy in advance, writes Business Korea, referring to US President Joe Biden’s draft plan to increase the share of electric cars in new vehicle sales to 50 per cent by 2030.

In the short term, therefore, sales of the battery-electric series are to be pushed, while in the medium term Hyundai will continue to focus on hydrogen. Together with the US government and partners, an American hydrogen ecosystem is to be established, from which passenger cars such as the Nexo, but especially FCEV trucks, can benefit. For commercial vehicles, Hyundai has previously signed an agreement with the US company Cummins to accelerate the deployment of fuel cell electric systems in the US market. Hyundai also plans to invest an undisclosed portion of the $7.4 billion in urban air mobility and robotics.

Meanwhile, Hyundai has released a first official teaser of the battery-electric concept car Seven, which will be presented at AutoMobility LA on 17 November – apparently a preview of the Hyundai Ioniq 7. A statement from the South Koreans says that the study gives a preview “of the first SUV model of the (…) Hyundai Ioniq sub-brand”.
This also implicitly confirms two things:
1. Electric GV70 will be sold in the U.S.
2. Future Genesis vehicles may be built in the U.S. rather than being exclusive to South Korea

Last edited by Motorola; 11-04-21 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-04-21, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

That 7 concept teaser...

Old 11-18-21, 07:41 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

It's out. I like the look over the normal GV70, especially now that all fake ventwork is basically gone. The back is so much cleaner.

Range is ~250 miles on the Korean cycle which will closely mirror EPA, and also matches the GV60. 0-60 in 5.1 seconds normally and 4.5 seconds in boost mode.

2022 Genesis Electrified GV70 Has 482 HP And 800-Volt Charging Technology

Old 11-18-21, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, that shows you how much those people at dealerships know (or don't know). I did a full-review on a gas-powered GV70 last week, at a BIG Hyundai/Genesis dealership (one of their largest and most modern on the U.S. East Coast)...and the reps didn't even know an electric version was coming.

On another note, I like that matching white/beige steering wheel with the light-colored interior. Most vehicles today have a standard black steering-wheel that they use with all of the interiors, no matter which color.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-21 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-18-21, 07:52 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that shows you how much those people at dealerships know (or don't know). I did a full-review on a gas-powered GV70 last week, at a BIG Hyundai/Genesis dealership (one of their largest and most modern on the U.S. East Coast)...and the reps didn't even know an electric version was coming.
Considering it just made its public debut today I doubt they were even allowed to talk about it.
Old 11-18-21, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Considering it just made its public debut today I doubt they were even allowed to talk about it.

Fair point.....but personally, I don't see what difference a couple of days would make.

Well, Bitkahuna, I remember you making a reference a few weeks ago (or maybe a couple of months?) that your next vehicle would likely be an BEV. After your G90 and Santa Fe (both in the Hyundai/Genesis family) there may (?) be something worth looking at....the electric GV70. Dealerships and automakers usually like repeat customers.

I was impressed with the gas-powered GV70....and, for those with access to rechargers, a BEV version might be even better (less maintenance)........although the large battery-pack would add weight, the electric motor itself would be lighter than a gas engine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-21 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-24-21, 03:24 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. I wonder how much will it be? Probably more expensive than the GV60, so maybe a little bit more than the GV70 3.5T?

I would take this over the Model Y as a DD if the price is right.
Old 06-05-22, 12:12 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that the Genesis GV70 is stunning!! The interior looks amazing as well!! Unfortunately, the range is disappointing due to the fact that they are only offering this vehicle with AWD and using a 77.4 kwh battery. They should have used a 100 kwh battery instead. I look forward to the upcoming Genesis GV80 electrified reveal as well as the GV90 reveal. The Hyundai/Kia/Genesis Group will definitely be the leaders in the EV industry over the next 5-10 years.
Old 06-05-22, 12:20 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vinster29
I think that the Genesis GV70 is stunning!! The interior looks amazing as well!! Unfortunately, the range is disappointing due to the fact that they are only offering this vehicle with AWD and using a 77.4 kwh battery. They should have used a 100 kwh battery instead. I look forward to the upcoming Genesis GV80 electrified reveal as well as the GV90 reveal. The Hyundai/Kia/Genesis Group will definitely be the leaders in the EV industry over the next 5-10 years.
What's rather bizarre is that the Korean equivalent of the EPA gave a longer range for the GV70 EV than the GV60, using the exact same motors and battery, despite the GV60 sitting on a ground-up EV platform. I'm curious to see how it'll be measured by the EPA.
Old 06-05-22, 12:07 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Very good design
Old 02-17-23, 10:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow. $20,000K premium over the gas.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/02/17/...v70-suv-price/
Old 02-18-23, 04:21 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/02/17/...v70-suv-price/
That's compared to the 4-cylinder base model. The EV price starts where the 3.5T Prestige stops at $65K but can go up to $73K. That's about $4K more than a loaded GV60 with the same motors and battery.

This will be way more popular than the GV60 in the U.S., because it'll actually qualify for the tax credit since it's built in the U.S. making it cheaper than the GV60, and will likely be made at a higher volume than the GV60 since it's locally built. Not that that's saying much when Genesis can barely build any GV60's.
Old 02-18-23, 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think that's $20,000 or $20K.

Originally Posted by Motorola
This will be way more popular than the GV60 in the U.S., because it'll actually qualify for the tax credit since it's built in the U.S. making it cheaper than the GV60, and will likely be made at a higher volume than the GV60 since it's locally built. Not that that's saying much when Genesis can barely build any GV60's.
yeah I don't see genesis making much of any dent in the ev business since they actually have so few to sell. maybe in a year or two they'll have better supplies/capacity.

about the gv70 itself, since this will be another ice car turned into an ev though, I don't expect it to be that comfortable whereas the gv60 was built only as an ev.
Old 02-18-23, 06:53 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about the gv70 itself, since this will be another ice car turned into an ev though, I don't expect it to be that comfortable whereas the gv60 was built only as an ev.
European reviewers seem to prefer the EV GV70 over the GV60. It's just a bigger, more substantial vehicle.

And with how well Genesis engineered their ICE converted platform for the GV70 and G80, the range is more or less the same as the GV60 and it also has an 800V charging architecture. The only reason I think anyone would want a GV60 over a 70 EV is if they want to save $4K or get a vehicle that screams more that it's an EV on the outside.

What's also strange is that the GV70 EV gets a pano roof and heated rear seats which the more expensive G80 EV doesn't get in the U.S.
Old 02-18-23, 07:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think that's $20,000 or $20K.
‘It really isn’t worth it. The price premium is way too high over the gas versions.