Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW removes touchscreen from a bunch of models due to chip shortage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-21, 07:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is cool that people here don't want touchscreens, but general population does and this is pretty bad for them.

These cars might be worth less in the future too.
Why would touchscreens de-value the car in the future? I would think having a touchscreen enables the manufacturer to update the UI and features to keep the car more modern.
Old 11-11-21, 07:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Why would touchscreens de-value the car in the future? I would think having a touchscreen enables the manufacturer to update the UI and features to keep the car more modern.
I think the point was that since the touchscreen is being removed from several BMW models due to lack of chips to drive that functionality, long term that would hurt the resale value of impacted cars.
Old 11-11-21, 07:09 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I think the point was that since the touchscreen is being removed from several BMW models due to lack of chips to drive that functionality, long term that would hurt the resale value of impacted cars.
Yes, that makes much more sense. Thanks for the clarification. I guess its a good solution for those that dislike touchscreens A lot of people here seem to dislike them which is fine. I personally prefer touchscreens now as getting familiar with the button layout takes a small amount of time but once you get used to it, its not much harder or any more distracting than a cluttered button layout. Somethings should have physical controls such as turn signals and wiper access but that's all stuff on the steering column. Even volume and radio switch access is on the steering wheel so going mostly touchscreen is fine by me. I drive my Minivan all the time with a gazillion buttons and its just as distracting as having a touchscreen...I have to look at where I press on both cars. Don't really see the big deal.

Last edited by EZZ; 11-11-21 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-11-21, 07:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is cool that people here don't want touchscreens, but general population does and this is pretty bad for them.

These cars might be worth less in the future too.
Nav systems with touch screens started to become widely available more than 20 years ago - it was the only option on my 2000 Acura TL. No car has been devalued because it has a touch screen.
Old 11-11-21, 07:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I hope this whole crisis will learn us to be less extreme with the amount of electronic and connection we put in everything.
For the moment, I doubt the lesson is learned. We will probably need a whole structural crash and 30% of the builders completing their trip to Valhalla, before something changes.
But I'm confident that we are on the right path to that.
Not a chance
Old 11-15-21, 10:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Saw an article this morning on C&D about what features by various automakers are currently unavailable. As one would expect, this goes well beyond BMW. Some of these missing features would stop me from purchasing right now. The article is a bit long, so I'll link it at the bottom and provide my own summary.
  • BMW - Touchscreens (and more).
In late October, BMW announced that it wouldremove touchscreen functionality from the Central Information Display in several models: the 3-series, 4-series coupe and convertible, 4-series Gran Coupe (excluding i4), Z4, and all variants of the X5, X6, and X7 (pictured). There's more bad news, in that any model that loses its touchscreen and was also ordered with the Parking Assistant package will now lose BMW's Backup Assistant technology.
Those who don't get their touchscreen will get a $500 credit to spend on other options.
  • Cadillac: Super Cruise (Now Resumed)
Cadillac announced back in September that Escalades would be built without Super Cruise. The article doesn't mention exactly when, but confirms that Escalades being built now do once again include Super Cruise. No mention of discounts or customer compensation.
  • Chevrolet/GMC: HD Radio
GM stated it has eliminated the HD radio option from its audio systems because of the chip shortage. Affects multiple trims of the 2021 Silverado 1500s and Sierra 1500s, as well as 2022 model year 2500 and 3500 heavy duty trucks. GM will offer buyers of the affected trucks a $50 credit.
  • Chevrolet/GMC: Heated Seats and Steering Wheels
Starting the week of November 15, most GM SUVs and pickups will lose their heated and ventilated seats. This includes the Silverado, Traverse (except High Country trim), Blazer, Equinox, Sierra, Acadia (except Denali), Canyon, and Terrain. This will last through the 2022 model year. Starting in late November, heated steering wheels will be gone as well. Customers will get a credit of $150-500.
  • Ford: Satellite Navigation
From the article, I believe this only impacts Fords that are built in Turkey. They expect this issue to last into Q1 production, but note that the missing navigation can be added back in at a later date.
  • GM: Wireless Charging
Wireless charging has been (since summer) deleted from some GM models, including the 2021 Tahoe, Suburban, and GMC Yukons, plus the 2022 Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, and Cadillac XT5 and XT6. Customers will get a $75 credit.
  • Mercedes Benz: Premium Audio, LED Lights, and more.
The list of deleted items at MB includes wireless charging pads, hands-free rear access systems, some LED headlights, and some audio systems. Reportedly, AMG models were hit the hardest.
  • Nissan: Navigation Systems.
Nissan will not install navigation systems in thousands of vehicles - around a third of which would otherwise have them. They are doing this to save chips for their two bestselling vehicles in each market. Supply related, though not chip related, is the fact that Nissan had to stop applying the spray in bedliner on the 2022 Frontier and Titan. Customers will get a $400 credit for the missing bedliner. Supply shortages will also result in the deletion of the tow package from certain Pathfinders, resulting in a $270 credit to consumers.
  • Porsche: 18-Way Adjustable Seat, Electric Steering Column Adjustment.
The Macan will lose it's adjustable seat upgrade option for several months. Also temporarily missing will be the electric steering column adjustment. Cars will be delivered with a manual adjusting column for the time being, and the electric version will be retrofitted later, as parts become available again.
  • Tesla: USB Ports, Passenger-Seat Lumbar
This one doesn't appear to be chip related. As discussed previously, the passenger seat lumbar adjustment was removed from the Model 3 and Model Y. Musk stated that it was not frequently used and was a result of the cost of raw materials and supply chain pressure. More recently deleted were the USB-C ports in the rear of the center console on the 3 and Y. There was not an explanation given in the article so I really am not sure that this one belongs here, but it is what it is.
  • GM: V-8 Cylinder Deactivation
Some 2021 Silverados and Sierras with the Active Fuel Management or Dynamic Fuel Management system will not get their cylinder deactivation, resulting in additional fuel consumption of 1 mpg. This will affect all remaining 2021 production of these vehicles.
  • GM: Auto Stop-Start
2021 Silverados and Sierras with the 10-speed automatic and either the 5.3 liter or 6.2 liter V-8 engines will not come with stop-start technology. Customers will receive a $50 credit.
Full article can be found here.
Old 11-15-21, 10:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^ Nice to see Toyota/Lexus keeping all of their features
Old 11-15-21, 11:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Saw an article this morning on C&D about what features by various automakers are currently unavailable. As one would expect, this goes well beyond BMW. Some of these missing features would stop me from purchasing right now. The article is a bit long, so I'll link it at the bottom and provide my own summary.
  • BMW - Touchscreens (and more).
In late October, BMW announced that it wouldremove touchscreen functionality from the Central Information Display in several models: the 3-series, 4-series coupe and convertible, 4-series Gran Coupe (excluding i4), Z4, and all variants of the X5, X6, and X7 (pictured). There's more bad news, in that any model that loses its touchscreen and was also ordered with the Parking Assistant package will now lose BMW's Backup Assistant technology.
Those who don't get their touchscreen will get a $500 credit to spend on other options.
  • Cadillac: Super Cruise (Now Resumed)
Cadillac announced back in September that Escalades would be built without Super Cruise. The article doesn't mention exactly when, but confirms that Escalades being built now do once again include Super Cruise. No mention of discounts or customer compensation.
  • Chevrolet/GMC: HD Radio
GM stated it has eliminated the HD radio option from its audio systems because of the chip shortage. Affects multiple trims of the 2021 Silverado 1500s and Sierra 1500s, as well as 2022 model year 2500 and 3500 heavy duty trucks. GM will offer buyers of the affected trucks a $50 credit.
  • Chevrolet/GMC: Heated Seats and Steering Wheels
Starting the week of November 15, most GM SUVs and pickups will lose their heated and ventilated seats. This includes the Silverado, Traverse (except High Country trim), Blazer, Equinox, Sierra, Acadia (except Denali), Canyon, and Terrain. This will last through the 2022 model year. Starting in late November, heated steering wheels will be gone as well. Customers will get a credit of $150-500.
  • Ford: Satellite Navigation
From the article, I believe this only impacts Fords that are built in Turkey. They expect this issue to last into Q1 production, but note that the missing navigation can be added back in at a later date.
  • GM: Wireless Charging
Wireless charging has been (since summer) deleted from some GM models, including the 2021 Tahoe, Suburban, and GMC Yukons, plus the 2022 Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, and Cadillac XT5 and XT6. Customers will get a $75 credit.
  • Mercedes Benz: Premium Audio, LED Lights, and more.
The list of deleted items at MB includes wireless charging pads, hands-free rear access systems, some LED headlights, and some audio systems. Reportedly, AMG models were hit the hardest.
  • Nissan: Navigation Systems.
Nissan will not install navigation systems in thousands of vehicles - around a third of which would otherwise have them. They are doing this to save chips for their two bestselling vehicles in each market. Supply related, though not chip related, is the fact that Nissan had to stop applying the spray in bedliner on the 2022 Frontier and Titan. Customers will get a $400 credit for the missing bedliner. Supply shortages will also result in the deletion of the tow package from certain Pathfinders, resulting in a $270 credit to consumers.
  • Porsche: 18-Way Adjustable Seat, Electric Steering Column Adjustment.
The Macan will lose it's adjustable seat upgrade option for several months. Also temporarily missing will be the electric steering column adjustment. Cars will be delivered with a manual adjusting column for the time being, and the electric version will be retrofitted later, as parts become available again.
  • Tesla: USB Ports, Passenger-Seat Lumbar
This one doesn't appear to be chip related. As discussed previously, the passenger seat lumbar adjustment was removed from the Model 3 and Model Y. Musk stated that it was not frequently used and was a result of the cost of raw materials and supply chain pressure. More recently deleted were the USB-C ports in the rear of the center console on the 3 and Y. There was not an explanation given in the article so I really am not sure that this one belongs here, but it is what it is.
  • GM: V-8 Cylinder Deactivation
Some 2021 Silverados and Sierras with the Active Fuel Management or Dynamic Fuel Management system will not get their cylinder deactivation, resulting in additional fuel consumption of 1 mpg. This will affect all remaining 2021 production of these vehicles.
  • GM: Auto Stop-Start
2021 Silverados and Sierras with the 10-speed automatic and either the 5.3 liter or 6.2 liter V-8 engines will not come with stop-start technology. Customers will receive a $50 credit.
Full article can be found here.
Maybe this will finally cause the death of in-car nav systems, which have become somewhat irrelevant with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Then consumers won't need to pay for an inferior nav system forced upon them as part of some "package".