Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exactly how are Kia and Hyundai related / organized?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 02:58 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, there has never been a point where Hyundai aggregated financial results with Kia. Since they disclose financials separately and are listed as separate companies as separate public companies, Kia and Hyundai should never be aggregated together for anything. Corporate structure isn't the same as ownership structure and financial disclosure. Its really not much different than Toyota and Subaru's relationship as Toyota owns 20% and discloses separate financials.
Just because Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia report results independently doesn't mean Hyundai Motor Group doesn't have the ability to report them both (and Genesis) under one report. Their reason for not making any reports is merely voluntary- perhaps because they consider themselves a "mobility company" rather than a mere commercial auto manufacturer.
Old 11-09-21, 03:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Just because Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia report results independently doesn't mean Hyundai Motor Group doesn't have the ability to report them both (and Genesis) under one report. Their reason for not making any reports is merely voluntary- perhaps because they consider themselves a "mobility company" rather than a mere commercial auto manufacturer.
I don't understand what you are trying to imply. Hyundai Motor Group doesn't disclose financials and never has. Its a corporate governance structure and has nothing to do with reporting. They cannot report them under one structure unless they actively own ~50% of both Kia and Hyundai which involves quite a bit of money and reports them under one legal entity. The can't do what you are implying unless they actively buy shares.
Old 11-09-21, 03:43 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't understand what you are trying to imply. Hyundai Motor Group doesn't disclose financials and never has. Its a corporate governance structure and has nothing to do with reporting. They cannot report them under one structure unless they actively own ~50% of both Kia and Hyundai which involves quite a bit of money and reports them under one legal entity. The can't do what you are implying unless they actively buy shares.
lol

https://www.hyundaimotorgroup.com/Ab...nformation.hub

Just because they don't release specific reports on specific brands and models doesn't mean they can't report their collective financials.

EDIT: I was wrong, they DO report Hyundai and Kia together too. Guess that settles the original question lol

https://www.hyundaimotorgroup.com/Ab...erformance.hub

Last edited by Motorola; 11-09-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 04:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

lol

https://www.hyundaimotorgroup.com/Ab...nformation.hub

Just because they don't release specific reports on specific brands and models doesn't mean they can't report their collective financials.

EDIT: I was wrong, they DO report Hyundai and Kia together too. Guess that settles the original question lol

https://www.hyundaimotorgroup.com/Ab...erformance.hub
Thats not at the level of an audited financial statement. Hyundai and Kia both operate and disclose financial information at a much more granular level. If Hyundai group wants to disclose at that level, it would be a much more difficult exercise as ownership isn't whole and they don't have the rights simply because they don't own majority stake in some of those companies. Hyundai group cannot at this time release financial statements combining the two auto companies. What you are showing is a high level sales and net profit figure thats not audited because it has no investors in that entity (nor is it up to the same standards of a public company). Every sales figure that Hyundai and Kia put up is backed up through control processes and audits. Very big difference in disclosure requirements.
Old 11-09-21, 04:07 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats not at the level of an audited financial statement. Hyundai and Kia both operate and disclose financial information at a much more granular level. If Hyundai group wants to disclose at that level, it would be a much more difficult exercise as ownership isn't whole and they don't have the rights simply because they don't own majority stake in some of those companies. Hyundai group cannot at this time release financial statements combining the two auto companies. What you are showing is a high level sales and net profit figure thats not audited because it has no investors in that entity (nor is it up to the same standards of a public company). Every sales figure that Hyundai and Kia put up is backed up through control processes and audits. Very big difference in disclosure requirements.
Sure, keep moving those goalposts. And who said they don't have audited financial statements available? Why don't you become an investor and ask for them lol

Old 11-09-21, 04:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Sure, keep moving those goalposts. And who said they don't have audited financial statements available? Why don't you become an investor and ask for them lol

Its not a public company...why would they have financial statements available? I've looked in the financial databases and there is nothing available for the motor group. If they were available, it would be readily available in the tools I have. They disclose at this level because it doesn't have to have the rigors that Hyundai and Kia have to go through. Again, sales figures are released to evaluate the auto company financial success so that investors can invest appropriately. I trust Hyundai and Kia numbers because its part of the rigorous process involving audited financial statements that are publicly disclosed. I have no clue whether the Hyundai Group recognizes 100% of the companies in their corporate governance or the actual equity stake that they actually own...GAAP says they should only recognize about 33% of Kia's financials. Again, they don't own all of Kia so why should they be allowed to recognize all of Kia's sales? Makes no sense.
Old 11-09-21, 04:38 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its not a public company...why would they have financial statements available?
Because they literally say so on their site.

I've looked in the financial databases and there is nothing available for the motor group. If they were available, it would be readily available in the tools I have.
Great, are you an investor of HMG? If not your tools are useless.

I trust Hyundai and Kia numbers because its part of the rigorous process involving audited financial statements that are publicly disclosed.
Oh yeah, Hyundai Motor Group are a bunch of liars sure sure....

Again, they don't own all of Kia so why should they be allowed to recognize all of Kia's sales? Makes no sense.
It makes no sense to you because your understanding of how Hyundai and Kia are operated under HMG is incorrect.

I've done enough explaining on my part, and HMG themselves can answer any questions you have about the veracity of their information. But to claim that HMG doesn't report their collective financials is a flat-out lie.
Old 11-09-21, 04:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Because they literally say so on their site.

Great, are you an investor of HMG? If not your tools are useless.

Oh yeah, Hyundai Motor Group are a bunch of liars sure sure....

It makes no sense to you because your understanding of how Hyundai and Kia are operated under HMG is incorrect.

I've done enough explaining on my part, and HMG themselves can answer any questions you have about the veracity of their information. But to claim that HMG doesn't report their collective financials is a flat-out lie.
They report high level sales and high level profit but nothing useful for the investing community is my point. They can't at this moment provide the level of disclosure that Hyundai and Kia have as public companies. They can't suddenly just combine the two companies and provide the same level of information because they don't own all of Kia and they don't publicly have audited financial statements. Its naïve to think that a holding entity can suddenly become a public entity and provide the same information. The information that HMG provides isn't very useful to make any investment decisions similar to what you see Hyundai and Kia provide. Since this is the case, Hyundai and Kia should report separately as they are operated independently with differently ownership structures.
Old 11-09-21, 05:07 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

They report high level sales and high level profit but nothing useful for the investing community is my point.
Just because you don't have access to their financial reports like HMG investors doesn't make them not exist.

Originally Posted by EZZ
They can't at this moment provide the level of disclosure that Hyundai and Kia have as public companies.
Goodness gracious, go ask them about their financial reports rather than posting baseless speculation that goes against what their own website claims.

Since this is the case, Hyundai and Kia should report separately as they are operated independently with differently ownership structures.
Repeating the same disproven information numerous times doesn't make it suddenly come true.
Old 11-09-21, 05:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Just because you don't have access to their financial reports like HMG investors doesn't make them not exist.

Goodness gracious, go ask them about their financial reports rather than posting baseless speculation that goes against what their own website claims.

Repeating the same disproven information numerous times doesn't make it suddenly come true.
I don't have HMG financials because they aren't a public company. I have no way of knowing whether they are audited or whether they are using GAAP or IFRS or something completely made up. Thats why public companies have strict disclosure requirements which HMG isn't subject to. Nothing I have said is disproven. I stated that HMG doesn't own 100% of Kia so they can't fully recognize Kia's financials or sales if they were subject to the same standards as a public company. What they do on their website doesn't matter...its not not investment level information.
Old 11-09-21, 05:54 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't have HMG financials because they aren't a public company.
You don't have the financial reports because you aren't an HMG investor. You not having them doesn't mean they don't exist unless you want to continue insinuating that HMG's website is lying. I'm pretty sure I would take their word over yours.

I stated that HMG doesn't own 100% of Kia so they can't fully recognize Kia's financials or sales if they were subject to the same standards as a public company. What they do on their website doesn't matter...its not not investment level information.
You continue to conflate Hyundai Motor Co. with Hyundai Motor Group despite the many many many posts that have demonstrated otherwise that would clearly be a waste of time for me to repeat. At this point, your assumptions are based entirely on your own misunderstanding of the corporate structure, and nothing anyone says will change your mind.
Old 11-09-21, 06:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

You don't have the financial reports because you aren't an HMG investor. You not having them doesn't mean they don't exist unless you want to continue insinuating that HMG's website is lying. I'm pretty sure I would take their word over yours.You continue to conflate Hyundai Motor Co. with Hyundai Motor Group despite the many many many posts that have demonstrated otherwise that would clearly be a waste of time for me to repeat. At this point, your assumptions are based entirely on your own misunderstanding of the corporate structure, and nothing anyone says will change your mind.
I understand perfectly. HMG is the parent of Hyundai motors who own 33% of Kia. HMG has no direct ownership to Kia..it's through Hyundai motors. HMG therefor owns 33% through Hyundai motors. The rest of Kia's ownership has nothing to do with Hyundai. Why is this so hard for you?
Old 11-09-21, 06:20 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
]HMG is the parent of Hyundai motors who own 33% of Kia.

Hyundai Motor Co. owns 33% of Kia. Hyundai Motor Group consists of subdivisions Hyundai, Kia, Genesis and all other subdivisions crucial to their operations like Hyundai Mobis, Hyundai Steel etc. and is the umbrella corporation. Hyundai and Kia alone as companies can't do anything on their own. Hyundai Motor Co's 33% stake in Kia has nothing to do with them both being under the same umbrella company.

This is the last time I explain this, and if you can't wrap your head around this fact, then there's nothing left for me to say.

Last edited by Motorola; 11-09-21 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 06:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai Motor Co. owns 33% of Kia. Hyundai Motor Group consists of subsidiaries Hyundai, Kia, Genesis and all other subsidiaries crucial to their operations like Hyundai Globis, Hyundai Steel etc. and is the umbrella corporation. Hyundai and Kia alone as companies can't do anything. Hyundai Motor Co's 33% stake in Kia has nothing to do with them both being under the same umbrella company.

This is the last time I explain this, and if you can't understand this fact, then there's nothing left for me to say.
The 66% is owned by some other than Hyunda. That is my point. 27% of it is institutional shareholders and the remaining is owned by Kia. Hyundai HMG only has 33% control through Hyundai motors. If you can't understand this, it's on you.
Old 11-09-21, 06:36 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 66% is owned by some other than Hyunda. That is my point. 27% of it is institutional shareholders and the remaining is owned by Kia. Hyundai HMG only has 33% control through Hyundai motors. If you can't understand this, it's on you.
According to that logic, guess that means Hyundai Motor Co. isn't owned by HMG (which you claim owns stakes in its subdivisions for some reason lol) because the controlling stakeholder of HMCo. at 21% is Hyundai Mobis, of which Kia is the controlling stakeholder at 17%.

This is just getting silly.

Last edited by Motorola; 11-09-21 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Exactly how are Kia and Hyundai related / organized?