Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM-Review: 2022 Genesis GV70

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Filling up with premium sucks.
Yeah, I once had a 1Gen IS300, with the 3.0L straight-six, that required premium...and, on top of that, it guzzled that premium like the larger 4.0L V8 of the period. Filling it up did s**k. I spent a fair amount of money keeping that tank full, even though I'm not a hard driver. Fortunately, I don't drive a huge number of miles either.
Old 11-12-21, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Great writeup Mike! I think this vehicle is really appealing and would be my choice in that segment. Much better looking than the GV80 IMHO
Thanks. Nice vehicle inside and out, but it would probably be too small for your family, unless the kids can ride together in harmony in the rear seat. And, because of the rear roofline, not much cargo room in the back, either, for the trips you take to Beckley.

As I understand it, the larger GV80 does have a three-row-option, but only in the very pricey top-line versions.
Old 11-12-21, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. Nice vehicle inside and out, but it would probably be too small for your family, unless the kids can ride together in harmony in the rear seat. And, because of the rear roofline, not much cargo room in the back, either, for the trips you take to Beckley.

As I understand it, the larger GV80 does have a three-row-option, but only in the very pricey top-line versions.
Yeah wouldn't be an option for me, the whole segment wouldnt be.
Old 11-12-21, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
these 2 vehicles are not very comparable. rx is bigger, fwd, and very old with updates. it's still a FINE vehicle though... smooth, comfortable, quiet, very roomy back seat, etc.
gv70 is more modern, more nx sized, more powerful, more luxurious.
So...an earlier member asked if the GV70 is a good replacement for the RX....

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, I once had a 1Gen IS300, with the 3.0L straight-six, that required premium...and, on top of that, it guzzled that premium like the larger 4.0L V8 of the period. Filling it up did s**k. I spent a fair amount of money keeping that tank full, even though I'm not a hard driver. Fortunately, I don't drive a huge number of miles either.
So John Davis has always claimed that luxury car makers make the "required" statement so that luxury car buyers could feel good about themselves when they are at the gas pump. It was something they just did starting out in the 1980s....

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-12-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-12-21, 11:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So John Davis has always claimed that luxury car makers make the "required" statement so that luxury car buyers could feel good about themselves when they are at the gas pump. It was something they just did starting out in the 1980s....
How does buying more expensive gas make them feel good about themselves? I don't understand Davis' logic.
Old 11-12-21, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
How does buying more expensive gas make them feel good about themselves? I don't understand Davis' logic.
Oh it does lol. Makes them feel like they have a special car that has special needs, etc. Thats why for so many years the ES required premium when all the Toyota vehicles with the same engine were fine with regular, and then they reduced the requirement to 87 when gas prices rose and that started to change.

I don't "feel special" when I use premium, but I am happy to use premium for a quality machine that requires it.

As for cost, right now premium is about $.80 more than regular. I fill up once a week, and I probably pump 16 or 17 gallons. So, it costs me $13.60 a week more to use premium fuel. No big deal when I'm already paying a huge premium for a luxury car anyways.
Old 11-12-21, 11:23 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 933 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
CR as usual, focusing on an infotainment system they spent 5 minutes with and it isn't as simple as their jitterbug phone. plus there's voice commands for those lacking dexterity.
AND a touchscreen. There are things CR does well, but it sounds like they really screwed the pooch on this one.
Old 11-12-21, 11:25 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh it does lol. Makes them feel like they have a special car that has special needs, etc. Thats why for so many years the ES required premium when all the Toyota vehicles with the same engine were fine with regular, and then they reduced the requirement to 87 when gas prices rose and that started to change.

I don't "feel special" when I use premium, but I am happy to use premium for a quality machine that requires it.

As for cost, right now premium is about $.80 more than regular. I fill up once a week, and I probably pump 16 or 17 gallons. So, it costs me $13.60 a week more to use premium fuel. No big deal when I'm already paying a huge premium for a luxury car anyways.
I drive an Acura that demands premium. It's a great car, but I'm sick of paying the premium tax. One of the appeals of the ES 350 for me is the chance to stop that. Just one driver's opinion, of course; YMMV.
Old 11-12-21, 11:26 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Hey MM. wow … a review from you. Haven’t seen a review in ages Well done 👍
Agree 100%. Thanks, MM. Good to see you back in the review business. And, informatively written as usual.
Old 11-12-21, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
because they can afford it and the 'proles' can't.
Old 11-12-21, 11:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I drive an Acura that demands premium. It's a great car, but I'm sick of paying the premium tax. One of the appeals of the ES 350 for me is the chance to stop that. Just one driver's opinion, of course; YMMV.
The Acura is no more sophisticated a vehicle than the ES though, so I can understand the frustration with being made to use premium. These Genesis vehicles are on another level.
Old 11-12-21, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Agree 100%. Thanks, MM. Good to see you back in the review business. And, informatively written as usual.
Thanks. The pandemic, chip-shortage, supply-problems, some weak back/leg problems for me, and other factors made it difficult for the last 18 months or so.....that's why I did mostly write-ups on older vehicles and vehicles from my (and my friends) own past.

Next on my list might (?) be the Ford Bronco Sport, as my next-door neighbor's wife has got her heart set on one as soon as the market improves some. Her old 1Gen Escape's transmission partially-crapped out (though still drivable at low speeds), and she doesn't like the new Escape and its egg-shaped body....the Bronco Sport has the traditional squared-off look like she likes.