Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bronco Desert Racer Proves Ford CAN and NEEDS to Make a V8 Bronco (Op-Ed)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 09:16 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bronco Desert Racer Proves Ford CAN and NEEDS to Make a V8 Bronco (Op-Ed)

Hey, folks, in addition to being on the ClubLexus editorial team where I get to drive all sorts of fun Lexus and Toyota vehicles, I also work for a site called Ford Truck Enthusiasts where I've driven Mustangs, F-Series trucks, and the new Bronco -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...quatch-review/

Last week, I was in Nevada when Ford announced a limited-edition turnkey off-road-only racer called the Bronco Desert Racer (DR). It's technically the first new Bronco that will be built on a Ford production line with the 5.0L Coyote V8 (aka Ford's cousin to the Lexus 2UR-GSE)

ended up having a brief conversation with Ford about making a street-legal V8 Bronco. So I wrote an op-ed pining for Ford to make one -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...e-a-v8-bronco/

Old 11-12-21, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why would Ford add production cost/complexities with an available V8 when they can't even build enough turbo V6s to meet current demand?
Old 11-12-21, 03:53 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I suppose because there's profit to be made, they could throw a middle finger at the Wrangler 392, and one has to assume that OEMs are operating outside the notion that current manufacturing and supply limitations will last forever.
Old 11-12-21, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Well, I suppose because there's profit to be made, they could throw a middle finger at the Wrangler 392, and one has to assume that OEMs are operating outside the notion that current manufacturing and supply limitations will last forever.
Well, OK, I'll give you that one.......I had pretty much forgotten about the Hemi Wrangler. Haven't seen many of them on the road with the Hemi, though, even in the D.C. region's super-dense traffic.