Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Dodge Durango could go back to body-on-frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 09:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Next Dodge Durango could go back to body-on-frame

Rumors outlining what the future holds for the Dodge Durango are rampant. While some claim that the SUV is headed towards extinction, an unverified report suggests it will return for a fourth generation as a body-on-frame model aimed directly at the Chevrolet Tahoe.

Citing anonymous sources, enthusiast website Mopar Insiders wrote that the current-generation model will retire at the end of the 2023 model year, which seems to be a date that every report agrees upon. Its successor will allegedly enter production before the end of the 2023 calendar year on a model-specific version of the body-on-frame architecture that underpins Jeep's born-again Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer models. If the rumor is accurate, the Durango will return to its roots; the first two generations featured a body-on-frame design.

Shifting away from a unibody design makes sense from several perspectives. First, it would allow Dodge parent company Stellantis to reap the rewards of economies of scale. Towing capacity — which has always been one of the Durango's big selling points — will increase, though it's too early to provide a specific figure. And, it would give Dodge a true alternative to the Tahoe, one that will presumably be positioned as more of a mainstream model than the Wagoneer and the Grand Wagoneer, which spearheaded Jeep's upmarket expansion.

One of the next Durango's available engines will reportedly be a turbocharged, 3.0-liter straight-six that will soon be introduced by Jeep, and a plug-in hybrid system should be available as well. There's no word yet on whether the V8 will make a comeback. We know one fits, if it goes into the Wagoneer there's no reason to assume it wouldn't be able to go into the Durango, but we don't know if Dodge will offer it.

Interestingly, the same sources told Mopar Insiders that production of the fourth-generation Durango will take place at the Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Warren, Michigan, that currently builds the Wagoneer and the Grand Wagoneer. The factory also makes the Ram 1500 Classic, but the publication learned that the truck will go out of production before the next Durango begins rolling off the assembly line.

Keep in mind that none of this is official. Dodge hasn't commented on the report, and it hasn't shed light on what's next for the Durango. In the meantime, the 24-year old nameplate soldiers on for the 2022 model year with more standard features and fewer available paint colors.
Source
Old 11-16-21, 10:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This rumor has floating around for years, pre-Stellantis. Probably a good move for the Durango.
Old 11-16-21, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That would really interesting to see Dodge go back to a body on frame design
Old 11-16-21, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That would really interesting to see Dodge go back to a body on frame design

Wouldn't be the first time. The Nissan Pathfinder went back and forth between BOF and unibody for several redesigns.

My opinion here (not necessarily fact).............but I think that the enormous pent-up demand for the new Bronco (150,000 pre-orders the day it was unveiled) did not go unnoticed by the Dodge marketers. They may be trying to make the next Durango a little more off-road-capable and/or to be able to tow more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-16-21, 12:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wouldn't be the first time. The Nissan Pathfinder went back and forth between BOF and unibody for several redesigns.
Yes it did. I remember a time when it was predicted that all body on frame SUVs would just become crossovers. Guess not gonna happen. Ford Bronco and new Grand Waggoner. I do think GM made a mistake with the Blazer….a K5 Blazer would be ideal right about now
Old 11-16-21, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes it did. I remember a time when it was predicted that all body on frame SUVs would just become crossovers. Guess not gonna happen. Ford Bronco and new Grand Waggoner. I do think GM made a mistake with the Blazer….a K5 Blazer would be ideal right about now
Yeah, don't get me started again on what the current Blazer should have been LOL. We all argued that one, back and forth, in Car Chat, for months.
Old 11-16-21, 12:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

My opinion here (not necessarily fact).............but I think that the enormous pent-up demand for the new Bronco (150,000 pre-orders the day it was unveiled) did not go unnoticed by the Dodge marketers. They may be trying to make the next Durango a little more off-road-capable and/or to be able to tow more.
Tow more? My SRT Durango had a tow rating of 8,700 pounds, that’s more than a LX570! How much more would they want it to be?
Old 11-16-21, 12:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Tow more? My SRT Durango had a tow rating of 8,700 pounds, that’s more than a LX570! How much more would they want it to be?

Old 11-16-21, 04:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Durango already has a high tow capacity and is a three row SUV. They wouldn't be putting out a vehicle that's off-road biased when it's platform mate would be the Jeep Wagoneer, which has the off road/tough image firmly in its remit. If anything you'd be seeing more Tahoe RST-like variants.
Old 11-17-21, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The Durango already has a high tow capacity and is a three row SUV. They wouldn't be putting out a vehicle that's off-road biased when it's platform mate would be the Jeep Wagoneer, which has the off road/tough image firmly in its remit. If anything you'd be seeing more Tahoe RST-like variants.

I understand what you are saying (and agree with part of it), but Dodge and Jeep have put out (more or less) overlapping products before.

Originally Posted by article
Interestingly, the same sources told Mopar Insiders that production of the fourth-generation Durango will take place at the Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Warren, Michigan, that currently builds the Wagoneer and the Grand Wagoneer.
Good. IMO, the more plants and factories (and vehicles coming from them) that operate with American UAW labor, the better. I am not necessarily a believer in globalism. Although I would have preferred the American-spec Encore GX I bought to have been built here domestically rather than in Korea, at least that's better than in China.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-21 at 07:53 AM.