Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge to kill off Hellcats after 2023, replaced by EV's

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21, 11:51 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I have driven EVs - Mode 3, Y and MB EQS.

There are no moving parts to an EV, nothing really to go wrong. ICE is way more complex and unless you have 911 TurboS are not easy to launch and get consistent times like u can in a Tesla. Its controlled by computer first, human inputs are secondary thats why its so consistent in its performance.
It's consistent in launch performance, because the electronic motors are more precise than a gas engine, but there are just as many computers controlling ICE cars, ranging from traction to engine management. Human inputs are still very much primary in all cases, though, and I see it on a regular basis when I and other EV drivers autocross and they (more experienced drivers) post numbers consistently better than mine, or these same people who normally drive an ICE vehicle can hop into an EV and post better numbers.

Yes, driving in a straight line, in nearly any modern car that isn't designed to deliberately overpower its tires, is relatively easy. Fighting your car can be viewed as a skill. Piloting an EV or any other car around something more technical than a straight line is definitely still a large matter of driver skill, computer assistance or not.
Old 11-24-21, 11:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, everyone but Ralph Nader, the Maryland DMV....and, to an extent, DOT. But, I agree, regs were a lot less stringent in those days.

Also, consider this......that the only reason that the Superbird and Charger Daytona were ever sold for street-use was that NASCAR itself mandated that 1000 of them had to be privately-sold so they could run on NASCAR tracks.
LOL Ralph Nader, I wonder what happened to him? I guess we can thank him for things like seat belts etc. I was once in an accident that if we did not have proper seat belts and safety I would not be writing this today
Old 11-24-21, 11:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Sure modern cars have a lot of computer assistance especially with launch control.

But the driver is still the focal point and inputs for throttle, braking, shifting still matter. Knowing how to launch a car properly is a skill even with modern Hellcat.
Modern gas engine has electronic throttle and electronic everything else. As for launching the car "properly" that could mean anything, I think you mean the driver has to try and keep the *** end from putting you into the weeds that certainly takes skill but also is extremely dangerous especially on public roads.
Model S - you are a passenger along for the ride. Tesla wants to eliminate any human decisions altogether. Its a different ethos and some ppl like Tesla for this but it’s not for everyone.
Oddly enough, people that drive a Plaid or even ride in one have a giant smile on their face. Odd isn't it?
Old 11-24-21, 12:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Modern gas engine has electronic throttle and electronic everything else.
Oddly enough, people that drive a Plaid or even ride in one have a giant smile on their face. Odd isn't it?
"Modern gas engine has electronic throttle and electronic everything else."
It's called Drive By Wire. The computer determines the throttle position and controls the power to the wheels, pulls back power if needed

"Oddly enough, people that drive a Plaid or even ride in one have a giant smile on their face. Odd isn't it?"
Check out Throttle house's track drive of the Plaid
Old 11-24-21, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LOL Ralph Nader, I wonder what happened to him? I guess we can thank him for things like seat belts etc. I was once in an accident that if we did not have proper seat belts and safety I would not be writing this today

He's no Spring Chicken, and is some 87 years old now. He obviously is out of public life now, for good.....no more Presidential runs. Our condolences, though....he recently lost his grand-niece in one of those Boeing 737-Max crashes.
Old 11-24-21, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

EVs provide their own type of thrill, they're different. The limitless unending wave of torque is very compelling. Would I want a Hellcat or a Plaid? I would take the Plaid.

With that said, I think this is a mistake on Dodge's part to completely abandon Hemi engines and the like.
Old 11-24-21, 05:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The mistake here is for Dodge to say they are going EV. Shut up about it keep producing the V8 rumble machine, come out with the electric version. Sure purists will rant and rave but if Dodge does their job properly the EV version will be much better and people will come around.
Old 11-24-21, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The mistake here is for Dodge to say they are going EV. Shut up about it keep producing the V8 rumble machine, come out with the electric version. Sure purists will rant and rave but if Dodge does their job properly the EV version will be much better and people will come around.
Exactly, why not produce both and see what the reaction is?
Old 11-24-21, 05:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
EVs provide their own type of thrill, they're different. The limitless unending wave of torque is very compelling. Would I want a Hellcat or a Plaid? I would take the Plaid.

With that said, I think this is a mistake on Dodge's part to completely abandon Hemi engines and the like.
I don't think Dodge/FCA are abandoning the Charger/Challenger for the sake of jumping into EV'S. Looking at sales figures over the years, they have been trending downwards. Especially the Hellcat and Demon. The gravy train is basically drying up, the excitement is not what it was, especially with gas prices what they are
Old 11-24-21, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

EVs provide their own type of thrill, they're different. The limitless unending wave of torque is very compelling..
Electric torque, though, is somewhat different from gas torque....substantially different curves. Depending on how they are tuned, large gas engines generally reach peak torque at a few thousand RPMs, with less torque at higher RPMs (where you typically reach your HP peak), and at lower RPMs. Electric motors, on the other hand, are much more linear in output......max torque is at very low RPM (hypothetically, on paper at least, at 0 RPM)...and, the faster they spin, the more torque they lose. That is why cars like the Tesla 3, with its one-speed transmission, will shove you in the back like a rocket from the moment you stab the throttle (assuming that the tires have adequate traction), and why the Hemi-Dodges will take a few seconds, depending on the transmission/final-drive gearing and if you have forced-induction / turbo-lag or not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-21 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-24-21, 05:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Gearing solves that (Porsche, and I think Lucid) or even better what Tesla did with the Plaid motors.
Old 11-24-21, 05:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The bigger question is, "How would a Hellcat EV be any different from a Plaid?" That obnoxious, loud, uncontrollable wheel spinning monster is basically the entire character of the Hellcat and the antithesis of every EV.
Old 11-24-21, 05:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
The bigger question is, "How would a Hellcat EV be any different from a Plaid?" That obnoxious, loud, uncontrollable wheel spinning monster is basically the entire character of the Hellcat and the antithesis of every EV.
Driving several V8'S including the SRT, Mustang GT etc that obnoxious sound gets pretty old in daily driving...IMHO of course. At my age and stage of life the quieter, the better. Although I will be sad to see that monstrous V8 go away
Old 11-24-21, 07:21 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Charger and Challenger are niche models and ones with Hemi motor are even more rare.
Could be around your area/location. Up here just 'bout every 5/6 household has a LX,LC/LA as well as all the Hemi powered vehicle's...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-28-21 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-24-21, 07:29 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

If Stellantis is smart, I'd think they could sell them together.......

Quick Reply: Dodge to kill off Hellcats after 2023, replaced by EV's