Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge to kill off Hellcats after 2023, replaced by EV's

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 06:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Dodge to kill off Hellcats after 2023, replaced by EV's

Another death knell for the V8.

Dodge boss: Hellcats dead after 2023, drivable 2024 electric muscle car concept coming in 2022

Also, the Charger and Challenger will be axed by 2024 as well.
Old 11-22-21, 06:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Everything is going electric soon we will have electric blenders and vacuum cleaners. This is going to anger a whole pile of purists but it's inevitable so good on Dodge for embracing battery electrics.
Old 11-22-21, 06:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Well i guess all V8 models will be sold out in next few weeks.

Its so sad that these automakers have no backbone.
Old 11-22-21, 06:13 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is going to anger a whole pile of purists.
Yup, Dodge CEO is already getting death threats

Kuniskis is aware that a lot of people won’t be happy with the direction the brand is taking (he’s already receiving death threats for the changes). He calls it, “feeding the beast.”
Old 11-22-21, 06:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
Again nobody is saying NOT to build EVs but why do you need to Stop building V8s?!

It makes Zero sense.

Forcing ppl to buy EV muscle cars is laughable where most of the enjoyment is hearing the engine/exhaust and modifications. The only reason the Dodge brand is still alive is because of these enthusiasts and now the CEO is doing this, complete slap in the face.
Old 11-22-21, 06:25 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The only reason the Dodge brand is still alive is because of these enthusiasts and now the CEO is doing this, complete slap in the face.
In Dodge's case, I agree. They've built up their entire reputation on crazy V8's and really nothing else. But now that's backfired on them and when forced to transition to EV's with the rest of the world, they lost their entire reason for even existing anymore.
Old 11-22-21, 06:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
In Dodge's case, I agree. They've built up their entire reputation on crazy V8's and really nothing else. But now that's backfired on them and when forced to transition to EV's with the rest of the world, they lost their entire reason for even existing anymore.
Right - the brand will cease to exist by 2030 or even sooner.

BTW these V8 Hellcats are rarely driven and are completely insignificant to climate change. 🤦‍♂️
Old 11-22-21, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you're a CEO, and you are proposing production-changes that are so serious that it is leading to death-threats, then it's maybe time to say the heck with it and keep the monsters in production. You can only antagonize a loyalist crowd so far without paying a serious price.

That is why Ford, back around 1990 or so, was forced to keep the RWD V8 Mustang in production when some executives wanted to make it a FWD transverse-engined variant of the Mazda-based Ford Probe. The outcry from the public was tremendous...and that was that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-21 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-22-21, 07:30 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Right - the brand will cease to exist by 2030 or even sooner.
Maybe not. I'm amazed Chrysler hasn't been killed off yet.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you're a CEO, and you are proposing production-changes that are so serious that it is leading to death-threats, then it's maybe time to say the heck with it and keep the monsters in production. You can only antagonize a loyalist crowd so far without paying a serious price.
I'm sure if they had the choice to keep V8's they would- but they don't. We all know V8's are going the way of the dodo bird in the next couple of years.

That being said, there is no excuse for sending someone death threats for anything, nevermind a car going out of production.

Last edited by Motorola; 11-22-21 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-22-21, 07:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure if they had the choice to keep V8's they would- but they don't. But we all know V8's are going the way of the dodo bird in the next couple of years.

That being said, there is no excuse for sending someone death threats for anything, nevermind a car going out of production.
Why don’t they have a choice?
They are a horrendous brand and were only kept alive by Hellcat hype and Vin Diesel.

CEO and management just made poor decisions which will now kill the brand.

Im pretty sure a Dodge EV will be the last choice for most ppl looking for electric car lol
At least it will have the Hellcat sound playing through the speakers.
Old 11-22-21, 07:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You would change company policy based on a few crazy people making death threats?
That is why Ford, back around 1990 or so, was forced to keep the RWD V8 Mustang in production when some executives wanted to make it a FWD transverse-engined variant of the Mazda-based Ford Probe. The outcry from the public was tremendous...and that was that.
Rather different scenario, making a RWD performance car into an econo **** box is the same as killing the car completely.
Old 11-22-21, 07:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Why don’t they have a choice?

Stellantis: 98% of models to be electric or hybrid by 2025

Old 11-22-21, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That being said, there is no excuse for sending someone death threats for anything, never mind a car going out of production.

Oh, absolutely.....I totally agree. I certainly wasn't implying otherwise. We are a nation of law and order...a least on paper. But my point is that if a product decision is going to be that controversial, then perhaps it should be questioned. In the example I posted about the early-90s Mustang, Ford was ultimately wise enough to listen to what the public clearly wanted.....not politics.
Old 11-22-21, 08:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Charger and Challenger are niche models and ones with Hemi motor are even more rare.
I don’t think it would cost Dodge anything to keep making them and pocket the fat profit margins. They are killing these V8s to appease the climate warriors and so they can say “look how environmentally friendly we are now”

Ferrari will still be making V8s and V12s and last time I checked they are part of Stellantis.

At the end of the day - the customers are the ones that suffer.

Worst of all it will be the poor ppl getting hit hard when gas prices start to hit $10 in next 5yrs for them to fill up a used Camry, RAV4 etc.
Old 11-22-21, 08:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Charger and Challenger are niche models and ones with Hemi motor are even more rare.
I don’t think it would cost Dodge anything to keep making them and pocket the fat profit margins. They are killing these V8s to appease the climate warriors and so they can say “look how environmentally friendly we are now”

Ferrari will still be making V8s and V12s and last time I checked they are part of Stellantis.

At the end of the day - the customers are the ones that suffer.

Worst of all it will be the poor ppl getting hit hard when gas prices start to hit $10 in next 5yrs for them to fill up a used Camry, RAV4 etc.
Not only that, but right now EV only work for the wealthier people and they get to enjoy up to $12.5k tax credit on their EV purchase, while the poorer people get hit with higher fuel costs. It is what it is, the less people can afford to drive the less traffic.

Quick Reply: Dodge to kill off Hellcats after 2023, replaced by EV's