Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Kia Niro

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-21, 07:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2023 Kia Niro

The 2023 Kia Niro has been revealed for the Seoul Mobility Show. And just as expected, it's a blend of the outgoing Niro's basic profile, but with much more visual flair inspired by the HabaNiro concept from a couple years ago.

Coming from the concept are many details starting with the elaborate LED headlights and zigzagging grille accents. The large lower grille also features contrasting black trim that blends into the front arches and follows along down the doors. The concept featured the contrasting parts on the front fender, too, but that was dialed back. It's made up for by the matte black contrasting rear quarter panel that's even bigger than on the HabaNiro. The slim vertical taillights blend into the quarters, too, and rear is mostly devoid of additional lighting save for two small pods located in the rear bumper. The main difference is that this production Niro still has the same somewhat rounded and road-oriented shape, rather than a more rugged and upright shape. This is probably for aerodynamics and to maximize interior space.

Speaking of the interior, it puts its own spin on Kia's interior design with large screens centered on the driver. This layout is quite minimalist and elegant, with the screens shaped to fit the arcing shape of the dashboard. Other panels have smooth, intersecting lines, too. The multifunction button panel below the screen is borrowed from the new Sportage. Kia also has included some green materials such as a headliner made from recycled wallpaper and seats using materials made from eucalyptus leaves.

Kia hasn't given particularly specific details on the Niro's powertrain, but it will again be offered in regular hybrid, plug-in hybrid and full electric variants. Kia says it will also include a function in navigation-equipped cars that will automatically engage full-electric mode on the hybrid models in areas that the driver tends to use electric mode or if it's been pre-programmed for a certain area.

The Niro will go on sale next year. More specific availability and details on the small hybrid should come over the next several months.
Source

Kia Habaniro Concept
Old 11-26-21, 08:31 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Surprised this still even exists tbh.
Old 11-26-21, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I see they took the new Genesis steering-wheel design.

This new Niro will have some significant shoes to fill. I was quite impressed with the last Niro hybrid....appliance-like in its driving manners maybe, but solid, built like a tank, Thunk-shutting doors, and reasonably-priced. I would have taken one over the Toyota Prius any day.
Old 11-26-21, 11:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The jumbo headlights kill the front styling in my opinion. Love the interior and dash though- 90's Camry/Land Cruiser retro with a modern twist.
As a manufacturer, they are trying hard, which is good.
Old 11-26-21, 11:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Interior is not bad
Exterior is brutal
Old 11-26-21, 12:59 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I see they took the new Genesis steering-wheel design.
It's the same steering wheel from the Kia EV6.
Old 11-26-21, 02:17 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

It definitely won't be mistaken for anything else on the road.
Old 11-26-21, 03:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

would have taken one over the Toyota Prius any day.
I think a lot of people “SAY” they would get a Kia over a Toyota, but when you look at the long term picture…Kia just doesn’t last as long as is clearly not as reliable. For the short term, 5 years max, a Kia is not a bad choice. Doubt this new Niro will be any better than past Kia models.
Old 11-26-21, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interior is not bad
Exterior is brutal
pretty much agree. About exterior, it will sell because ugly is the new beautiful.
Old 11-26-21, 09:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interior is not bad
Exterior is brutal
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
pretty much agree. About exterior, it will sell because ugly is the new beautiful.

Do you both honestly think the new Niro is that ugly outside? Each to his/her own (and I respect different viewpoints), but, to me.......THIS is the epitome of automotive ugliness today......the Toyota C-HR (and the Prius is not far behind)

Before it was replaced by the Kicks, the former Nissan Juke (I called it the Joke) probably took the Eyesore Award.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-27-21 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-27-21, 08:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Do you both honestly think the new Niro is that ugly outside? Each to his/her own
I did not quite say it was ugly. But brutal in the sense that it is design with a weird style....that rear thing they are doing with the different color in the back quarter panel. Front end and headlights look strange/goofy
Old 11-29-21, 08:25 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

The exterior sucks. The interior looks nice though. I like the steering wheel.