Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new Service loaner policy from dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21 | 01:35 PM
RacerXX
Driver School Candidate

Default new Service loaner policy from dealer?

Hi,
I am the owner of a 2019 RX450h F-sport , that was purchased new from an Lexus dealership, in VA.
Until recently, my previous service has been un-eventful through the same dealership.
If the service takes longer than 4 hours, I asked and received a service loaner, no cost , no questions asked.
This changed about 2 services ago, when i had the 30,000 mile service performed.
The service advisor commented that the 30k service will be more time consuming and asked if i wanted a loaner.
I replied yes and used the loaner. After the service was completed , I retrieved my RX and returned home.
It was then I saw on the invoice, that a $20 fee was charged for the loaner.
At the time, I dismissed it as a mistake and didn't question it.

My most recent visit, was for a service campaign (fuel pump replacement) along with minor oil change, additives...
i asked the advisor, what was the service loaner policy, as i was charged last time.
Also, how does that work when the benefit of purchasing a new vehicle from the dealership was complementary service loaner.

He says it is complementary , when:
1) if it involved warranty repair work
2) service estimation of 8 hours or longer
3) service campaign work( recall)
To which he replied, i would received the complementary service loaner, due to the service campaign.

So, the next day , after i returned the loaner and drive off in my RX: hour later, i received a charge of $20 on my CC.
Yup, it was for the loaner.

So, i need to ask:
Has Lexus service loaner policy / requirement changed?
Is it an dealer to dealer choice to charge for the loaner?
Has any one else have a similar experience?
Am i lucky to not have paid for the loaner in my previous service?

It really not about the $, i would like to understand the requirements for the loaner.
Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-21 | 01:49 PM
bamalam
Advanced

www.lexus.com/guest-experience still touts service loaners as a benefit, with an asterisk noting that loaners are subject to vehicle availability. Neither my local Lexus dealer nor the dealer where I purchased mention loaners on their web presence. The Lexus dealership in Dublin, OH says this on their site:
COMPLIMENTARY LOANER CARS
Should you ever need to leave your vehicle with one of our specially trained technicians for more than eight hours, a complimentary Lexus loaner vehicle will be provided.
Old 11-29-21 | 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The loaner policy beyond Lexus' policy as bamalam stated is up to individual dealers, but I think a $20 charge for a loaner when they charge what they do for service is **** poor. In this marketplace a complimentary loaner has been Lexus policy forever.

Which dealer was this, one of the ones in Northern VA?
Old 11-29-21 | 05:42 PM
RacerXX
Driver School Candidate

It is Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, Va.
Old 11-29-21 | 05:47 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

So far, one of my favorite things is how easy it is to get a loaner at my Lexus dealer. It’s very similar to my experience with the local BMW and Mercedes dealers.

With my Acura, you almost had to have a disabled car to get a loaner.
Old 11-29-21 | 06:37 PM
RacerXX
Driver School Candidate

For me, it not really about the $.
Its more of a bait and switch or breach of contract issue.
I was promised one thing and received something different.
At this point, i do not trust anything verbal from the dealership.
i will probably do some research if service work at a different dealership (Toyota, due to Pohanka is the closest Lexus dealer to me)
will void the warranty.
Old 11-29-21 | 07:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RacerXX
It is Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, Va.
I figured. They’re awful. Take it to Alexandria.

And you can have it serviced anywhere. No worries about the warranty.
Old 11-29-21 | 07:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The loaner policy beyond Lexus' policy as bamalam stated is up to individual dealers, but I think a $20 charge for a loaner when they charge what they do for service is **** poor. In this marketplace a complimentary loaner has been Lexus policy forever.

Which dealer was this, one of the ones in Northern VA?
Agreed. Dublin didn't charge me when they screwed up scheduling. I've had a good time with having my alignments done there on all the cars.

Hopefully this continues this Friday
Old 11-30-21 | 12:52 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I always figured it was up to a dealer. I guess here in Los Angeles, we are a bit lucky. You pretty much always get a loaner, even if it's just for an oil change. I have chalked that up to competition, as there are a dozen Lexus dealers in the general region.
Old 11-30-21 | 04:26 AM
RacerXX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 11-30-21 | 07:40 AM
arentz07

I always had free loaners at Hendrick Lexus in Merriam, KS. I am about to take the IS in for its first service today and have signed up as a waiter, but I will ask if loaners are a thing at Nalley Lexus. I agree with Steve that the least they could do for the prices they charge is offer loaners.

FWIW, the BMW dealer where I took my wife's car recently didn't list loaners as an option on the website. However, when I went in person, the advisor offered me one. I basically didn't want to take a complimentary Uber ride (nee "shuttle"), so it was the next best option.
Old 11-30-21 | 07:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

My dealer, Lexus of Seattle, has a policy that you get a loaner if your service is expected to last more than 2 hours, but in reality, they've given me a free loaner every time I've wanted one, even if it's just a short service that lasts under an hour.
Old 11-30-21 | 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I always figured it was up to a dealer. I guess here in Los Angeles, we are a bit lucky. You pretty much always get a loaner, even if it's just for an oil change. I have chalked that up to competition, as there are a dozen Lexus dealers in the general region.
Thats how it has always been here too.

Hell, Chrysler gives me a loaner.
Old 11-30-21 | 08:20 AM
grabber2
Racer

Just FYI that Bay Ridge Lexus Brooklyn, NY will send you to Enterprise if you qualify for a loaner. Worst Lexus dealer and service center in NYC.
Old 11-30-21 | 03:27 PM
wasjr
Instructor

It does seem to depend on dealership. I get loaners from Lexus, Acura, and Mercedes. Lexus is by far the most difficult, and availability is based on type of service. Plus EACH time they make a copy of license and insurance card. The first time I was not aware of this and car had already been taken to service bay and had to be retrieved so I could get the card. Plus they charge for gas if the loaner is not refilled to level when received.
MB and Acura easy, and I can get a loaner for any service. The first time I had a MB loaner they made a copy of license and insurance card, and keep it on file. At Acura they just ask for my insurance company.

Quick Reply: new Service loaner policy from dealer?