Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 07:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there you go again, trashing genesis for some reason.
Uh, say what? “ for some reason?” I DON’T LIKE THE STUPID G90 TAIL LIGHT DANCE. That’s the reason.

You saying I can’t have a personal opinion that the tail light knight rider display looks super cheezy? Or that I can’t post it for some reason? I really like some things Genesis does and have said so repeatedly. I also don’t like other things they do and sometimes they take some design approaches that I don’t find attractive or I think are poorly done. Both are my own opinion.

On this new g90model the interior looks really awesome, the front end looks majestic but the overall lines are awkward, the exterior rear looks terrible and ripped off an old Oldsmobile. V8 option dropped which I think is needed. And those tail lights Somehow the Audi example manages to look cool but the posted example on this model just simply looks lame to me.

When expressing my own personal opinion about vehicles of every marque on this forum - including Lexus - I post that I like some things, sometimes I don’t like others. And I’ve stated that personal opinion each time talking about the model (and not the people posting)…. Check your facts and personal feelings / bias at the keyboard. You want to discuss further let’s pm.

Old 12-16-21, 08:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

always is a long time. tesla doesn't offer leather although i've certainly said they're not really a luxury car.
Didn't know that. Makes a Tesla even less appealing.

in the next decade, i expect a big push away from eating/using beef and chicken, maybe even fish, and certainly the ludicrous wasteful (and cruel) acres of cow hide used in cars. i expect this will be consumer-driven.
I don't think leather is going anywhere thankfully, and I have no idea where you're getting this hypothesis about us eating much less beef and chicken. What makes you say that? In 10 years I'm still going to be eating burgers and steaks, same as now.
Old 12-16-21, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

in the next decade, i expect a big push away from eating/using beef and chicken, maybe even fish, and certainly the ludicrous wasteful (and cruel) acres of cow hide used in cars. i expect this will be consumer-driven.
I agree about beef (which plugs up one's arteries), but I don't see a rush away from chicken and fish. Non-fried poultry, without the skin, and seafood are both quite healthy...particularly the cold-water fish and their high levels of the heart-beneficial Omega-3 fish oil.

sure, some people will still want/expect/demand leather, and they will pay a HUGE 'option' price for it. i could imagine it being a $5-10K or more option.
As the fur industry is starting to be outlawed in some places, I suspect that it will eventually happen with leather. Today, there is simply more concern for animals than in the past. And, has several of us have discussed, some excellent leather-alternatives. I still think NuLuxe is the best I've seen....although there may be a couple of newer materials I haven't seen yet.

i expect this will be consumer-driven.
Agreed. More and more people, today, aren't looking at their vehicles as rolling living-rooms with leather-sofas, but as commuting and shopping vehicles.

certainly the ludicrous wasteful (and cruel) acres of cow hide used in cars
We're already seeing some cutback in its use....leather on certain seating surfaces only, and fake stuff around it. On the new G90, though, at least from some sources/articles, it is using real tanned leather on the dashboard and console.
Old 12-16-21, 08:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
In 10 years I'm still going to be eating burgers and steaks, same as now.
Be prepared for a by-pass.
Old 12-16-21, 08:43 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Be prepared for a by-pass.
When I'm not hampered by back surgery, before it all, I was doing 350 minutes of high intensity cardio a week, like clockwork. And I will be back as soon as I'm well enough, not too much longer.

I don't eat red meat very much.

In any case we are wayyyy OT. But some of you think beef consumption will decline in America??
Old 12-16-21, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

a lot of that leather was wasted on me. If a fake product is just as good, or maybe better, why wouldn't we want it?
Do you want something real, or not? I don't want "artificial leather", I want real leather. Now, if you make something that is a different material that doesnt pretend to be leather thats a different thing. If you look at the new Range Rover, they have a neoprene style material option that is its own thing, that I'm all for.

poor thing.
I know, it offends me! LOL

it won't go away but i think it will become markedly less popular, along with cigars, cigarettes, and because of so many great new materials which are more consistent and cheaper.
Cigars are still pretty popular...
Old 12-16-21, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Why? You have an issue with leather?
You mean dead cows?

I just find that an odd comment considering you own an LC500 which has such delicious leather and trim it looks edible. I can't even begin to imagine how nice your LC smells inside.
my seats have the alcantara inserts which comprise a big chunk of the seating area.

the leather on the dash areas doesn't look like leather, and the leather on the seats definitely can get creases in it, something i'm not thrilled about.
Old 12-16-21, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

LC dash material is a synthetic leather, not real.
Old 12-16-21, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

AJT123 is right.......we are way off-topic, although some of it got started with a discussion of that was going to be continued or discontinued from consumer demand and life-style habits.

Back to the G90, I don't think this video has been posted....just came out a couple of days ago. It's got a lot of interior and technical close-ups/details.

Old 12-16-21, 12:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You mean dead cows?

my seats have the alcantara inserts which comprise a big chunk of the seating area.

the leather on the dash areas doesn't look like leather, and the leather on the seats definitely can get creases in it, something i'm not thrilled about.
So, you do not like leather is that what you're saying?

LC gets a pass for no wood in my eyes because it's so stuffed with leather.

Just, interesting. Would you rather it have NuLuxe? I think it's crazy there are $60k GXs being sold with fake leather. The entry level models I can understand.
Old 12-16-21, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Do you want something real, or not? I don't want "artificial leather", I want real leather.
i would rather not have leather if the alternative feels good, wears well.

Now, if you make something that is a different material that doesnt pretend to be leather thats a different thing.
i disagree. leather has lots of great qualities (so worth imitating) but of course the leather in cars has been treated relentlessly and bears no resemblance any longer to raw leather!

If you look at the new Range Rover, they have a neoprene style material option that is its own thing, that I'm all for.
interesting and i think the new land rover discovery interior materials are very cool. but if it's 'like leather' that's fine with me.

Cigars are still pretty popular...
and still completely disgusting to most people!

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LC dash material is a synthetic leather, not real.
ok. i think you said the g90 material is real leather, but it didn't seem like it to me. either way, i don't really care.

So, you do not like leather is that what you're saying?
i don't like animals being slaughtered so can have my car slathered in their hide if there's good alternatives. but hey, i'm not some vegan type... i'm wearing a leather belt, and leather shoes right now because i don't find the alternatives great, although as far as shoes i wear sneakers most of the time.

LC gets a pass for no wood in my eyes because it's so stuffed with leather.
we're talking about the LC500 i have, right, not the land cruiser? it's certainly a wonderful interior but i'm pretty sure a fair bit of it isn't real leather. as was just pointed out the dash is not leather. and alcantara is man made, right? that's on the roof of mine, pillars, seat middle back/bottom.

Just, interesting. Would you rather it have NuLuxe?
if nuluxe feels and wears well, then sure.

leather interiors are just another 'old world' hold over and another 'badge' of 'superiority'. it used to be wood in cars as well but most of that has gone away too. it used to be chrome too, and that's fading.

times change....
Old 12-16-21, 02:46 PM
BillyD1957
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that thing is beautiful,,,,,a big car
Old 12-17-21, 08:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

a lot of that leather was wasted on me. If a fake product is just as good, or maybe better, why wouldn't we want it?

poor thing.

it won't go away but i think it will become markedly less popular, along with cigars, cigarettes, and because of so many great new materials which are more consistent and cheaper.
Fake leather is a joke compared to the real thing, nowhere near as durable, soft/pleasant, and lacks the smell. Some of my best coats are real leather that is over 40 years old and is perfect, pleather barely lasts two years in the same use and is so much worse I gave up giving it a try.

Alcantara also doesn't hold a candle to real suede leather, it stains, gets sticky, and flakes apart.

Last edited by Striker223; 12-17-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-17-21, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Fake leather is a joke compared to the real thing, nowhere near as durable, soft/pleasant, and lacks the smell. Some of my best coats are real leather that is over 40 years old and is perfect, pleather barely lasts two years in the same use and is so much worse I gave up giving it a try.

Alcantara also doesn't hold a candle to real suede leather, it stains, gets sticky, and flakes apart.
they probably said the same things about plastic 40 years ago vs. wood, steel, etc.

things change / improve, consumer tastes change.

i get you like wearing a dead cow, but many don't.
Old 12-17-21, 12:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

rk better IMO.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back to the G90, I don't think this video has been posted....just came out a couple of days ago. It's got a lot of interior and technical close-ups/details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNqYyZ6WjTI
I like quilted stitching even though it's not as unique as it once was. Some cars, like this new G90, have too much of it. To me it looks overdone and busy. A little more understated would work better imo.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-17-21 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!