Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

i think color and wheel choice will matter a lot.
Old 01-15-22, 07:08 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Well I’ll tell ya this much, this all new Genesis has more road presence than the all new S class (and I’m not exaggerating). Saw an all new white S class on the highway and couldn’t tell if it was a Buick or a E class sedan from the back. Very underwhelming on Mercedes part to go so conservative with the exterior while making the interior look like a starship cruiser.

Edit: I would probably take the previous Gen S Class over the Genesis as I love the exterior styling. But the new Mercedes doesn’t come close when it comes to sex appeal.
Old 01-16-22, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Well I’ll tell ya this much, this all new Genesis has more road presence than the all new S class (and I’m not exaggerating). Saw an all new white S class on the highway and couldn’t tell if it was a Buick or a E class sedan from the back. Very underwhelming on Mercedes part to go so conservative with the exterior while making the interior look like a starship cruiser.

Edit: I would probably take the previous Gen S Class over the Genesis as I love the exterior styling. But the new Mercedes doesn’t come close when it comes to sex appeal.
I wouldn't agree with that, the W223 S Class still draws peoples attention in a way this Genesis never will.
Old 01-16-22, 10:04 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wouldn't agree with that, the W223 S Class still draws peoples attention in a way this Genesis never will.
That's 99% because of the badge.
Old 01-16-22, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

although you've stated often the W223 does not have the presence of the W222. but a long elegant sedan with a 3 pointed star is always going to attract attention.

i do think genesis is still 'trying too hard' - distinctive styling is one thing, and i like their shared design elements these days (dual band lights all around especially), but i think genesis needs better wheels and options on all their vehicles.

Originally Posted by Motorola
agreed.
Old 01-16-22, 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh it is, and it always has been. The badge has a huge impact.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
although you've stated often the W223 does not have the presence of the W222. but a long elegant sedan with a 3 pointed star is always going to attract attention.
Yep agreed.

i do think genesis is still 'trying too hard' - distinctive styling is one thing, and i like their shared design elements these days (dual band lights all around especially), but i think genesis needs better wheels and options on all their vehicles.
I also agree they try too hard, so does Lexus, and so does BMW (for some reason)
Old 01-16-22, 06:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

agreed.
So your saying that its 99% badge for a Mercedes. Very little product excellence?
Old 01-16-22, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So your saying that its 99% badge for a Mercedes. Very little product excellence?
The prestige has a ton to do with the badge. The product is excellent, but excellence doesn’t mean as much to the prestige as the badge does.
Old 01-16-22, 07:33 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The prestige has a ton to do with the badge. The product is excellent, but excellence doesn’t mean as much to the prestige as the badge does.
Yup, and that goes for the S-Class too. There was a review a while that compared the new S-Class to the Flying Spur.

The S-Class, despite costing a third the price of the Bentley, had better sound insulation, a better ride, and vastly superior (albeit questionably implemented) technology. The Bentley was still using a last-gen infotainment, not even the newer stuff found in recent Audi's.

And yet, if ownership cost was of no concern, most people would choose a Bentley over an S-Class any day. I would too lol.
Old 01-16-22, 07:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That Bentley interior is superior. And the W12.

If the G90 lacks a V8, why even bother comparing it to a S-class.
Old 01-16-22, 07:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Yeah. People who don't really know anything about cars have asked me why I have a "cheap Lexus" when I could have a C class like theirs. Same reactions to my A8, no one really knows what it is and it's been called a dressed up Passat before. People can't really tell it apart from an A4/6 on the road, I like that aspect to the point I pulled all my badges off and I'm contemplating putting an A6 one on. For the comedy factor.

It's freaking hilarious when they sit down in them though, suddenly their option changes. Most people have no idea that there is difference between A/C/E/S classes and anything below an E class is CHEAP when it comes to Mercedes.

Nothing at all like Lexus that always has a nice product inside no matter how cheap you go. I just don't get the "This is a nice car" thought in my head when I get in a 2/3/5 series, C/E class or A3/4/5/6 or their SUV equivalents. Lexus I usually get that thought even if I'm trying to keep my bias out of it, it's just nicer to even open and close doors on them vs the competition. Hard to ignore it.
Old 01-16-22, 07:42 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

That Bentley interior is superior. And the W12.
It also comes with a turbo V8 as an option, and now a hybrid V6 lol. And yes, I agree the interior is better looking with better materials, but the interior tech doesn't come close to an S-Class.

If the G90 lacks a V8, why even bother comparing it to a S-class.
Because the S-Class also comes with a turbo 6? And by that logic, why compare an LS500 to an S-Class?

Last edited by Motorola; 01-16-22 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 07:44 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Same reactions to my A8, no one really knows what it is and it's been called a dressed up Passat before. People can't really tell it apart from an A4/6 on the road, I like that aspect to the point I pulled all my badges off and I'm contemplating putting an A6 one on. For the comedy factor.
Imagine how it must have felt for Phaeton drivers lol.
Old 01-16-22, 07:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

why compare an LS500 to an S-Class?
Yeah, I don’t think it should be compared

l. And yes, I agree the interior is better looking with better materials, but the interior tech doesn't come close to an S-Class.
There always is a trade off. That Mercedes S class interior is a little too weird in some places. Kinda balances itself against each other
Old 01-16-22, 07:47 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I don’t think it should be compared
A 6-cylinder S-Class is totally comparable to an LS500.

There always is a trade off. That Mercedes S class interior is a little too weird in some places. Kinda balances itself against each other
I'll never get over those asymmetrical vents on the S-Class interior....

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!