Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-22, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Third, I'm not going to carry on any more of that conversation here...........the mods will probably tell us to take it to PM.
good, yes, and it wasn't appropriate to bring it up here in the first place. thank you.
Old 01-26-22, 05:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
I was behind one of the newer Hyundai Elantra’s today and my thoughts quickly went to to all new G90. Same designers perhaps? I don’t like the similarities at all!

1. Genesis G90 on Top :
2. Hyundai Elantra below:

I think the new Genesis styling works better on those new crossovers better than their cars. Seen the G80 and at dealers it looks great….very high quality that reminds me of Lexus when they emerged in the 1990s….but when I see the G80 on the road, it reminded me closer of Hyundai Sonata and loses the presence. The outdoing G90 with the new styling was pretty good looking. Will be interesting to see what the new G90 is like in person.
Old 01-26-22, 06:32 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Heckblende taillights are on everything. Do like that the Genesis maintains its "2 lines" theme. very distinctive at night at least

https://jalopnik.com/heckblende-tail...now-1830885780
Old 01-26-22, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I was behind one of the newer Hyundai Elantra’s today and my thoughts quickly went to to all new G90. Same designers perhaps? I don’t like the similarities at all!

1. Genesis G90 on Top :

i could point out dozens of differences, but we each see what we want to see.
Old 01-26-22, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

1. Genesis G90 on Top :

While the two are definitely similar, I'm not sure that I quite agree with your reasoning. That would be like panning Lexus for using the same spindle grille across the board from their lowest-cost to top-of-the-line models.

Not only that, but Audi, in particular, has a long history of styling all of their sedans more or less alike, and has been quite successful at it.
Old 01-26-22, 08:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While the two are definitely similar, I'm not sure that I quite agree with your reasoning. That would be like panning Lexus for using the same spindle grille across the board from their lowest-cost to top-of-the-line models.

Not only that, but Audi, in particular, has a long history of styling all of their sedans more or less alike, and has been quite successful at it.
To be fair you're talking Audi and Lexus lineups, so just one brand. This is Hyundai and Genesis, two brands.

In any event other than the taillights connecting and the angular trunk lid crease I'm not seeing the big deal. Genesis' two bar lighting in the front and back draws enough daylight between the two not to care.
Old 01-26-22, 09:49 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

This is a bummer. No plans for an EV version, or if there were any they were ruled out in favor of what is likely to be the GV90, which will share its electric platform with the Ioniq 7 and Kia EV9.

Genesis G90 Electrified (EV) ruled out by brand CEO – Report

The Genesis G90 is the brand’s all-new flagship luxury sedan that has launched this year on the S.Korean market and will travel across the globe starting in a few months. On January 14, 2022, however, brand CEO Chang Jae-hoon ruled out the possibility of an all-electric Genesis G90 Electrified. “We don’t have a plan to electrify the Genesis G90, but will set-up a plan to electrify a high-end model from another segment. Electrification of a full-size sedan is not an easy task,” quoted The Investor.The reason to opt for a different segment could either be engineering challenges or demand for a premium battery-electric sedan. However, a flagship Genesis Electrified SUV christened the GV90 seems to be in the pipeline. Probably a cousin to the Hyundai Ioniq 7 and the Kia EV9, it could also have three-row seating, and the appeal of a large SUV can make it a market favorite.

The reason to opt for a different segment could either be engineering challenges or demand for a premium battery-electric sedan. However, a flagship Genesis Electrified SUV christened the GV90 seems to be in the pipeline. Probably a cousin to the Hyundai Ioniq 7 and the Kia EV9, it could also have three-row seating, and the appeal of a large SUV can make it a market favorite.
Supposedly they plan to sell 20K units worldwide this year but have already received 18K orders in South Korea alone. Their domestic market demand is the sole reason Genesis is capable of developing all these luxury sedans while other Asian and American brands can't afford to.
What’s remarkable is that the Genesis G90 has stormed into the South Korean market and has received 18,000 bookings. The brand has a target of selling 20,000 units in the first year, which means that the Koreans have already achieved 90% of their target, just days after the launch announcement on December 14, 2021. According to an ETNews report dated January 13, 2022, Genesis booked more than 1,000 orders a day at a price of 100 million Won (GBP 61,860).

Last edited by Motorola; 01-26-22 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-26-22, 10:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
In any event other than the taillights connecting and the angular trunk lid crease I'm not seeing the big deal. Genesis' two bar lighting in the front and back draws enough daylight between the two not to care.
Can't say I disagree. Like I told another poster recently (can't remember who it was) sometimes I think we tend to get worked up and opinionated so much over such small vehicle details. I'm learning to simply live and let live on some things.

That's not to say that I don't have opinions any more (there are still some things I dislike on a vehicle)...but it's not worth going on and on about, like was the case, for example, with the big UAW GM strike a couple of years ago and GM shutting down the sedan-plants. I think half of my 85,000 posts were spent on that one subject LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-22 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-27-22, 04:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
This is a bummer. No plans for an EV version
good. ev versions of ice platforms make no sense going forward.
Old 01-27-22, 10:18 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This new design is really beautiful, but one thing overlooked is still the dealership experience, especially since a Genesis isn't really a bargain anymore. Until recently, the closest Genesis "standalone" dealer to me shared a parking lot (and staff) with the neighboring Hyundai dealer. We now do have a truly standalone dealer nearby in Santa Monica, so that's a start. I'm shocked Genesis hasn't opened a Beverly Hills dealership just for marketing alone.

My big concern with Genesis is still long term reliability. I know this doesn't matter for most, but when I buy a car, I usually keep them for quite some time. The Equus, arguably the G90 predecessor, has been showing it's quality pitfalls - air suspension failing, transmissions going out, electronic components failing, etc. via the forums I follow over there. The G90 has also had some hiccups based on those forums as well. I know there aren't any perfect cars, but part of the reason Lexus has kept me as a loyal customer is their longevity, reliability and customer service (when I do use the dealer).

Time will tell if Genesis can compete on the dealership front and reliability front. Again, I know this doesn't bother most. Genesis sales increased nicely in 2021. I would love to see the data on what brands those buyers are coming from. I'd say it's safe to assume many are buyers moving upmarket vs. buyers who own competing luxury brands, but I could be wrong...
Old 01-27-22, 02:26 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by COOLIS
My big concern with Genesis is still long term reliability. I know this doesn't matter for most, but when I buy a car, I usually keep them for quite some time. The Equus, arguably the G90 predecessor, has been showing it's quality pitfalls - air suspension failing, transmissions going out, electronic components failing, etc. via the forums I follow over there. The G90 has also had some hiccups based on those forums as well. I know there aren't any perfect cars, but part of the reason Lexus has kept me as a loyal customer is their longevity, reliability and customer service (when I do use the dealer).
Air suspension will inevitably fail no matter who makes it. Even the LS430, arguably the most bulletproof vehicle Lexus has ever made, couldn't escape its pitfalls.

You brought up an interesting comparison between the G90 and Equus though- the Equus had air suspension, massage seats, coolers, and other features that were removed when it was succeeded by the G90 (not just for the American market, this applied to South Korea as well). So in a way the G90 has come full circle by bringing back these features, but it makes you wonder why they were missing for one generation to begin with.
Old 01-27-22, 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Although modern air suspension systems are better. For instance, there are not many suspension failures on the W222 S Class forums even with that car dating back to 2014
Old 01-27-22, 02:42 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Although modern air suspension systems are better. For instance, there are not many suspension failures on the W222 S Class forums even with that car dating back to 2014
The Equus came out in 2009 IIRC.

I think ten years is generally the limit for most air suspensions. Even if they don't fail, dealers will demand that the air bags be replaced before that ten year mark.
Old 01-27-22, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I mean just age, if you look in the LS460 forum there are already 13-17 refresh air suspension failures
Old 01-27-22, 04:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
My big concern with Genesis is still long term reliability. I know this doesn't matter for most, but when I buy a car, I usually keep them for quite some time. The Equus, arguably the G90 predecessor, has been showing it's quality pitfalls - air suspension failing, transmissions going out, electronic components failing, etc. via the forums I follow over there.
the equus is ancient. if you keep any car over a decade you're going to have problems.

but also worth nothing, past performance is no prediction of future vehicles. so if that 2008 equus had issues, a 2023 g90 should be WORLDS better.

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!