Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 04:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

A pretty large bump in power from a 48volt hybrid system IMO. Interesting, but
Old 08-03-22, 05:34 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Price is officially out, starts at $90K for the standard version and $100K for the supercharged engine. No options other than color. Definitely a considerable price bump, but still cheaper than every other car currently in this segment, including the LS500. Reviews have been glowing so far, but I'll highlight Consumer Reports because they were able to test both engines and were the most thorough.

2023 Genesis G90 Is a Dazzling Delight for Drivers and Passengers Alike

By Keith Barry

Genesis went all out when it redesigned its flagship sedan, the plush G90. Wider, longer, lighter, and more substantial than its predecessor, the G90 is designed to pamper and impress.

Spend some time behind the wheel of the new G90 and you might find it hard to believe that the Genesis brand has existed for only a little more than six years. Hyundai, the parent company of Genesis, only built its first full-sized sedan in 1999. But when it comes to consumer goods, history matters less than results. Few cars feel so polished and refined as the G90, with added details that give this new Genesis just as much presence as long-established models from Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, and Lexus.

To assess this redesigned sedan, we rented two G90s from Genesis: a base version and an e-SC—an upgraded model with a 48-volt mild hybrid setup that also employs an electric supercharger, hence the name.

Unfortunately for those of us who would get to spend more time behind the wheel, CR doesn’t plan to buy a G90 for our test program. It’s just too much of a niche vehicle. Genesis sold only 1,821 G90s in 2021, and today’s consumers aren’t exactly clamoring to buy large, gas-powered sedans. Despite what a solid offering Genesis has introduced, we don’t predict that sales of the new model will skyrocket.

If you’re a Consumer Reports member, our initial expert assessment of the 2023 G90 is available to you below. If you haven’t signed up yet, click below and become a member to access this full article and all our exclusive ratings and reviews for each vehicle we buy and test. Joining also gives you full access to exclusive ratings for the other products our experts evaluate in several categories, including electronics and home appliances.

What we rented: 2023 G90 3.5T AWD
Powertrain: 375-hp, 3.5-liter turbocharged six-cylinder engine; 8-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive
MSRP: $88,400

What we rented: 2023 G90 3.5T e-supercharger AWD
Powertrain: 409-hp, 3.5-liter turbocharged and supercharged six-cylinder engine; 8-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive
MSRP: $98,700

Our testers had almost universal praise for the G90. Sadly, it’s hard not to think of the G90 as a sort of grand finale. After all, consumers who can afford to drop this kind of cash on a new vehicle are flocking to SUVs and EVs—not gas-powered sedans. Like a luxury ocean liner that was launched at the beginning of the jet age, the G90 is at the top of a changing game. That’s too bad, because it’s one of the finest luxury sedans we’ve ever experienced. Quite simply, the G90 can stand fender to fender with the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, Lexus LS, and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

Ride comfort: We have nothing but good things to say about the G90’s smooth ride, which absorbs any bump, frost heave, or road imperfection that comes its way. It has the same electronically controlled suspension that’s available on the GV80 SUV, using the vehicle’s built-in cameras to “read” the road surface ahead and prepare the suspension for impact. While the ride of both models is supreme, the e-SC version adds air suspension that somehow takes things even further. Comfort over sharp bumps is largely the same, but the system managed to better control the body over undulations and dips in the road.

Handling: The G90 is a very large car, but it doesn’t feel that way. Even when pushed through curves at high speeds, the big Genesis felt light on its feet, turning in as quick as a smaller car while the body remained controlled. This is especially true for the lighter base version without the mild hybrid setup. In fact, it’s almost too good—goading the driver to exceed speed limits and drive the luxo-barge like it’s a supersized sports car.

Power: Unlike other flagship ultra-luxury sedans, the new G90 doesn’t offer a V8. We don’t think that’s a problem: Both versions of the V6 offer plenty of power for the passing lane with no fuss from under the hood. We found it hard to differentiate between the two, because the e-SC’s added power compensated for the car’s extra weight.

Quiet: The G90 is among the quietest gas-powered vehicles we’ve driven, and it’s even quieter than some EVs. That bodes well for future electrified Genesis vehicles. In fact, the car isolates noise so well that it was almost impossible to tell when the e-SC’s engine shut down during coasting.

Fit and finish: It’s clear that Genesis paid attention to every single detail when designing the G90. The glowing, jewel-like gear selector **** looks and feels so cool. The window controls have such a high-quality feel to them. Contoured surfaces give the illusion of depth and volume, and upscale materials such as real leather and metal are nice to touch. We especially appreciate the use of unique trim materials—such as aluminum inlays and crushed carbon fiber—that set the G90’s design apart from other luxury vehicles. We wouldn’t be surprised if other brands copy some of Genesis’ designs. Our main concern was tracking dirt all over that beautiful white carpeting!

Rear-wheel steering: Standard on the e-SC model, rear steering can help with stability on the highway and can reduce the turning radius at parking lot speeds by about the width of the vehicle itself. We were shocked at how easy it was to turn the big G90 around on a dead-end street—just another way that this car creates a TARDIS-like illusion of being “bigger on the inside.”

The chauffeur experience: The G90 is clearly designed for the benefit of rear passengers. A large trunk release button near the steering wheel is a boon for airport drop-offs, letting the driver open the rear door and trunk in one fluid motion while exiting the car. The rearmost pillar—called the C-pillar in car design speak—is extra large for added privacy, like the C-pillar on a Bentley Flying Spur. And the e-SC version comes standard with a pair of adjustable rear seats that put airline business class to shame, a suspension setting intended to minimize back-seat bumps, and settings that keep alarms and navigation prompts audible to only the driver. The rear passenger-side seat even has a footrest—although fully extending it requires pushing the front-passenger seat far forward.

Unless you own an airport livery service, keep a driver in your employ, or really enjoy pampering your passengers, we think you should consider the base G90 or the supremely competent and slightly smaller Genesis G80. Otherwise, you’ll have a car with a fancy back seat and nothing to chauffeur it. (Groan.)

Rear-seat comfort: You sit in these seats, not on them. Even in the base G90, without the footrest and recline, they were as comfortable as a living room lounge chair. Unlike many cars with dedicated second-row thrones, the G90 gets a middle seat. We wouldn’t choose to use it unless absolutely necessary, but it’s helpful in a pinch. In both cars, a touch screen between the rear seats gives passengers control over interior lighting, sun shades, climate, and even media and navigation. This screen must be folded away when the middle seat is in use.

Rear-seat safety: The G90’s back-seat tech isn’t just for pampering. Genesis installed what it calls an “advanced rear occupant alert” that uses radar to detect occupants that may have been left behind. While other Hyundai and Genesis models incorporate ultrasonic sensors, the benefit of radar sensing allows the vehicle to detect even the slightest breathing motions. If it detects motion, it’ll sound the car’s alarm. We tried it out several times and found that it could even sense an occupant sitting still.

Also, because a reclined posture isn’t ideal in a crash, the e-SC model also gets something called a “presafe seat” that moves into an optimal position if the car detects an imminent crash. We tried this out and found that it adjusts the seatback forward and lowers the seat cushion just enough to make sure the occupant is sufficiently held in place by the seat belt, while also removing slack from the seat belt.

Driving position and front-seat comfort: Although some drivers found the G90’s front seats more comfortable than others, there was general agreement that Genesis didn’t shortchange the person behind the wheel. There’s plenty of padding (although some drivers’ elbows hit hard surfaces on the center console) and a myriad of seat adjustments. If you care about your chauffeur, consider a G90.

Transmission: Our initial impressions are that the G90’s eight-speed matches the eight-speed ZF used in the BMW 7 Series. It has quicker and smoother shifts than the nine-speed found in the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class—especially when it comes to downshifts on a hill.

“Hybrid” fuel economy: Hyundai markets its 48-volt mild hybrid technology as an “electric supercharger,” designed for performance over fuel savings, and to haul the added heft of the high-end model’s extra gear. Indeed, the automaker says the e-SC version of the Genesis gets only 24 mpg combined, and the base model gets 26 mpg. This is a car that’s begging for electrification, and we hope our dreams of a plug-in hybrid or fully electric version come true.

Rear-passenger controls: When a car is used for livery service, chances are that it will have a lot of passengers in the back seat for the first time ever. That means the controls need to have zero learning curve—or they need to be operable by the driver. Neither is the case here. We tried the back-seat controls ourselves and put friends and family back there—some explanation was always required. What good is a separate audio control system or the ability to move the front-passenger seat forward for more legroom if you need to read the owner’s manual to figure out how to use it?

Powered doors: On a similar note, the e-SC features motorized doors that pop open and fully close with the push of a button. It’s a good idea: Power-closing doors are common on taxis in other parts of the world but are expected to be operated by the driver. But these require the passenger to learn a new way of opening and closing a door—perhaps the simplest function a car can offer. All I could think of was the time I called an Uber and an old Toyota Sienna minivan showed up, with a handwritten sign taped to the sliding rear door that implored “PLEASE DON’T TOUCH DOOR HANDLES!” I asked the driver about it and he told me that too many confused or impaired passengers who weren’t expecting a power-operating door repeatedly yanked on the handle, damaging the door mechanism. Although such a sign would be undignified on the G90, it might be necessary.

The addition of a motor also means that pushing the door open manually requires more effort, sort of like manually closing a powered liftgate. And although the door might close toward you, it won’t trap you. We put foam inside the door and pressed the close button, and the door didn’t crush the foam. Impressive.

Fragrances: Like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and EQS, the G90 now offers a built-in scent diffuser. It’s designed to create a calming atmosphere for occupants, but unfortunately, the three scents on offer reminded us of industrial cleaners. Not to mention that a luxury car with a built-in scent would’ve deprived the internet of a world-class meme.

Rear space: Yes, the G90’s rear seats feel like easy chairs—but they’re in a very small living room. Even with its long wheelbase and massive rear seat, our testers still found the rear headroom a little cramped and there wasn’t enough room to fit toes under the front seats. Some taller folks had trouble fitting their feet up on the e-SC’s footrest, even with the front-passenger seat moved forward. Most luxury livery services have switched to big SUVs like the Cadillac Escalade, and it’s easy to see why.

Fingerprint entry: As is the case with the upcoming GV60, the G90 includes a fingerprint sensor that the automaker says will let drivers hop in the car and go without needing a key fob. But there’s good reason to be wary of facial and fingerprint recognition in cars. We’ll have to learn more about how Genesis plans to protect occupants’ privacy before we’ll recommend setting up and using these sorts of systems.

Controls: The G90 offers drivers and passengers an overwhelming number of features they can control. Although the most frequently used ones get their own dedicated, physical buttons, a few are buried deep within different menus or spread across different control panels. For example, the seat heater/ventilation system is grouped with the climate control settings, the seat adjustment is on the side of the seat, while the massage and memory functions are on the door. The amount of physical controls in the G90 is in stark contrast to the overwhelming digital experience you will find in the most recent S-Class or BMW 7 Series. We’d have to spend even more time with the G90 to see whether it’s easy to familiarize oneself with those choices.

Advanced safety and convenience systems: We found the G90’s adaptive cruise control to be a competent companion on a long highway slog. However, Genesis’ automatic lane-changing feature isn’t as good as Mercedes’, and its traffic sign recognition system occasionally picked up speed limit and stop signs from adjacent roads.
Only video review so far:

Last edited by Motorola; 08-03-22 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-03-22, 06:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I expected more HP from a turbo/supercharged motor. No high performance hybrid tech. Oh well, still a bargain on price

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-03-22 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-03-22, 08:17 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The power #s are laughable for a “NEW” flagship sedan.
For $20k more, i much rather drive an S580
Old 08-03-22, 08:43 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I expected more HP from a turbo/supercharged motor. No high performance hybrid tech. Oh well, still a bargain on price
It's not surprising. The equivalent S500 has the same electrically supercharged mild hybrid 6-cylinder that makes 429 HP and 384 lb-ft of torque. The Genesis engine makes 409-420 HP (depending on whether you look at OEM or EPA specs) and more torque at 405 lb-ft. I'm more curious about how the power delivery is in the G90 compared to the S500, since Mercedes's 48V system is quite different from everyone else's like Audi/BMW.

Jaguar Land Rover also has the same powertrain, but it makes <400 HP and is only used in SUV's, so it's not a good point of reference.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Good luck finding a base model V8 S-Class lol
Old 08-03-22, 09:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola

Good luck finding a base model V8 S-Class lol
My local dealer has 3 in just white color that are $120-123k.
He sent me the window stickers just last week. The S580 is not hard to get and plenty of them with low options.
Old 08-03-22, 09:51 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

He sent me the window stickers just last week. The S580 is not hard to get and plenty of them with low options.
Just performed a national search on Autotrader, of the 883 MY 2022 S580's for sale in the entire country, 91 are at/below $123K, 34 at/below $120K. They're practically unicorns.
Old 08-03-22, 12:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The power numbers would be competitive 5-7 years ago. Simply not good enough for a 2023 MY flagship.
Old 08-03-22, 01:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Just performed a national search on Autotrader, of the 883 MY 2022 S580's for sale in the entire country, 91 are at/below $123K, 34 at/below $120K. They're practically unicorns.
Well i guess im lucky as my local dealer has 11 S580s and half are under $125k.

There are 30 within 50miles of where i am. Here is one for $119k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...-c07bf77bb128/

Hardly unicorns lol

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-03-22 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-03-22, 01:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Uh yeah. I’d rather have an LS500 than this. I don’t dislike it but yeah.
Old 08-03-22, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

You won't get an S Class optioned anywhere near this for $20k more. Try $40k more, if not actyally $50k+ more, it would have to have eABC etc.

If you want a low optioned one that isn't comparable to this.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Uh yeah. I’d rather have an LS500 than this. I don’t dislike it but yeah.
Not the way the LS500 drives.

I will seriously consider this when the time comes.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-03-22 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-03-22, 03:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You won't get an S Class optioned anywhere near this for $20k more. Try $40k more, if not actyally $50k+ more, it would have to have eABC etc.

If you want a low optioned one that isn't comparable to this.

[size=33px].
[/size]
What?!

So you will take this V6 G90 over S580 lol
What options is the Sclass missing exactly. The engineering, build quality, luxury, ride, V8 power are all on a completely different level. The tech in S580 is also much more advanced.
Old 08-03-22, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What?!

So you will take this V6 G90 over S580 lol
For $50,000 less? Maybe. $50,000 is a lot of money. Whats the delta on the lease payment? We'll see.

What options is the Sclass missing exactly. The engineering, build quality, luxury, ride, V8 power are all on a completely different level. The tech in S580 is also much more advanced.
Those low option S580s have no road sensing suspension, no upgraded audio, no upgraded interior so where the G90 has real leather and alcantara the S will have MBtex and cloth headlining, they have no power rear seat options or rear seat comfort options of any kind while the G90 has full lounge seating.

The Mercedes will have better engineering for sure, but a lot of the interior design is questionable (I actually prefer the G90s dash), ride will be more sophisticated but won't be a HUGE departure (think my S560 vs my LS460L) and will lack the road sensing functionality. Luxury, depends on what you mean, the G90 will have much better materials inside unless the S560 has exclusive nappa which they won't at that price point.

As for tech, not really...a lot of the tech in the W223 is ridiculous and Genesis/Hyundai has really good drive assist systems even in their lower end cars.

Build quality from Mercedes is not as good as Lexus...I'm sure this G90 will be just as good or better.

Even a 6 cyl S500 optioned similarly to a $100k SC G90 is a $140,000 car.

The S Class is a better car no question, but it is 50% more money. You could buy a G90 AND a G80!

I love my S Class, but I'm not paying a $2,500 a month lease payment for a W223, its not worth that.
Old 08-03-22, 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So here we go, I built some. This is a non executive car, so this does not have the executive rear seating package with the lounger like the G90 S/C but it does have power rear seats. S500 would be $7K less:

This is an executive line car that is really whats comparable to the G90 S/C:

This is how I would option one, AMG package, 20" wheels, exclusive nappa, Burmester 4D but no heads up or eABC:

In any event, significantly more money than a G90.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-03-22 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-03-22, 05:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For $50,000 less? Maybe. $50,000 is a lot of money. Whats the delta on the lease payment? We'll see.

Those low option S580s have no road sensing suspension, no upgraded audio, no upgraded interior so where the G90 has real leather and alcantara the S will have MBtex and cloth headlining, they have no power rear seat options or rear seat comfort options of any kind while the G90 has full lounge seating.

The Mercedes will have better engineering for sure, but a lot of the interior design is questionable (I actually prefer the G90s dash), ride will be more sophisticated but won't be a HUGE departure (think my S560 vs my LS460L) and will lack the road sensing functionality. Luxury, depends on what you mean, the G90 will have much better materials inside unless the S560 has exclusive nappa which they won't at that price point.

As for tech, not really...a lot of the tech in the W223 is ridiculous and Genesis/Hyundai has really good drive assist systems even in their lower end cars.

Build quality from Mercedes is not as good as Lexus...I'm sure this G90 will be just as good or better.

Even a 6 cyl S500 optioned similarly to a $100k SC G90 is a $140,000 car.

The S Class is a better car no question, but it is 50% more money. You could buy a G90 AND a G80!

I love my S Class, but I'm not paying a $2,500 a month lease payment for a W223, its not worth that.
I shared a link of $119k S580 thats local to me.
Thats only $20k more than G90.

That car has real leather and features not present on G90.
Not to mention V8 power, prestige and actual luxury from world class brand not an upstart that doesn’t even have a dealer network.

The G90 needs to be much better in every way vs S580; which it certainly is not.
Its not even that much of a value play is what im hinting at especially as you can get S500 for $110k!

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!