Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22 | 11:41 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently the G90's already sold 9,100 units so far this year in South Korea. It was globally production capped at 20K units this year so I wonder how many will actually even be available in the U.S.

Last edited by Motorola; 08-05-22 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-06-22 | 08:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
So what exactly is wrong with the S580 that i linked which was $119k which is only $20k more not $50k than G90. It has timeless styling, V8, more advanced tech, suspension etc.
comparing isn't easy but i've taken a look to see what i could find.

your listing right from the dealer's website:
https://express.mbwhiteplains.com/ex...6G7GB5NA157536
2023 g90 specs from worldwide website as it's not available in u.s. yet:
https://www.genesis.com/worldwide/en...g90/specs.html

some things on a loaded g90 that appear to not be on your low end $119k s580:
- Rear wheel steering
- Air suspension
- Heads up display
- Noise canceling interior
- Heated rear seats

maybe those things don't matter to you.

G90 should be priced under LS500 while offering performance and luxury that outdoes Sclass.
if you want the luxury rear seats on the ls500 i think it will be WAY more expensive than the g90. i expect the g90 to also be substantially roomier inside. as for 'performance', none of these cars are sports cars and all will drive wonderfully in a luxurious way.

this new g90 to me reminds me of what a cadillac should be... sumptuous, roomy, quiet, powerful.

not taking anything away from an s-class, but i'd never want a low option one. i also don't like the 'ski slope' center screen on it.

Old 08-06-22 | 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
So what exactly is wrong with the S580 that i linked which was $119k which is only $20k more not $50k than G90. It has timeless styling, V8, more advanced tech, suspension etc.
Its lacking a LOT of equipment compared to that G90. I can tell you that no matter how awesome a car is, you miss options that you wanted that you did not get. For instance I really miss the upgraded leather mainly for the suede headliner and I really miss the upgraded audio on my S560. Those things would have added $11,000 to the price. It was the same way with my LS460, I originally got a base one thinking "hey its an LS I'll be happy" and I traded it in on one that had all the options i really wanted.

So no, I would not buy that $119,000 S580 lacking all of those options. I would spend more and get one with the stuff that I want. The G90 has stuff I don't care about, such as the rear seat suite, heads up display, I would probably skip the eABC because the car rides so great with the standard airmatic etc, I wouldn't get that in an S Class but I would option way more stuff than those base cars have.

The thrill of the car "being an S Class" wears off and you are left with the substance of what it is, and thats when missing features bother you. Don't get me wrong I love the car, but if I had it to do over again I would have spent more for one with a couple more things.

And "only $20,000 more"....$20,000 is 20% more! Thats a lot of money, especially to get a car that lacks all of those features and options "just because its an S Class". Spending other people's money is easy.

If you asked me the question "would you take a loaded G90 over a base S580" my answer would be, if it rides and drives 90% as well...yes. Would I take a loaded G90 over an S580 optioned the way I want it optioned (AMG package, upgraded leather, 4D Audio, which is about $139,000 car) the answer is...maybe.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-06-22 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-06-22 | 09:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The only things I would want that the base V8 S-class doesn't have is the full leather and the hud, perhaps eABC as well but that's a maybe. I am not interested in rear wheel steer or rear seat extras since I'm going to be driving not driven and the rear seats will already be fine I'm sure......

The E class may get a similar engine sure....but I prefer a larger car for service reasons and the S class is simply better built and more advanced. The G90 looks great but the lack of a serious engine option leaves it in the same place as the LS for me.
Old 08-06-22 | 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The only things I would want that the base V8 S-class doesn't have is the full leather and the hud, perhaps eABC as well but that's a maybe. I am not interested in rear wheel steer or rear seat extras since I'm going to be driving not driven and the rear seats will already be fine I'm sure......
Would you want the AMG styling or would you be happy with the base car? AMG styling is a must for me, transforms the car. That option alone is $6k.
Old 08-06-22 | 10:22 AM
1111GS

Just looked at the starting prices for these 3.5T and LS500. Dang they have gone far. Just like their TVs, not that long ago they were inferior to Japanese brands. I'm sure they can sell but apple to apple, dollar to dollar, I still see German dominance in higher end around me. Why would you not care for HUD, Steve? It's such a nice/safety feature that all high ends should come equipped imo.
Old 08-06-22 | 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Just looked at the starting prices for these 3.5T and LS500. Dang they have gone far. Just like their TVs, not that long ago they were inferior to Japanese brands. I'm sure they can sell but apple to apple, dollar to dollar, I still see German dominance in higher end around me. Why would you not care for HUD, Steve? It's such a nice/safety feature that all high ends should come equipped imo.
I'm not interested in the fancy augmented reality HUD option that comes with the 3D instrumentation for $3k. I would take a regular HUD for sure.
Old 08-06-22 | 10:49 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Would you want the AMG styling or would you be happy with the base car? AMG styling is a must for me, transforms the car. That option alone is $6k.
I like it but I also tend to like base looking cars with the top engine for stealth. I likely would get it though
Old 08-06-22 | 11:33 AM
1111GS

Yeah AMG styling makes a difference. Most noticeably is on GLE/GLC. Only AMG style looks like a different brand. Lol I looked at the S while trying to do a build, the only thing changes between the two are the wheels. How can you tell? I went through the pictures in the gallery but can't pin point to the differences between AMG, Luxury and Executive.
Old 08-06-22 | 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Yeah AMG styling makes a difference. Most noticeably is on GLE/GLC. Only AMG style looks like a different brand. Lol I looked at the S while trying to do a build, the only thing changes between the two are the wheels. How can you tell? I went through the pictures in the gallery but can't pin point to the differences between AMG, Luxury and Executive.
The configurator is messed up. The AMG package on the W223 is the same as the W223, front fasica, rear bumpers, side skirts, wheels and metal pedals.

Standard car:

AMG Pack car:

Old 08-06-22 | 01:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The configurator is messed up. The AMG package on the W223 is the same as the W223, front fasica, rear bumpers, side skirts, wheels and metal pedals.

Standard car:

AMG Pack car:

Was going to say the same thing as you, the pictures you linked are perfect. That's also why I mentioned AMG is a maybe for me, I like both looks a lot.
Old 09-05-22 | 11:13 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Nice review. He seems to really like it. Even the negatives (mostly gimmicks) weren't that big of a deal.
Old 09-05-22 | 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This was a review from a 4 time LS owner and 4 time S Class owner who currently has a brand new S580 from MBWorld:

Yesterday, I was invited by a local dealer to drive the brand new, 2023 Genesis G90. I drove their top line model with the supercharged V6. Honestly, I came prepared to really be turned off, but the car is pretty amazing.

Back in 2017, Genesis loaned me a G90 for a two day test drive. There were several things that were a turn-off about that car, enough for me to not consider it a contender in the luxury sedan category. This new car is light years better.

The car drives amazingly well, with plenty of pep from the 409hp twin-turbo V6 with an electric supercharger. I would call the propulsion “buttery,” being extremely smooth. Transmission shifts are almost imperceptible.

Ride quality was superb, which was truly amazing, since the car rode on 21” wheels, which are standard on this model. I drove on the freeway and then on some fairly rough surface streets and I was very impressed with the comfort. The wheel design, to my way of thinking, is overly busy and should I ever end up with one of these cars, I’d probably swap out the wheels first thing, hopefully for something smaller in diameter and of a less fussy design. Unfortunately, Genesis provides no spare, but provides a “TireFit” kit. Kudos to Genesis for providing Michelin tires, where one might expect to see the Hankooks that MB saddled me with on my S580.

Genesis has also found it necessary to copy other brands by going with pop-out door handles and an all glass, pano-style roof. How I could have done without either of those!

The massage seats are infinitely better than in my S580. The adjustable pressure is significantly firmer and deeper, while being absolutely silent. I find the “popping” sound made in my S580 to be irritating and have always felt that the pressure was lacking.

Believe it or not, the doors have electric closers with buttons on the door panel and on the center console. Touch the button and the door closes. No stretching to reach the door. Why MB didn’t do this on the W223 is just beyond me. Well done Genesis.

The upgraded Bang & Olufsen sound system seems to rival the 4D in my S580 and is standard in the supercharged model. With 1700 watts & 23 speakers, it’s no wonder why.

Most all features have buttons & switches in addition to the touchscreen controls and the dash layout is much more traditional than the W223. I like it.

The wood trim in the cabin is dull and reasonably ugly. The fact that it really isn’t all that noticeable is a good thing. Even though the interior is very well done, it does not compare with the Exclusive Nappa W223 option. Genesis needs to work on this. The interior could be more attractive. And, just to show that they can be as stupid as MB, the cream color interior has near white, cream colored carpeting, which is insane and completely impractical.

In summing up, right at $100K MSRP, the car is a bargain, in my opinion. I need to drive one for a few hours to really make up my mind as to how good it really is, but based on my 15 minute test drive, I am very impressed. With this new car, I truly believe the new G90 to be a player in the MB, BMW, Audi luxury sedan segment.
Old 09-05-22 | 12:05 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GFerg
https://youtu.be/U6kBSeIlGlA
Nice review. He seems to really like it. Even the negatives (mostly gimmicks) weren't that big of a deal.
yep. Better interior than the LS.
Old 09-05-22 | 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally don’t like some of the design choices in the interior. I’m not a “pill shaped” fan, and everything is ovular and pill shaped. Quality looks great.

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!