Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-22, 12:39 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
here we go again value is part of every selling proposition. for some they value the BRAND greatly. but i think you're referring only to what, physically, you get for your money as value. again i say you get what you pay for. same old discussion. an ls500 costs less than an s-class because an ls500 isn't in the same league as an s-class. they're just different. so lexus' 'value' is simply lower prices for less car. doesn't make them bad or worse, just different value proposition.
That's also a problem in a way, value only goes so far. There is such as thing as deal breakers so to use the ES vs G80 example the ES is simply not the same level of car mechanically. Features only go so far to mask the fact the car is outclassed. Same with the LS500 vs the Germans since it is lacking 2 cyl and about 250hp potential out of the gate to say nothing of seating and size, those are all hard factors that can't be overcome.

The LS is now the GS for all practical comparisons vs other brands and Lexus has no flagship anymore. The LC500 is the closest thing but it's a 2 door.....if it somehow came with 4 doors now that would be very compelling for people who like top shelf cars.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-08-22 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-08-22, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
But if we're really going into semantics, value is subjective. What's worth more to one person won't be worth anything to another. Steve touched on it in the ES thread about how he values a Genesis G80's RWD platform over the ES, even if the G80 is missing luxury amenities from a similarly priced ES. Meanwhile others value the ES because of its interior volume even though it has a more pedestrian platform. Some people will argue that Genesis offers no value over any of the competition because you don't get the badge or dealer experience of an established luxury brand no matter how much you pay.
Very well said. For me, I value the brand to a certain extent. In the past brand has kept me out of a Genesis, but I think we're getting to the point where there is some buzz around Genesis, and the brand has some identity to where I can get behind it. Also, as I get older, I care less what other people think.
Old 09-08-22, 07:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I get older, I care less what other people think.
But you still care. So a Mercedes-Benz S class projects a better image. Whereas you are not quite sure what Genesis will project…but if the press keeps saying value…that’s not ideal IMO.
Old 09-08-22, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But you still care. So a Mercedes-Benz S class projects a better image. Whereas you are not quite sure what Genesis will project…but if the press keeps saying value…that’s not ideal IMO.
Sure, I still care...but I care less. I don't care about the image difference between Lexus and Mercedes, in fact the prestige of the S Class if anything bothers me. Value doesn't bother me, the Genesis is a huge $100,000 car, it clearly projects that I am legitimate and successful, but it doesnt have the "ego" that the S Class projects. That I can do without.

Example, I was at a walkthrough for a $400,000 townhouse the other day, and the other agent says "man, sweet S Class, I gotta keep working", clients and everybody are there. Car is more than 25% the cost of the house. Some people would love that attention, I don't.
Old 09-08-22, 07:12 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Sure, I still care...but I care less. I don't care about the image difference between Lexus and Mercedes, in fact the prestige of the S Class if anything bothers me. Value doesn't bother me, the Genesis is a huge $100,000 car, it clearly projects that I am legitimate and successful, but it doesnt have the "ego" that the S Class projects. That I can do without.

Example, I was at a walkthrough for a $400,000 townhouse the other day, and the other agent says "man, sweet S Class, I gotta keep working", clients and everybody are there. Car is more than 25% the cost of the house. Some people would love that attention, I don't.
A nice car can be a tool to convey a certain image or illicit a reaction, same with a cheap beater. If you need to be low key bring something else....

However your car is super nice so I get just driving it at all times lol!
Old 09-08-22, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
A nice car can be a tool to convey a certain image or illicit a reaction, same with a cheap beater. If you need to be low key bring something else....

However your car is super nice so I get just driving it at all times lol!
I don’t have multiple cars lol. This is my car, so wherever I need to drive, that’s what I drive. I don’t have any desire to have multiple cars, I just need one.

I just prefer the more anonymous image of the Lexus, or the Genesis. Where people see the car they know I’m a successful person, but it doesn’t rise to the point where they comment on it.
Old 09-08-22, 08:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I don’t have multiple cars lol. This is my car, so wherever I need to drive, that’s what I drive. I don’t have any desire to have multiple cars, I just need one.

I just prefer the more anonymous image of the Lexus, or the Genesis. Where people see the car they know I’m a successful person, but it doesn’t rise to the point where they comment on it.
Genesis is flashy no?

Makes sense due to your area, if I venture more than about 30 min away from my place even my old LS draws a lot of comments and attention. A new S like yours would be a beacon around some places I go to lol!

I actually had a guy try and hold me up in West Virginia back in 2019 since I was passing though at night in a unusually nice car for the area. Was quite entertaining since he literally brought a knife to a gunfight, thankfully he gave up and the cops took care of it.
Old 09-08-22, 09:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Genesis is flashy no?
Nowhere near as flashy as a Mercedes.

I actually had a guy try and hold me up in West Virginia back in 2019 since I was passing though at night in a unusually nice car for the area. Was quite entertaining since he literally brought a knife to a gunfight, thankfully he gave up and the cops took care of it.
Wow, really? Where in WV?
Old 09-08-22, 10:21 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 960 Likes on 765 Posts

A Genesis may be a nice car but to me and many others a Mercedes is a symbol of style and success.

True story, my brother sold real estate for a while and did well.and one of the first things he did was buy a new car because he found out very fast pulling up in a beater like "better call saul" did not project an image of success and customers felt that and doubted his expertise and competance.

It's true.
Old 09-08-22, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Value pricing is a legitimate practice. To me, Acura and Infiniti are a value brands because they are luxury brands that have a lower cost of entry across their entire lineups. Relative to other vehicles in their respective segments, they are cheaper to get into and option up, even if they are missing the top end of options as their competition. The same goes for the current ES and RX.
value pricing is just targeting specific consumers who don't want or care about certain features and are typically those who see themselves as 'practical' and want "good value for money".

But if we're really going into semantics, value is subjective.
absolutely. because the joke is in the end you really do get what you pay for unless a vendor has a desire to disrupt a market by offering an artificially low price to start. gee where have we seen that. lexus at the start, and genesis at the start. and gee where are we at now. basically the same value/price as anyone else although this g90 is a 4th attempt (equus and g90 gen 1, 2, and now 3) to disrupt the luxury large sedan market. but the prices are obviously climbing. i think the g90 i had (2018-2021) was a bit under $70K which seems like peanuts today! LOVED the car. and sure i knew how my neighbor's s-class was 'better' in a number of ways, for a lot more money, but i didn't want to shell out that much so went with the 'value' g90.

Whether anyone considers them a value or not, Infiniti and Acura have positioned themselves a wrung below Genesis as a luxury brand, barring vehicle like the MDX Type S.
yeah i call infiniti and acura kind of confused brands... a pretty basic ilx and an amazing 6 figure nsx but which doens't have a great interior. at least buick knows it's 'near' luxury and doesn't pretend to be what it's not.

Very well said. For me, I value the brand to a certain extent. In the past brand has kept me out of a Genesis, but I think we're getting to the point where there is some buzz around Genesis, and the brand has some identity to where I can get behind it.
i don't care about brand at all. when i had an acura legend, i ignored the integras, when i had a lexus gs, i ignored the ISs and even the LSs i couldn't afford. then i moved to the countryside and went to a ford explorer then upmarket some to a loaded jeep grand cherokee, then to genesis g90 (i was in an f'it mood and wanted something really smooth and quiet), now to 2 vehicles, the hyundai santa fe for work and the lc500 toy for weekends.

Also, as I get older, I care less what other people think.
lol, i have a bunch of years on you, so yeah... well done!

Value doesn't bother me, the Genesis is a huge $100,000 car, it clearly projects that I am legitimate and successful, but it doesnt have the "ego" that the S Class projects. That I can do without.

haha, i pulled up in the grocery store parking lot in my LC and some guy says "wow, nice car!" i smiled and said thanks... it's nice to hear it, and i enjoy driving it, but i certainly don't need people telling me it's nice.

that too might change. you haven't had your mid life crisis yet

I just prefer the more anonymous image of the Lexus, or the Genesis.
me too.
Old 09-08-22, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
A Genesis may be a nice car but to me and many others a Mercedes is a symbol of style and success.

True story, my brother sold real estate for a while and did well.and one of the first things he did was buy a new car because he found out very fast pulling up in a beater like "better call saul" did not project an image of success and customers felt that and doubted his expertise and competance.

It's true.
Thats what I do for a living, and its a balance. You want to look like you are successful and legitimate, but you don't want to look overpaid. Lexus does that very well.

haha, i pulled up in the grocery store parking lot in my LC and some guy says "wow, nice car!" i smiled and said thanks... it's nice to hear it, and i enjoy driving it, but i certainly don't need people telling me it's nice.
Thats different, I don't have an issue with people saying "nice car" and appreciating the car, I got that with the Lexus too. People make remarks about how rich you are when they comment on the S Class. For instance, his comment wasn't just "Nice S Class", it was "Nice S Class, I guess I better work harder"...the Mercedes draws those kind of personal comments where the Lexus did not. "man, business must be good!" stuff like that. I've had people ask me what I do for a living, etc where they never did with the Lexus.

My business partner had a C Class and he traded it on a GS, and he commented on that too, his C Class got snide comments and all where his GS never did, despite being a lot more expensive.

that too might change. you haven't had your mid life crisis yet
I got no room! lol
Old 09-08-22, 02:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Nowhere near as flashy as a Mercedes.

Wow, really? Where in WV?
Some small town in the middle of nowhere. The main highway into PA was being rebuilt in a section and everyone had to divert around, I got lost since I assumed (wrongly) the signs would be accurate so I ended up about an hour into the state and really low on gas. I'll look it up and get back to you....
Old 09-09-22, 12:19 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

absolutely. because the joke is in the end you really do get what you pay for unless a vendor has a desire to disrupt a market by offering an artificially low price to start. gee where have we seen that. lexus at the start, and genesis at the start. and gee where are we at now. basically the same value/price as anyone else although this g90 is a 4th attempt (equus and g90 gen 1, 2, and now 3) to disrupt the luxury large sedan market. but the prices are obviously climbing. i think the g90 i had (2018-2021) was a bit under $70K which seems like peanuts today! LOVED the car. and sure i knew how my neighbor's s-class was 'better' in a number of ways, for a lot more money, but i didn't want to shell out that much so went with the 'value' g90. .
I wouldn't call the G90 or any Genesis a disruptor, they're merely playing by the same rules of any brand that wants to move itself upmarket. A true disruptor would be Tesla, but we don't need another Tesla discussion here.

Originally Posted by Margate330

It's true.
Any beater car would have your clients judging you in a negative manner, no matter if it's an S-Class or a Corolla. If anything, beater luxury cars get an even worse rep by association with "da hood" and car thefts.
Old 09-09-22, 11:47 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Another review. This is from a guy that owns an LC500:

Old 09-09-22, 12:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats different, I don't have an issue with people saying "nice car" and appreciating the car, I got that with the Lexus too. People make remarks about how rich you are when they comment on the S Class. For instance, his comment wasn't just "Nice S Class", it was "Nice S Class, I guess I better work harder"...the Mercedes draws those kind of personal comments where the Lexus did not. "man, business must be good!" stuff like that. I've had people ask me what I do for a living, etc where they never did with the Lexus.
This 100%. Ages ago, when I had a 2014 C300 4-matic, I had some lady look at me and tell me she hopes I was still putting money in my savings account after buying such a nice car (I looked very young). Meanwhile my equally young-looking friend pulls up in his new $60k Yukon Denali right after me and not a peep out of her. lol

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!