Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agreed. Hyundai screwed this up pretty good. The G90 should be flooded at Hyundai dealers so people can shop them and try them out.
maybe that's why genesis did such a soft launch in the u.s., because they knew supply would be so limited.

4 year wait for a Lexus LX600
so did lexus 'screw up pretty good' too?

the LC500 is the same way right now, almost NO availability.

no, they're probably busier selling lx600's in the middle east, japan, or other places.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Availability of product and availability of the product to be sampled by customers is absolutely a big problem for Genesis.

not much point in having lots of 'sampling' by customers if you can't fulfill orders.

Old 09-22-22, 06:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not much point in having lots of 'sampling' by customers if you can't fulfill orders.
Hence why I said both are a problem

You can't sell cars nobody knows exist and that you can't manufacture.
Old 09-22-22, 09:19 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The G90 being hard to get isn't all that surprising since it's always been a low-volume vehicle, but it's definitely a problem for the GV80 and GV70 which are the bread and butter of the brand. The lack of standalone dealerships has always been Genesis's Achilles heel, but Hyundai and Kia also have issues making large SUV's in sufficient volumes, especially the Telluride and Palisade which were extremely hard to get even before the global supply shortage.

Interestingly I'm seeing G70 sales volume go up higher than they've ever been in the U.S., but they're sinking like a rock in South Korea. Volume re-allocation.
Old 09-22-22, 09:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

maybe that's why genesis did such a soft launch in the u.s., because they knew supply would be so limited.
If Hyundai wanted to make it work...there would be G90s demos in enough dealers so that customers can try them out.....if the product is "that" could then customers would be willing to wait for it. Otherwise, Hyundai messed up
Old 09-22-22, 11:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 363 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's been the luxury market since the pandemic. I tried ordering an Audi S5 cabriolet earlier this year and got the same runaround, although they did let me choose what colors and options I would want in case they got an allocation. They were just going to call me and give me a thumbs up or down on what I chose when they eventually got an allocation.
I wonder if any of this varies by market because in his experience he can currently order an S580, A8, or 7 series with no issue (in Atlanta). G90 is the only car in contention that (in Atlanta) he couldn't even order. A Bentley sedan was the only car other than the G90 that didn't exist on a lot for a test drive.
Old 09-22-22, 11:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If Hyundai wanted to make it work...there would be G90s demos in enough dealers so that customers can try them out....
not much point in having lots of g90 demos for customers to try if you can't fulfill the orders anyway.
Old 09-22-22, 11:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

not much point in having lots of g90 demos for customers to try if you can't fulfill the orders anyway.
This makes no sense whatsoever. People are not going to buy a brand new model if they can’t test drive it. Like I said, if Hyundai wanted to make it work…they build out the G90s so that some/few/many/most dealers have at least one on their demo fleet. That one someone can try it

Go to a Mercedes dealer. Someone will have at least one new S class for the customers to try for the first model year on sale.
Old 09-22-22, 11:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I wonder if any of this varies by market because in his experience he can currently order an S580, A8, or 7 series with no issue (in Atlanta). G90 is the only car in contention that (in Atlanta) he couldn't even order. A Bentley sedan was the only car other than the G90 that didn't exist on a lot for a test drive.
I'm very familiar with the ATL market as I actually buy most of my cars there. My family has a great relationship with a few dealers there. The A8 is unpopular and 7-series is about to be replaced (although they are taking orders for the new model). You would find that the SL, Maybach GLS and G63 4x4 Squared are three other vehicles that some ATL-area dealers will put you on a waitlist but can't actually place an order due to limited/no allocations. Last year AMG E53 Cabriolets were in a similar position. Theoretically the Genesis dealer should've taken a deposit in good faith and told the customer they'll place the order when possible.
Old 09-22-22, 11:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

This makes no sense whatsoever.
you're just arguing for the sake of argument because it's hyundai/kia/genesis.

People are not going to buy a brand new model if they can’t test drive it.
true, and they're also not going to buy it if they can test drive it but then there isn't one available for them to buy.

you seem to refuse to consider the aspect of SHORT SUPPLY, whether due to overall supply constraints or because they've ended up selling most of what they were planning to make elsewhere.
Old 09-22-22, 12:17 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Market right now has shown the plenty of buyers are willing to put down deposits for vehicles sight unseen and without drives. I'd wager that G90 demand outstrips supply, as crazy as that seems, that's the state of the industry right now.
Old 09-22-22, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

you're just arguing for the ou seem to refuse to consider the aspect of SHORT SUPPLY, whether due to overall supply constraints or because they've ended up selling most of what they were planning to make elsewhere

true, and they're also not going to buy it if they can test drive it but then there isn't one available for them to buy.
y.
The Hyundai dealer I walked by the other day has a Ionic 5 demo. The Toyota next to it has a Tundra Limited demo. The Honda dealer has a HR-V demo. You can tell they are driven by someone at the dealer. BMW also has the new EV or whatever it’s called. The Lexus dealer nearby does NOT have demo model of the LX600 to drive. Perhaps there is a long waiting list for the G90 or perhaps not. But if Hyundai wants to make it work as a conquest vehicle, they kinda need to have something for the dealers to showcase to someone who might want to buy a G90 but can’t pull the trigger. . I doubt Toyota will have many Sequoias to test drive when the new model shows up. And too bad Toyota doesn’t have a bZRX to try, but I kinda don’t like it anyways

This guy did a test drive. So there must be demos out there

Just did a search.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Doug finally got his hands on one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJC2cx4LizY

Win one for the superior Lexus LS500h

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-22-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-22-22, 03:09 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Just did a search.

Win one for the superior Lexus LS500h
Listings don't equate to actual availability. And if you actually watched the video, you would know he put the LS above the G90 solely because of the badge.

Ironic that he doesn't consider it a value like you keep insisting it is.

This guy did a test drive. So there must be demos out there
Re-read the post, he lives in the Midde East.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-22-22 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-22-22, 05:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Family member that was super interested in the 2023 G90 was just told by Genesis dealer in Atlanta that he couldn't place an order for one. They have no visibility to when they will get "allocation" -- even for someone looking to place an order and willing to wait a few months for it to arrive I guess it has to get allocated to that dealer. They couldn't commit to any type of color options, trim, or anything. It basically sounds like you just have to wait until they start showing up and take what you can find at a dealer. What a bizarre experience. He's moving on; a real shame because I do believe the new G90 would have been the best car for him and I was really looking forward to driving it.
Have you looked on Autotrader? There are definitely new G90s available to buy. Any reputable Hyundai dealer should be able to get this for you.

Old 09-22-22, 08:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

LexsCTJill - congrats on finding some g90's in golden colorado. in orlando there appears to be 0.

https://www.genesisoforlando.com/new...Type=our_price

so it's hit or miss.

and there is no objective way an ls500h has a better 'score' than a new g90.

and doug didn't even get the model year right for the g90,

he's a brand snob, that's his perogative.
​​​​​​​
Old 09-22-22, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and on autotrader, there's 6 listings within 200 mi. of me, and no guarantee any of those are actually available vs just on a boat or in some dealer's mind.and if expand nationwide (u.s.), only 63 listings.

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!