Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 03:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I haven't seen any in person, maybe it's different. Lots of cars are like that.
Old 12-08-21, 04:56 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The actual wheelbases of the LWB E-Class and Panamera are less than an inch apart. They are very, very comparable size-wise. And the width of the Panamera comes not from the cabin but from the bulging haunches, a LWB Panamera is in no way comparable to anything in the category of the S-Class when it comes to cabin space.
And the W222 S-class was within 2 inches of wheelbase while the Panamera exec is longer than the S-class. Why do you suppose Mercedes has kept the E-class LWB to select markets while the Panamera Executive is available globally? Here in the U.S. no one was sweating trying to figure out whether they should get an extended wheelbase Panamera or an E63. Porsche saw the data, those that were wanting more rear seat room were walking themselves over to the AMG dealer or similar. They wouldn't have brought it over here if there was no customers to be lost in this market, period. And truly, if you want to play the variant game then its fair to the say the standard Panamera isn't very far off the SWB versions of the S-class available in other markets.

We don't even need to get into price which far exceeds that of an equivalent E-class no matter the market.
Old 12-08-21, 05:09 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
And the W222 S-class was within 2 inches of wheelbase while the Panamera exec is longer than the S-class.
I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers but the W222 LWB S-Class is longer than the Panamera Exec in every way. 125 inch wheelbase vs 122 on the Panamera, 207 inches long vs the 205 inch Panamera. Even a SWB S-Class is 203 inches long with a 120 inch wheelbase- an extended wheelbase Panamera is only barely longer than a SWB S-Class, which isn't even sold anymore and in absolutely no way comparable to a much longer G90.

Porsche marketing wants to compare an S-Class to a Panamera because they don't actually have an actual S-Class competitor but still want the *prestige* of an S-Class rival. And Mercedes themselves sure as heck doesn't consider the S-Class to be a Panamera competitor, otherwise they wouldn't have built the AMG GT 4-Door. The Panamera sits in the category as the aforementioned AMG GT and the BMW 8 Gran Coupe. Nobody, not even their competitors, considers the Panamera an S-Class rival regardless of what Porsche claims.

The exception to this rule is the LS500, which tried to be a middle ground between an S-Class and Panamera and as a result had an extremely compromised cabin space relative to its rivals. That's why some people here go as far as to call that car a "larger GS."

And truly, if you want to play the variant game then its fair to the say the standard Panamera isn't very far off the SWB versions of the S-class available in other markets.
If I wanted to play the variant game I would have brought up the Maybach lol

Last edited by Motorola; 12-08-21 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-08-21, 08:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Astonishing that the E class and the Panamera are being compared or referred to as competitors.
Old 12-09-21, 07:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers but the W222 LWB S-Class is longer than the Panamera Exec in every way. 125 inch wheelbase vs 122 on the Panamera, 207 inches long vs the 205 inch Panamera. Even a SWB S-Class is 203 inches long with a 120 inch wheelbase- an extended wheelbase Panamera is only barely longer than a SWB S-Class, which isn't even sold anymore and in absolutely no way comparable to a much longer G90.

Porsche marketing wants to compare an S-Class to a Panamera because they don't actually have an actual S-Class competitor but still want the *prestige* of an S-Class rival. And Mercedes themselves sure as heck doesn't consider the S-Class to be a Panamera competitor, otherwise they wouldn't have built the AMG GT 4-Door. The Panamera sits in the category as the aforementioned AMG GT and the BMW 8 Gran Coupe. Nobody, not even their competitors, considers the Panamera an S-Class rival regardless of what Porsche claims.

The exception to this rule is the LS500, which tried to be a middle ground between an S-Class and Panamera and as a result had an extremely compromised cabin space relative to its rivals. That's why some people here go as far as to call that car a "larger GS."

If I wanted to play the variant game I would have brought up the Maybach lol
Fair, I did transpose some length numbers I was looking at. The SWB S-class is absolutely available btw. as you can see below:

Mercedes created the AMG GT 4-Door in response to the short wheelbase Panamera, yes they [obviously] have the AMG S63 to go against the Panamera executive. They plugged their hole just as Porsche plugged theirs. They're all occupying the same price bracket so it doesn't matter if it's not a direct competitor in the vein of the 7-series, A8, XJ. The whole point is Porsche saw they were losing sales to other large sedans in its price bracket and acted accordingly. It's amazing you find this to be so preposterous and even bothered bringing up the E-class, when the Panamera Executive can be as much as $100k more expensive.

And sure, bring up the Maybach. What's your point? I brought up the S-class SWB as it aligns nicely with the Panamera in relative size and price. The Maybach strives to steal sales from a completely different competitive set than even the normal S-class.
Old 12-09-21, 10:49 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The SWB S-class is absolutely available btw. as you can see below:
I'm talking about the US market- we no longer get the SWB S-Class or any other executive flagship sedan in SWB form. And even the "SWB" W223 is the same length as the Panamera long wheelbase Executive. It's preposterous to even consider them competitors outside of any metric but price.

It's amazing you find this to be so preposterous and even bothered bringing up the E-class, when the Panamera Executive can be as much as $100k more expensive.
I bring up the E-Class because it's the same size as a Panamera, and the fact that it's one of the many, many executive sedans like the Panamera that has a LWB variant. Nobody will ever consider a LWB E-Class to be an S-Class competitor just like how nobody would ever consider any Panamera to be an S-Class competitor other than Porsche themselves. The E-Class isn't a Panamera competitor because they're aimed at entirely different audiences, but they both sit firmly in the category of mid-size executive sedans. Even the AMG GT 4-Door is just an E-Class with a different body shell lol.

And sure, bring up the Maybach. What's your point? I brought up the S-class SWB as it aligns nicely with the Panamera in relative size and price. The Maybach strives to steal sales from a completely different competitive set than even the normal S-class.
Nope, the Maybach is still an S-Class. Same with the A8 Horch still being an A8, or the G90L still be a G90. It takes the longest wheelbase variant of the Panamera to even come close to the same size as the shortest wheelbase versions of any of these vehicles, and these vehicles reach the lengths of American land yachts of yore in their longest form.

Ask yourself, what does a Panamera have in common with an S-Class? It has more in common with a Tesla Model S lol
Old 12-09-21, 12:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I'm talking about the US market- we no longer get the SWB S-Class or any other executive flagship sedan in SWB form. And even the "SWB" W223 is the same length as the Panamera long wheelbase Executive. It's preposterous to even consider them competitors outside of any metric but price.
I acknowledged the SWB's availability in my post - hence me saying "in other markets". We can disagree, but it's quite funny to think two extended wheelbase sedans in the same price point wouldn't be cross shopped. Anecdotally, this is particularly funny to me since I've watched my own grandfather do this exact move from an AMG S65 to a Panamera Turbo exec back in 2015. I guess consumers just walk around in blinders in your world and manufacturers just happen to offer models purely by chance in certain markets.

I bring up the E-Class because it's the same size as a Panamera, and the fact that it's one of the many, many executive sedans like the Panamera that has a LWB variant. Nobody will ever consider a LWB E-Class to be an S-Class competitor just like how nobody would ever consider any Panamera to be an S-Class competitor other than Porsche themselves. The E-Class isn't a Panamera competitor because they're aimed at entirely different audiences, but they both sit firmly in the category of mid-size executive sedans. Even the AMG GT 4-Door is just an E-Class with a different body shell lol.
This is precisely why I wish manufacturers would release consumer data, because this is humorous. If you don't think Porsche's particularly male clientele didn't look at a Panamera Turbo Executive as an alternative to their AMG S63 I'll let you be. Sales teams don't work in a vacuum and are aware certain trims attract certain buyers. Hell, just go on the Panamera Rennlist forum and search "S63" or "S-class" and see how many people listed one as their previous vehicle.

Nope, the Maybach is still an S-Class. Same with the A8 Horch still being an A8, or the G90L still be a G90. It takes the longest wheelbase variant of the Panamera to even come close to the same size as the shortest wheelbase versions of any of these vehicles, and these vehicles reach the lengths of American land yachts of yore in their longest form.

Ask yourself, what does a Panamera have in common with an S-Class? It has more in common with a Tesla Model S lol
I didn't deny the Maybach is an S-class at all. That's not mutually exclusive with that trim having different set of target customers, hence the availability of two-tone paint and added chrome everywhere. They know exactly who they're targeting with these vehicles and it's not the same person as the S560 buyer who was also considering a 750i.

Speaking of the Model S, a Mercedes rep recently admitted in CAR magazine that they lost some usually-loyal S-class buyers to the Model S which is why the EQS is so important. Again, people don't shop in a vacuum and they'll gladly plop down $100k+ on a similar body type vehicle if it exists within the same realm and offers something more intriguing. A car doesn't have to be a direct competitor to steal sales, which is was my entire point.

Last edited by TangoRed; 12-09-21 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-09-21, 01:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Let’s get back to the g90 topic please
Old 12-10-21, 06:01 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Some rolling footage:

Old 12-10-21, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

even though it says disabled, clicking "watch on youtube" does work and i have to say the new g90 looks GREAT! worth a watch all.
Old 12-10-21, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Agreed, looks great!
Old 12-13-21, 07:05 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly unrelated. This picture recently surfaced of a widebody performance (pre-facelift) G70 that Hyundai was testing as a potential M3/C63 Competition and supposedly is cancelled to focus efforts on EVs.

Wonder if whatever powered this, be it a PHEV-V6 or some other will be added to the G90 as an optional high-performance model since it only comes with the 3.5 V6 right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 12-13-21, 07:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Interior pics revealed

View this post on Instagram

Edit: noticed no pics added, plus additional source. https://www.motor1.com/news/554289/2...nterior-specs/

After publishing exterior images of the all-new G90 in late November, Genesis is back with the remaining pieces of the puzzle by showing the posh cabin while talking about the technical specifications. We'll cut to the chase and hop inside the Long Wheelbase derivative with its spacious rear compartment ideal for VIP passengers. Even if you're tall, there's enough room in the back to stretch your legs while the driver does all the work.

As you would expect from a stretched luxury sedan, there's quilted leather just about everywhere you look. Elsewhere, real metal and wood are combined with forged carbon surfaces to give the G90 a fancy atmosphere from the moment you step inside. For the same effect, the ambient LED lighting has been discreetly integrated into the door cards.

Depending on the seat mode, the 10.2-inch rear touchscreens of the entertainment system automatically adjust for the best viewing angle. Should you want more screens, there's an eight-inch tablet hosted within the UV light-sterilized armrest box separating the rear seats to control everything from the lighting and climate settings to the massaging seats and the position of the curtains. The interior has been coated in antibacterial Silver Zinc Zeolite material to diminish the probability of bacteria and microorganisms growing on the artificial leather.

Aside from an air purifier, the revamped G90 is the first Genesis model to come with a built-in fragrance to mirror its German rivals. In case you're curious, it disperses three scents that have some rather interesting names: The Driver's Awakening, The Great Outdoors, and My Favorite Place.

In addition, the four-mode Mood Curator also makes its debut on Hyundai's premium brand and changes various settings: sound system (23-speaker Bang & Olufsen), mood lamps, massage seats, fragrance, and the electric curtains – all for the purpose of "lifting passengers' moods."

Called "ergo-relaxing" seats, these have 10 air cells on the seatback and another two on the cushion, providing four types of body massage and the ability to modify the duration and intensity. Interestingly, the side bolsters automatically inflate at speeds over 81 mph (130 km/h) or when you're in Sport mode for greater lateral support. They do the exact opposite whenever you enter or exit the cabin.

As previously reported, the naturally aspirated V8 is gone. However, the silver lining is the 2023 Genesis G90 will use an evolution of the familiar twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 by featuring an electric supercharger. Known as the e-S/C, it delivers the maximum torque quicker than the regular engine by supercharging compressed air, enabling better acceleration off the line and at medium speeds as well.

It's only available on the Long Wheelbase model, which comes exclusively in AWD flavor. Genesis has yet to release output figures for this powertrain, indirectly suggesting it will deliver extra oomph compared to the standard V6.

Initially going on sale in South Korea next year, the overhauled G90 will be gradually introduced in other markets, including in the United States where it should arrive for the 2023 model year.

Last edited by GFerg; 12-13-21 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-13-21, 08:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

interiors cool. nothing we havent seen elsewhere honestly. engine option with the electric supercharger sounds awesome! Its a deceptively strong engine to begin with (not BMW strong, but definitely better than other competitors in my experience). Im sure there will be an EV option at some point too.
Old 12-13-21, 08:22 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

There's a lot to digest but the big news is that new mild hybrid V6 in the long wheelbase version with the electric supercharger- that will be the replacement for the V8. It's basically analogous to the S500's EQ Boost I6. On the Korean spec model it's only available on the LWB version but I have little doubt that will be the standard engine on North American models.

EDIT: The G90 is up on Genesis's website with its own configurator. Oddly enough the 21-inch alloys in all the spyshots aren't shown anywhere yet even in the configurator, which leads me to believe that they're reserved for the standard wheelbase version equipped with the supercharged mild hybrid TTV6, since "big wheels = more performance."

Last edited by Motorola; 12-13-21 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 2023 Genesis G90 Revealed!!