Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Shimamoku Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-21 | 05:57 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't actually owned a car with a wood wheel, but I've seen it happen on some that do. I've also had small (not really serious) marks left in the leather-steering wheels I've owned. I chalk up at least some of it to impatience and carelessness by Technicians.....they often get paid by how many vehicles they can work on in any set amount of time (or have to abide by set clock-times in the Vehicle Service-Manuals for any given job), so, naturally, they try to rush things instead of being careful.
I’ve never had a tech gouge my wheel. I have to worry more about my wife and her rings scratching the wheel than a tech and she has done it before.

As for wood steering wheels I love them in luxury cars, they feel so nice and solid and don’t age like leather steering wheels where they get somewhat shiny over time with the oils for your hands. I would have loved for my X7 to have a wood steering wheel.
Old 11-30-21 | 07:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Ebony? I have several planks of the stuff made a few small items it is nearly impossible to work with.

Exotic wood is incredible, I own some speaker cabinets made from rosewood they are stunning. I feel a bit guilty though even though they were made decades ago it still meant cutting down very old trees. Lexus is using thin laminate but still it means cutting down old growth. Much as I love the craftsmanship and materials the practice is not sustainable and really should stop. There are exceptions, bamboo looks great and grows like a weed this is a sustainable product.
African Zebra wood, my speakers are Von Schweikert vr5s. They sound exceptional, I have them vertically amped on four MC501s and an audio research preamp. Utter overkill sure......but man does it put you in a trance
Old 11-30-21 | 07:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
African Zebra wood, my speakers are Von Schweikert vr5s. They sound exceptional, I have them vertically amped on four MC501s and an audio research preamp. Utter overkill sure......but man does it put you in a trance
So you're the one responsible for brown outs. No such thing as too much amp, those speakers are absolutely beautiful don't think zebra wood is banned just rare and expensive. Lexus won't be using it any time soon.
Old 11-30-21 | 08:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
So you're the one responsible for brown outs. No such thing as too much amp, those speakers are absolutely beautiful don't think zebra wood is banned just rare and expensive. Lexus won't be using it any time soon.
Thank you! They are very enjoyable and absolutely were worth it.

Yeah they do take a decent amount of power.....they have their own sub panel and power conditioner and may or may not nearly max out a 30 amp line lol!

I actually didn't know the wood was still legal but expensive, I did want to have some custom 1911 grips and knife panels made but thought I simply couldn't get it anymore. Good to know I may have a way to do it, thanks!

It would be awesome if Lexus allowed us to pick exotic wood like Bentley/Rolls does if you max out a LS or LC. The possibility would be endless
Old 12-01-21 | 01:41 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I actually love a heated wood/leather wheel. Lexus doesn’t heat the wood parts, but everybody else does.
maybe was an engineering decision. Constant heat from the inside might cause expansion and cracks.
Old 12-01-21 | 01:49 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
Never was a fan of wood steering wheels because (1) I hate gloss wood and (2) they aren't the most sensible for having a heated steering wheel.

In recent years wood has pretty much vanished from most steering wheels baring a handful of small accents.
Yes, it’s not appreciated in everyday cars so Lexus might as well save some money.

However Lexus still thinks it’s a signature to
differentiate their higher spec cars :

Old 12-01-21 | 04:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Wood wheels, in general, look nice, but can be hard to grip.
not hard to grip at all. the heavy gloss / lacquer finish is very grippy.

however, i can't stand wood on steering wheels. it's not soft. it's cold if the wheel can't heat it. i can't stand the transition from wood to leather if it has both. But yes, it does look nice, but old school.

Old 12-01-21 | 05:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Arguably so. I've seen some other vehicles that also had superb wood wheels. Wood wheels, in general, look nice, but can be hard to grip. That's why most of them are not completely wood, but have a large part of the rim covered in leather instead, which is much easier to grip, especially if your hands or gloves are a little damp or wet.
The wheel in my LS430 is in perfect condition. The steering wheel size is wayyyyyyy dated and large but the wood is gorgeous, still shines like only Lexus wood did back in those days. No cracks no nothing, garage kept.

LX has a nice, more modern and very thick wheel. I like that a lot but the wood isn't as nice. Not a lot of cars had wood better than an LS430 to be fair.
Old 12-01-21 | 06:45 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

I always love how the interior of SC430 wood looks...i think it's birds eye maple or walnut 🥰
Old 12-01-21 | 06:48 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Diemellz
I always love how the interior of SC430 wood looks...i think it's birds eye maple or walnut 🥰
Yep, that was also early 2000s era.

Even the ES had a pretty much stunning interior then.

The wood in my LS430 still glows. It's way better than the wood in the LX. Not even close. And LX quality wood is great, it's just the LS430 had just that nice of wood.
Old 12-01-21 | 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't actually owned a car with a wood wheel, but I've seen it happen on some that do. I've also had small (not really serious) marks left in the leather-steering wheels I've owned. I chalk up at least some of it to impatience and carelessness by Technicians.....they often get paid by how many vehicles they can work on in any set amount of time (or have to abide by set clock-times in the Vehicle Service-Manuals for any given job), so, naturally, they try to rush things instead of being careful.
Its just a non issue.

Arguably so. I've seen some other vehicles that also had superb wood wheels. Wood wheels, in general, look nice, but can be hard to grip. That's why most of them are not completely wood, but have a large part of the rim covered in leather instead, which is much easier to grip, especially if your hands or gloves are a little damp or wet.
No issue gripping the wood portion of the wheel.
Old 12-01-21 | 07:23 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Its just a non issue.

Does your S-Class have it? Or is it more sporty?
Old 12-01-21 | 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Does your S-Class have it? Or is it more sporty?
No it has it. Its an option but most of them have it. There acrually was one at one dealer that was magnetite black and RWD which I liked, but I passed on it specifically because it didnt have the wood/leather wheel.

Old 12-01-21 | 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Of course not when dry, but have you tried it in damp or wet conditions?
Old 12-01-21 | 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It might (?) just be the light-angle reflection, but in that view, to me, seems like one is looking more at a clear covering on the wheel-rim than actual wood underneath it.

Also, though there isn't enough detail in the photo through the windshield for a precise ID, in general, that looks like the split-divide stretch of 270 north of Clarksburg, although that stretch usually has more traffic on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-21 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Shimamoku Steering Wheel