Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus NX Hands-On First Look (ClubLexus Exclusive)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-21, 04:06 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2022 Lexus NX Hands-On First Look (ClubLexus Exclusive)

Hey, folks! Palmer here from the front page editorial team. I just spent the week testing out a 2022 Lexus NX 350h prototype and here's my first-look review with full video -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/2...nx-first-look/

Unfortunately, all of the F Sport Handling models were on display at the LA Auto Show, and the 450h+ Luxury model I was supposed to review was in an "incident" the weekend before it was my time. Still, this 350h Luxury gives us a pretty good look at the new big-screen Lexus Interface and the new gauge cluster. (FYI, I added an in-depth tour of the Lexus Interface in the video... it's not very exciting, hahaha, but figured some folks might be interested in a deep dive. Or not.)

Planning to order a new NX? Let us know about your dream spec below!!!
Old 12-02-21, 04:45 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

It's a Venza, right?
Old 12-02-21, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
It's a Venza, right?

...........and nothing wrong with that if it is. I did a full review on a 2Gen Venza...superb product, more worthy of the Lexus name than Toyota, IMO. The Venza is what the 1Gen NX should have been, and wasn't......it was, IMO, a disappointment, and cheaply-done.
Old 12-02-21, 05:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Fantastic review MPalmer

The one thing I don’t understand is why the 350h is called the 350h, when it’s clearly a hybrid version of the NX 250 engine and the standard NX 350 is actually faster. But what do I know? (Not much.)
I think the 350 or 350h is like that because it’s an either/or proposition. Basically the same price but partially two different feeling drives.
Old 12-16-21, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When I reviewed the last NX, I was criticized in Car Chat for panning its un-Lexus refinement and road-manners, and for stating that I hope the next NX will do better. Looks like my opinion wasn't alone......cars.com came up with the same conclusion.

https://www.cars.com/articles/redesi...e-dont-443784/

Originally Posted by article
Lexus just redesigned its NX luxury compact SUV for 2022, and that was a very good move. The outgoing first-generation NX finished dead last in our most recent comparison of luxury compact SUVs, plagued by some decidedly un-Lexus-like qualities in terms of refinement, controls, ride and handling. The new NX goes a long way toward addressing those issues and is much improved all around.
Old 12-17-21, 07:10 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When I reviewed the last NX, I was criticized in Car Chat for panning its un-Lexus refinement and road-manners, and for stating that I hope the next NX will do better. Looks like my opinion wasn't alone......cars.com came up with the same conclusion.

https://www.cars.com/articles/redesi...e-dont-443784/
I felt the same. My local dealer just loved giving me NX loaners and I absolutely hated them. Interior alone on the 22 is a huge step up.
Old 12-18-21, 04:14 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Haven't read Mpalmer's review of the NX yet and no offence to him but he's clearly not a Lexus guy and is obviously just saddled with the task of reviewing Lexus cars by the organization.

It's like asking a V8 aficionado to be regular reviewer of Teslas/EVs on a Tesla forum.

It's a paycheck gig to him and I'm sure he's professional but has CL fallen so low that we couldn't get an actual Lexus aficionado to do the regular reviews?
Old 12-18-21, 04:30 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I would rather have an unbiased review and comparison to competition than any ‘homer’ praising anything Lexus.

If the NX is better great, tell us why they are in comparison to the competition. If Lexus falls short, then call them out on it.

Either way, there are a lot of great vehicles out there today. Well, that is if you can actually find one on a dealer lot. 👎👎

Old 12-18-21, 09:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,728 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I would rather have an unbiased review and comparison to competition than any ‘homer’ praising anything Lexus.

If the NX is better great, tell us why they are in comparison to the competition. If Lexus falls short, then call them out on it.
If you are suggesting Mr. Palmer is a "homer" (?), I don't get it. I think his review was great for two reasons. For one, he was very honest about the car. He was critical of the body control of the NX, saying even for a non-F-Sport, it was too floaty. Second, he did a very detailed tour, showing us basically every detail. If you don't agree with him, well at least he showed us everything in detail so that we can make our own judgments. I personally enjoyed the review.

Like I have speculated, it seems Lexus have made the NX a little too soft for this generation, causing it to fall behind rivals in the handling and "fun" department. Though, I have seen a bit more praise for the F Sport models, especially the top-tier 450h+ and the 350 F Sport. Though I don't think the former NX really felt like a Lexus in terms of its cabin isolation and ride quality, that was probably down to its underpinnings, not the tuning of the vehicle. Now that it has the far better TNGA platform, which, in my experience, has massively improved vehicles like the Camry and the ES, it doesn't need to rely on overly-soft springs and dampers to give a refined ride. The chassis could've just let the suspension do its thing. Alas, this still seems like a big improvement over the last-gen model in basically every way. I really dig the new infotainment - it still feels like it belongs in a Lexus, but this time, in a good way!
Old 12-18-21, 10:39 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
If you are suggesting Mr. Palmer is a "homer" (?), I don't get it. I think his review was great for two reasons. For one, he was very honest about the car. He was critical of the body control of the NX, saying even for a non-F-Sport, it was too floaty. Second, he did a very detailed tour, showing us basically every detail. If you don't agree with him, well at least he showed us everything in detail so that we can make our own judgments. I personally enjoyed the review.

Like I have speculated, it seems Lexus have made the NX a little too soft for this generation, causing it to fall behind rivals in the handling and "fun" department. Though, I have seen a bit more praise for the F Sport models, especially the top-tier 450h+ and the 350 F Sport. Though I don't think the former NX really felt like a Lexus in terms of its cabin isolation and ride quality, that was probably down to its underpinnings, not the tuning of the vehicle. Now that it has the far better TNGA platform, which, in my experience, has massively improved vehicles like the Camry and the ES, it doesn't need to rely on overly-soft springs and dampers to give a refined ride. The chassis could've just let the suspension do its thing. Alas, this still seems like a big improvement over the last-gen model in basically every way. I really dig the new infotainment - it still feels like it belongs in a Lexus, but this time, in a good way!
No, I have no issues with this author, just a generalization that reviews need to be unbiased. Furthermore, most shoppers should do their own homework and make their own decisions. The day I purchase a vehicle solely because someone said it was the best, is the day I should retire.

I take all reviews with a grain of salt and am more than capable of deciding how I like the vehicle compared to others I may be cross-shopping.

I do enjoy reading about recalls, issues and other stuff that may be pertinent to the dependability of the vehicle.

What I really like is a current prices paid section in a forum, where consumers can post what they bought, where they bought it and how much they paid. Generally there is a lot of honesty, but occasionally someone got a deal of the century that is just too good to be true.
Old 12-18-21, 10:42 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

The new NX is not as refined as the ES. It has already been called out.
Old 12-18-21, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, I have no issues with this author, just a generalization that reviews need to be unbiased..
How is it possible to make an unbiased review?
Old 12-18-21, 02:26 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How is it possible to make an unbiased review?
Thats my point, I do not read reviews. IMO, they are almost worthless. Basically someone’s opinion and you know what they say about opinions. 😎 Not to mention those ‘reviews’ where there may be a kickback from the manufacturer.

Old 12-18-21, 02:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thats my point, I do not read reviews. IMO, they are almost worthless. Basically someone’s opinion and you know what they say about opinions. 😎 Not to mention those ‘reviews’ where there may be a kickback from the manufacturer.
I don’t think reviews are worthless. They have their place along with all other sources of information. I always like to look for what existing owners say that what the negatives are for a particular model or product are. But I do agree with some of the stuff that you claim. Bias really is everywhere. These new blog sites are terrible IMO and the You Tube review sites are some of the worst things ever created from a biased perspective…but some are so entertaining. For me, I’m waiting for Toyota to ruin the next gen 4R by using smaller engines, start stop, endless transmission gears, no more full 4wd and worst of all, they will probably move production to the states or Mexico. Not to mention a big price increase that will come along with it. . But the NX, to me it looks like Lexus has made a tremendous product with their new NX. IMO of course

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-18-21 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-18-21, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
and the You Tube review sites are some of the worst things ever created from a biased perspective…but some are so entertaining.

Youtube vehicle-reviews vary tremendously in quality and thoroughness....from some of the best (Alex Dykes) to some of the worst (Scotty Kilmer)

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus NX Hands-On First Look (ClubLexus Exclusive)