Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Different shifting designs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-21 | 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Vast majority of those look dreadful. The stalk shifter is okay at least doesn't take up much room did Tesla steal their design from Mercedes? Or is that a parts bin Mercedes part.
Tesla actually used Mercedes switchgear for a long time
Old 12-02-21 | 10:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Tesla actually used Mercedes switchgear for a long time
I know but my memory is fuzzy, thought it was the turn signal stalk maybe also the shift stalk.
Old 12-02-21 | 11:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Well for example:

Stuck in downtown Brooklyn yesterday at night, traffic not moving.
Needed to make U-turn to go another route.

Also yesterday, looking for parking at meter. Saw one open up on the other side, quick U turn. This was Atlantic Ave next to Barclays Center so you NEED to be quick!!

I don’t take my eyes off the road which i would have to do if it was a button.

This also applies to parallel parking on busy streets- you have to be quick and never want to take your eyes off side mirrors.
I get it sometimes you've gotta just do it. But that's still on you.
Old 12-02-21 | 11:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm in the minority - I have a BMW with the joystick style shifter, and I love it. I'd rather not have buttons, but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a car I want.
Same here. Both of our cars have the BMW joystick shifter and both my wife and I have adjusted to them. Not a big deal. I'm sure we'd adjust to button shifters if they were on a vehicle that we liked enough to buy. Some of them seem better than others but the operation is similar.
Old 12-02-21 | 11:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Still my favorite...

Old 12-02-21 | 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Still my favorite...
.......Even in this?

Old 12-02-21 | 12:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.......Even in this?
Yes, even in traffic. I dearly miss having manual transmission vehicles. It's all I owned for over 20 years.
Old 12-02-21 | 12:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

One reason I keep sticking with Lexus/Toyota is their shifters. For the most part they are sticking to tradition (and also still offering manual control). In an emergency, it's the quickest way to make a shift without having to locate, look, or think. I think it should all be about safety, which has been greatly eroded with the advent of infotainment systems and all the funky new shifters.

Old 12-02-21 | 12:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Still my favorite...

[image]
Heresy, reverse should always be on the right side! But otherwise yes this is the way.
Old 12-02-21 | 12:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One reason I keep sticking with Lexus/Toyota is their shifters. For the most part they are sticking to tradition (and also still offering manual control). In an emergency, it's the quickest way to make a shift without having to locate, look, or think. I think it should all be about safety, which has been greatly eroded with the advent of infotainment systems and all the funky new shifters.
I never need to look at my non-traditional joystick-style shifter. Shifters can be different and still be just as safe and easy to use; just like anything else, there are good, average and bad designs.
Old 12-02-21 | 01:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Heresy, reverse should always be on the right side! But otherwise yes this is the way.
I've had them both ways - reverse on bottom right and on top left. I can't honestly say it made much of a difference to me.
Old 12-04-21 | 02:58 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

My first time exposed to anything other than a normal shifter was our 2006 ML 350. It was a stalk. I never liked it but my wife didn’t mind. I was always reaching for a place to rest my hand. For me it just feels good to hold onto a conventional shifter. When I picked my 2019 Santa Fe this was one of the deciding features. It’s old school and the manual use is forward for upshift and down for downshift unlike the ridiculous opposite movements in the Grand Cherokee. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to pull downward to shift up and push forward to shift down. I never got used to that. So now our Grand Cherokee L (GCL) has the rotary button I’m trying to get used to. The new Santa Fe’s are rotary now also. Even with the new beefed up 2.5T engine I’m not going to give up my conventional shifter for it.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 12-04-21 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-04-21 | 04:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

remember any modern transmission is fully electronic controlled. You aren't moving a mechanical linkage, you are manipulating electrical contacts to control the transmission and its computer. There is no difference if they were buttons instead. Shifters arent any more "mechanical" in terms of controlling the transmission so dont kid yourselves. Going to a rotary/button shifter is a big space saver for the center console and a rotary shifter mounted in the dash area between the gauge and steering column occupies what otherwise wouldve been useless space. I can kind of see a joystick shifter for sporty cars, but other than that, its a waste of space. You can clearly see how much of a space hog it is in these pictures. Really great consolidation of many shifter designs.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 12-04-21 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-04-21 | 05:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
It’s old school and the manual use is forward for upshift and down for downshift unlike the ridiculous opposite movements in the Grand Cherokee. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to pull downward to shift up and push forward to shift down.
[raises hand] Me and almost everybody who drives spiritedly. The "back for upshift, forward for downshift" comes straight out of motorsports. When you're hard on the throttle and the torque is pressing you into the seat, it's completely unnatural to lean/move forward to grab the next gear. Likewise when you're threshold braking coming up to a corner, pulling the shifter behind you to continue slowing down is equally unintuitive.

ALL motorcycles work the exact same way, since the beginning of time, for the same reason. Press down to upshift, pull up to downshift.

The "forward to upshift, back to downshift" is a compromise design for people who want to pretend they know how to drive. Even Hyundai isn't consistent across the line. So while your Santa Fe does it the wrong way (IMO), their driver-focused cars like the Veloster N and Elantra N do it the right way--just like BMW, Porsche, Dodge, etc.

Last edited by geko29; 12-04-21 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-04-21 | 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
My first time exposed to anything other than a normal shifter was our 2006 ML 350. It was a stalk. I never liked it but my wife didn’t mind. I was always reaching for a place to rest my hand. For me it just feels good to hold onto a conventional shifter.
I agree. The stalk on my S560 works fine, but I miss being able to rest my arm on a gearshift...

My other issue is the wiper stalk on the Pacifica is where the shifter stalk is on my S560, so when I drive the Pacifica I instinctively try and shift the wiper stalk...

Quick Reply: Different shifting designs