Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura to Skip Hybrids & Go Straight to EVs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The LS500h was not made for the US. Made for worldwide regions. Gas is very expensive in some parts of the world and the LS500h makes sense and sell very well.
Why dont you show us those sales figures for the LS500h in other markets.
Old 12-08-21, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
When it comes to sales numbers, some good cars simply don’t sell (RLX, LS500h, Kia Cadenza, K900, Genesis - just to name a few), yet some mediocre cars sell well 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
Those vehicles you named are generally large sedans by today's standards. They are comfortable to drive, and make good highway cruisers, but the needs and driving-conditions of more and more people simply aren't suited much to that type of vehicle anymore. I was a staunch sedan-believer myself for decades, but the added versatility of SUVs is undeniable.....particularly with the smaller, more maneuverable ones. Even sedan-people like Steve and his S560 often also have a minivan, truck, or SUV in the family for other needs.
Old 12-08-21, 07:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those vehicles you named are generally large sedans by today's standards. They are comfortable to drive, and make good highway cruisers, but the needs and driving-conditions of more and more people simply aren't suited much to that type of vehicle anymore. I was a staunch sedan-believer myself for decades, but the added versatility of SUVs is undeniable.....particularly with the smaller, more maneuverable ones. Even sedan-people like Steve and his S560 often also have a minivan, truck, or SUV in the family for other needs.
Strange how that works now. Glad you like the added versatility. I think crossovers make sense for a lot of people. At the same time I think large size sedans can look very passé when it comes to branding
Old 12-08-21, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Yeah I would never have a two sedan household. Have to have some sort of utility vehicle in the household.
Old 12-08-21, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Strange how that works now. Glad you like the added versatility. I think crossovers make sense for a lot of people. At the same time I think large size sedans can look very passé when it comes to branding

In my case, it wasn't just an issue of versatility. I needed something smaller and maneuverable, for tight spaces. A new 4Runner like yours probably wouldn't have cut it for me....too big. The Encore GX is just about perfect....and my 1-year ownership-review of it will be coming up early next month.

Seems like the next craze, though, is not necessarily going to be crossovers, but more rugged off-roaders like the Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, and, yes, maybe 4-Runners.
Old 12-08-21, 11:09 AM
evident
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Did the RLX hybrid sell well?
I think Acura/Honda botched the release of the RLX by releasing the FWD only RLX at launch and not releasing the SH-SHAWD Hybrid RLX until a year or so later.

I just purchased a 2017 MDX Hybrid and the system works amazing. I drive purely city miles dropping the kids to/from daycare and i get 25MPG. This car is light years better than an RX hybrid and way more fun to drive. Fit and finish might be better in the RX but not by much, and it's a perfect family vehicle so far. They probably could have gotten away with calling it a Type-S but I think they just didn't market the car correctly. even then, I think the mdx hybrids did sell pretty well.