Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lower vehicle prices may (?) require life-style changes from consumers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Car prices will continue to climb as long as there are buyers. But as i laid out before, the pricing models are becoming more sophisticated and demand driven. Don't like it? Oh well, stick with you've got, buy used, or just buy less of a model which is mmarshall's thread title point.
Old 12-12-21, 09:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I find it hilarious when people are complaining about dealer overcharging them 5-10k on a 100k truck. The horror, lol.

Lower vehicle prices may (?) require life-style changes from consumers.-pqjr9sw.jpg
Old 12-13-21, 07:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Car prices will continue to go up based on these factors from what i can see:
- Labor, raw material costs etc
- EV transition costs (infrastructure, tooling, R&d) consumers will be paying for it all
- ICE ban (higher taxes, fee for operating/buying ICE vehicles) The Gas Guzzler tax on most performance cars is just extreme.
- increased technology and safety regulations

The cars from late 90s to about 2010 will be highly sought after as they provide good balance of modern tech without all the Big Brother nannies, digital screens, shifters etc.
Old 12-13-21, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I was looking at new trucks (thinking of a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull a camper) and I got so frustrated that I said screw it and paid off my half ton instead. I FLAT OUT refuse to pay the prices dealers are asking for new vehicles these days, especially trucks. I went to buy a Ram 3500 limited (non dually), and it was $94,000. I was already never going to pay that much anyway, but then they added a $10,000 "Market adjustment" on for a total of $104,000 +TTL. That is absolutely insane. There are many vehicles out there that ARE worth that kind of money, but a ram isn't one of them. I don't care how nice they get, at the end of the day, its a truck and I am going to treat it as such.

Originally Posted by Och
I find it hilarious when people are complaining about dealer overcharging them 5-10k on a 100k truck.
No offense, Och, but I have to agree with Josh on this one. [deleted]

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-13-21 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-13-21, 07:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, Och, but I have to agree with Josh on this one. Josh served his country and won a Purple Heart. Some dealers and manufacturers give a discount to those in the military...especially those wounded. For them to already pad an already-inflated price, and especially to those like Josh, is indeed ludicrous.
The dealer and the manufacturer have invested a ton of resources to build their businesses, and they are in it for the money. If they want to give someone a personal discount based on military service or whatever else, that's up to them, but nobody is entitled to discounts. Again, if they manufacturers figured out they can make more money in one shift vs three shifts, they are not going back to the old ways.

And either way, it is absolutely ridiculous for someone shopping for a $100k luxury vehicle to complain about the price. A regular cab F150 with 8 foot bed, which is an actual work truck, starts at $29,590.00.
Old 12-13-21, 07:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

No offense, Och, but I have to agree with Josh on this one. Josh served his country and won a Purple Heart. Some dealers and manufacturers give a discount to those in the military...especially those wounded. For them to already pad an already-inflated price, and especially to those like Josh, is indeed ludicrous.
It’s called capitalism!

He is free to go to other dealers.
Also for ordered cars there is no markup - dealers are doing this stuff mostly on high demand showroom models because lack of inventory.

My local dealer wanted over MSRP on Mustang Mach 1 that was on the lot, there is a dealer on forums giving below invoice on new 2022 orders. Deals are still out there.
Old 12-13-21, 11:48 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I find it hilarious when people are complaining about dealer overcharging them 5-10k on a 100k truck. The horror, lol.

How do you think I got to where I am? by wasting money on fruitless ****? Nope. I saved my pennies for years, invested, bought and sold properties, etc. I busted my *** for every penny, just as I am sure you have. There is no call for that comment whatsoever. How would you like it if someone added a $50,000 market adjustment to a house you want, just because they can? Or a 40% market adjustment to a pair of Jordans, or any other "luxury" item you might want. Get off your high horse bro.

The point being, the vehicle was ALREADY overpriced before they gouged it.

There is no reason at all for an escalade to cost $150,000. just 5 years ago, the same Ram I was shopping for was fully loaded for 60k. Now its $104,000? BS
Please do not bring my military service into this, it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand, thanks. I am no more or less entitled to a fair price just because I served, than anyone else in this country is. This is not the first time we have had this conversation. I served, yes, but the only benefits I am entitled to are those promised by the Federal Government and the Department of Veterans Affairs. I ask for nothing more than that.

Originally Posted by Och

And either way, it is absolutely ridiculous for someone shopping for a $100k luxury vehicle to complain about the price. A regular cab F150 with 8 foot bed, which is an actual work truck, starts at $29,590.00.
There is not one dealer out there right now that will sell an F150 for that. Even a base model. You're going to pay $40k easy, probably more. I buy and sell more vehicles than most here due to the nature of my businesses. I can say with an absolute certainty that work truck trims are in much higher demand than the loaded trims simply due to increased construction work. That regular Cab F150 will hit the lot with an MSRP of 29 whatever, and they'll print a dealer window sticker with $42k on it. Bet.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It’s called capitalism!

He is free to go to other dealers.
Also for ordered cars there is no markup - dealers are doing this stuff mostly on high demand showroom models because lack of inventory.

My local dealer wanted over MSRP on Mustang Mach 1 that was on the lot, there is a dealer on forums giving below invoice on new 2022 orders. Deals are still out there.
Tried that. Most manufacturers have stopped accepting ordered vehicles (especially trucks) due to chip shortages and increased demand. The manufacturers that have not, dealers will not place an order for you at MSRP. You either buy whats in inventory at an artifically inflated price, order and pay whatever markup the dealer wants to attach, or you don't. Its utter garbage. And they get away with it because of the stupid franchise-dealership laws in this country.

Its not capitalism, its greed, flat out.

I guess I will just drive what I have for the next 50 years, fixing it when it breaks. As far as my business vehicles are concerned, I will need 7 new trucks again in a year or 2, and I will NOT pay these ridiculous prices. I will either keep putting parts into them and fixing them, or sell the business and retire permanently before I am 40. Then who's laughing?

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-13-21 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-13-21, 01:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the Great Automotive Sellers' Market of 2021-2022. In November 2021, average new-vehicle transaction prices reached 46K...up some 13% from November of last year. Here's an interesting video from an ex-dealer who used to be in the business. He argues (perhaps with some merit)? that what we're seeing today is not a fluke, but that this marks wholesale (no pun intended) changes in the industry and marketing, and that, as consumers, we may have to simply change the way we live, the vehicles we demand, and how much we are willing to pay for those vehicles. No matter how high prices go, unless it is an emergency (totaled vehicle, stolen vehicle, etc....), and we must get another vehicle ASAP, we aren't necessarily forced to go out and pay those prices. Many of our vehicle WANTS are not necessarily our vehicle NEEDS.

I know, in my case, I got an Encore GX mostly to have something smaller, easier to drive/manuver/park, and more versatile than my previous large sedan....but still with Buick smoothness and quietness. IMO, it was worth the 31K it stickered for (and I got a discount from that)...but it was definitely NOT worth the average 46K transaction price of today....or even the 36K that the dealership would be asking for that vehicle today, a year later....although I, as a repeat customer, might get at least a little break...dealerships usually like repeat customers.

I'm not a lawyer, but at least some of this video sounds to me suspiciously like collusion among manufacturers to limit supply and charge higher prices. Years ago, that was referred to as Price-Fixing....which became illegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QhLONqX0LM
Literally some random guy with a microphone broadcasting from his basement. I'm not ready to be guided by his market analysis just yet.
Old 12-13-21, 01:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking at new trucks (thinking of a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull a camper) and I got so frustrated that I said screw it and paid off my half ton instead. I FLAT OUT refuse to pay the prices dealers are asking for new vehicles these days, especially trucks. I went to buy a Ram 3500 limited (non dually), and it was $94,000. I was already never going to pay that much anyway, but then they added a $10,000 "Market adjustment" on for a total of $104,000 +TTL. That is absolutely insane. There are many vehicles out there that ARE worth that kind of money, but a ram isn't one of them. I don't care how nice they get, at the end of the day, its a truck and I am going to treat it as such.

My thinking has shifted these past few years and I think I would rather have a nice fun car than a fancy pickup, so the next time I do buy one (when prices come back down, and they will), It will be the absolute most basic one I can get with 4x4. We're talking vinyl seats, air conditioning, no carpet, thats it. I can add everything else I want aftermarket and do it better and cheaper than OEM's anyway.
A local Nissan dealer wanted a $4995 "Market Adjustment" on a Versa with an MSRP of $19,995.
Old 12-13-21, 01:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

How do you think I got to where I am? by wasting money on fruitless ****? Nope. I saved my pennies for years, invested, bought and sold properties, etc. I busted my *** for every penny, just as I am sure you have. There is no call for that comment whatsoever. How would you like it if someone added a $50,000 market adjustment to a house you want, just because they can? Or a 40% market adjustment to a pair of Jordans, or any other "luxury" item you might want. Get off your high horse bro.
don't take it personally, i don't think Och's point is about you, simply that 5K markup on a 100K truck won't be too relevant if (when) the economy REALLY goes south and people are desperate just to eat.

The point being, the vehicle was ALREADY overpriced before they gouged it.
trucks are hot and have become more luxurious, so they're pricey. now that shortages are happening too, plus uncorked economic activity as drastic pandemic measures have lessened have made dealers take advantage of it. i'm not surprised, and frankly don't blame them. do i like it? no, but i understand why it's happening.

and you say trucks are overpriced even without gouging, well, you're certainly entitled to that opinion, but i know lots of people buying them, loaded up, especially many of my construction clients.

There is no reason at all for an escalade to cost $150,000.
there's no reason for a cartier diamond to cost that much either imo. if it's not for you, it's not for you. there doesn't have to be a 'reason' for it to make sense to everyone.

There is not one dealer out there right now that will sell an F150 for that. Even a base model. You're going to pay $40k easy, probably more.
ok. as i said, trucks are hot, and that's no more than a camry.

I can say with an absolute certainty that work truck trims are in much higher demand than the loaded trims simply due to increased construction work.
well a rising tide lifts all boats. if the prices aren't tenable to enough people, sales will drop and so will prices. but until then, fuggedaboutit.

You either buy whats in inventory at an artifically inflated price, order and pay whatever markup the dealer wants to attach, or you don't. Its utter garbage. And they get away with it because of the stupid franchise-dealership laws in this country.
yup, except the last part. tesla, without franchise dealers, has raised prices many times in the past couple of years, because demand is so far outstripping supply they're taking advantage of that to make more revenue. greed? i don't see it that way, it's taking advantage of a market opportunity

Its not capitalism, its greed, flat out.
a distinction without a difference. remember gordon gecko?

I guess I will just drive what I have for the next 50 years, fixing it when it breaks. As far as my business vehicles are concerned, I will need 7 new trucks again in a year or 2, and I will NOT pay these ridiculous prices. I will either keep putting parts into them and fixing them, or sell the business and retire permanently before I am 40. Then who's laughing?
more power to you. won't impact the market one bit either way.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-13-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-13-21, 02:31 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a distinction without a difference.
You could've just left your post with these words. Capitalism seems to be working just fine, the downsides are just hitting a broader group of people in an unexpected place right now.
Old 12-13-21, 05:45 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

^That. The middle class is being punched in the ba11$.
Old 12-13-21, 05:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

If people are willing to pay $100,000 for a truck plus a market adjustment then good for all parties involved. I think anyone who pays more than MSRP is not making a wise decision, and the companies or dealers marking stuff up is not great either. Car prices are partly more expensive because of the green push as automakers have to add more and more technology to achieve better fuel economy standards. Stuff like over the air updates, as well as more advanced screens and other stuff like self driving tech just increases the prices. So does features like stop start as well batteries for hybrids and plug in stuff. I don’t think all manufacturers will only do the more expensive stuff…this is what people want, so careful what you wish for .I believe Toyota, Honda and Hyundai will still offer lower end stuff that is affordable as those three brands haven’t forgotten the lower priced stuff.

I also think Audi, Mercedes and BMW are not as special as they once were as the domestics now make some very nice and quite expensive trucks and SUVS coming from their mainstream brands such as Chevy or Ford or RAM. Toyota wants in on it with their new Tundra as well

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-21 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-13-21, 05:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

It doesn't cost $100,000 to build an escalade, when you consider the fact its 90% tahoe, its more like 25-30k. MIGHT be 50k to build something like an S class.
Old 12-13-21, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

It doesn't cost $100,000 to build an escalade, when you consider the fact its 90% tahoe, its more like 25-30k. MIGHT be 50k to build something like an S class.
I agree. But if people are willing to pay $100,000 with no adjustment or markup. Who’s fault is that?

Quick Reply: Lower vehicle prices may (?) require life-style changes from consumers.