Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 11:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thats just a plain out lie.
What are you talking about? I've charged my Tesla from 10-80% in less than 30 min in 30 degree weather easy. whats your experience?
Old 12-15-21, 11:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It depends on the region and time period. Go look what is happening to energy prices in Europe.

That being said, some people value their time far more than additional cost of whatever energy their car uses.
Exactly! By doing other things that most people need to do when the car is charging - such as sleeping, washroom break, food break, stretching my legs etc.
Old 12-15-21, 11:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why does anyone here think toyota did this presentation now? i don't really get it. is it just to say "hey, we're not out of touch, we've got a plan"? How does that benefit toyota/lexus? Does it really help with sales today if you can't buy any of the things being shown?
Toyota did it for a few reasons. It is obvious that BEVs sales are starting to pick up. It is unclear if these models are all concepts or production ready, but they are showing that they can design and create a BEV for any segment and any size and for any region. Toyota marketing is showing that they can create a brand name such as Toyota "Beyond Zero" and they also merged Toyota/Lexus in the same presentation which is quite rare. That said, I watched the whole presentation, they touch on things like a BEV for different regions such Japan vs America, they touch on "Sport Battery", as well as "solid state" and they mention their commitment to BEVS such as 70 billion in investments over the next 9 years as well as $4 billion for hybrid/plug in/fuel cell and $4 billion for BEVs. IMO, it is impossible for every car to be BEV in the future, I think Toyota realizes this and they are just showing they can make different cars in this case, BEVs for different region. Also, I have never really liked some of the BEV designs, these models seem to be more ICE style like which is good IMO.

Toyota also talks about the fact that when add range, you add mass, thus you are cost…

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-21 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-15-21, 11:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

but what's laughable about that is that even if all cars were EVs (something i don't think anyone rationally believes will happen before at least 2050, the world will still be burning, refining and using billions of barrels of oil a year because of ships, planes, industrial plants, PLASTICS, and on and on and on. EVs have many nice attributes besides not using gasoline and oil (speed, quiet, efficiency, etc), but i don't believe their widespread use will have a significant dent in fossil fuel pollution until maybe the end of the century.
Take a broader view. Electric vehicles are about energy storage as much they are about transportation Tesla is in reality an energy company that happens to make cars. As battery storage gets better and cheaper it makes it more and more feasible to build out renewable energy. Plus why are we burning an extremely valuable resource like oil when it is so useful in making thousands of products. It is finite, the worst possible thing we can do is burn it to drive down the road, this is in fact insane. Oil is possibly the most precious resource on this planet we need to conserve it as much as possible until we can engineer a way not to use it at all. Burning 98,000,000 barrels of oil per day is about the most dangerous experiment in human history.
i know that, my narrative? it's not that you only like tesla if that's what you mean. i know you're a true believer in all things EV.
Of course I am and so is the automotive industry. Most every major auto maker is going all in and now apparently Toyota. So is me being a "true believer" wrong somehow? Is that a sleight? How about from now on I call you a true believer in gas guzzling polluting V8 engines.
i don't recall why if you mentioned, sorry.
I own many cars don't need another one, I've come close to buying a Tesla quite a few times but it would just sit there I don't drive much anymore.
well consistency is interesting... if one has passionately held beliefs or opinions, one would think they'd live the talk.
Fair point, I do my best in general to live using as few resources as possible but I'm not perfect.
anyway, back to your hated toyota's quest to bring out a load of EVs ...
I am doing the exact opposite, "hating" the fact Toyota is blowing smoke instead of getting on with making electric vehicles. I hope they are serious this time but I have serious doubts. If they are all in on EVs this time that is some serious about face by Akio Toyoda. Toyota has and continues to lobby against electric vehicles and claims they will cost millions of jobs that doesn't fit very well with an all electric vehicle mission.
Old 12-15-21, 01:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Exactly! By doing other things that most people need to do when the car is charging - such as sleeping, washroom break, food break, stretching my legs etc.
Yeah, I'm very keep on stretching my legs for an hour in freezing cold, lol. I can barely stand being outside for a minute while filling up the tank with gas when its cold out.
Old 12-15-21, 01:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
What are you talking about? I've charged my Tesla from 10-80% in less than 30 min in 30 degree weather easy. whats your experience?
80 is not full, it doesnt even drop to 30 in Cali AFAIK, and the 30 minute time is dependent on other factors, it can easily increase to an hour.
Old 12-15-21, 01:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
80 is not full, it doesnt even drop to 30 in Cali AFAIK, and the 30 minute time is dependent on other factors, it can easily increase to an hour.
Speaking from the NorCal perspective, It's 37 degrees at my moms place about 3 hours north of the Bay Area right now. And this morning in East Bay we had a low of 35 degrees before it warmed up to low 50's here. As we get into late Dec early Jan there's a handful of days where it'll drop below 32 degrees. Not many but it does happen. I'll let someone from SoCal chime in on LA weather.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-15-21 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-15-21, 01:28 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 791 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Charging to 100% is a bad use of time. I've charged during snowstorms coming and going from DE to NJ and I only charge enough to get to where I need to go which is typically ~15-20 minutes. It's enough time for me to walk to the Starbucks located next to the supercharger, grab a drink, and continue on my way.
Old 12-15-21, 01:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Saw this browsing the interwebs. RX, ES or IS, and GX.

Old 12-15-21, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The ideal, IMO, would be for the industry to offer each new vehicle in two different configurations.....ICE and BEV. That way, the buyer will have a choice. I
Thats just not feasible. The two propulsion systems are completely different, and vehicles built from the ground up as EVs are not able to accommodate an ICE drivetrain.
Old 12-15-21, 01:37 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Hope one of these is a revival of the GS as a GZ, 4 door looking coupe hatch!!
Old 12-15-21, 01:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Charging to 100% is a bad use of time. I've charged during snowstorms coming and going from DE to NJ and I only charge enough to get to where I need to go which is typically ~15-20 minutes. It's enough time for me to walk to the Starbucks located next to the supercharger, grab a drink, and continue on my way.
Ugh, no. If you only charge as much as you need to get to where you're going, it only means you have to charge more often, so the time it takes for 100% charge, you're just splitting it into multiple stops. Its like fueling up a couple of gallons at a time and stopping for gas daily instead of filling up a tank and not having to stop for gas for a week. If it suits your lifestyle, more power to you, but not everyone has the leisure or wants to waste their time like this.
Old 12-15-21, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Ugh, no. If you only charge as much as you need to get to where you're going, it only means you have to charge more often, so the time it takes for 100% charge, you're just splitting it into multiple stops. Its like fueling up a couple of gallons at a time and stopping for gas daily instead of filling up a tank and not having to stop for gas for a week. If it suits your lifestyle, more power to you, but not everyone has the leisure or wants to waste their time like this.
It takes twice long to go from 80%-100% as it does to go from 0% to 80%. Thats the flaw in your logic.
Old 12-15-21, 01:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The fact that people think this switch to EVs is for the benefit of the environment is just laughable.

Folks its all about $$$.

The powers that be see an opportunity to make a new industry that is in the TRILLIONS and with political support they are going full steam.

If we truly cared one iota about the environment, we would shut down every factory in China until the stop being the world’s worst polluter without any regard. Yet almost every essential item we use is made there.

Its a fairytale that only a gullible college student will buy that EVs will have any measurable improvement on the environment. EVs have benefits in certain regards and can make a superior transportation tool than ICE vehicles but the environment angle is pure BS.
Old 12-15-21, 01:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

why does anyone here think toyota did this presentation now? i don't really get it. is it just to say "hey, we're not out of touch, we've got a plan"? How does that benefit toyota/lexus? Does it really help with sales today if you can't buy any of the things being shown?
Because their first real EV starts sales in few months, they already announced pricing for European markets today. They start deliveries of BZ4X in 3-4 months from now.
Lexus RZ450E is going to follow with sales starting few months later.

They have shown 17 different EVs, they have obviously been working on this for 4-5 years at least. A lot of shown EVs look like near production vehicle, i think only 2-3 were actually real concepts. They said most will be on sale by 2025, product shown was not for 2030-2035, it is near term product.

Quick Reply: Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup