Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-21, 05:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
In the four photos below, they may have a point with the silver sedan a full size LS, while the dark gray sedan a midsize GS?
GS is dead... yes, that looks like LS and was removed by Lexus later, shown off to press under closed doors. There are some tidbits about next gen LS from Lexus dealer council already. That other vehicle looks like next gen ES. Also a next gen CT was shown there as well as RX.

Silver vehicles were BEV only, but all Lexus ones were concepts except for RZ. Toyota actually had 3 production ready looking vehicles (for Europe probably) + BZ4X.
Old 12-18-21, 05:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Why does the second BEV have such an unfashionably long nose cone like an ICEV front mid-engine vehicle?
Because thats attractive lol. I love that these EVs look like cars, not computer mouses.

Originally Posted by dallidani
I
In my neighborhood, we lose about 3-5 garage, driveway space per year due to new construction(take down old building, use up all square footage), that is only in my block actually, new building has been going up since 2016. More people in buildings, more cars and less private parking.

Have you recently went on house, co-op, condo search? Majority..if not ALL the co-ops I have seen, waitlist for parking!. Garages on private homes? You have to be the 1% by definition to obtain this.
I am in the real estate business, and your perception of this is colored by where you live. Nationally, 80% of homes and condos have garages or carports.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah, telling people they can't drive in the NYC is dumb as nails. There would a huge economic side effects as well as NYC is such an important city to the US and for the world. Having the option of both battery electric and hydrogen ICE/FC is the perfect solution for everyone if they want clean air.
Plenty of other major cities in the world that limit strongly personal cars within their downtown areas. If I lived in Manhattan, I wouldn't have a car. No reason to. I would also never drive into Manhattan. No reason to.
Old 12-18-21, 06:33 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Phew, for a moment, I thought I might have to jump ship to a Tesla or a Kia Stinger for my next reliable sports sedan!
😀 don’t forget you also have the option of getting a IS 500 with that glorious v8 !
Old 12-18-21, 08:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Plenty of other major cities in the world that limit strongly personal cars within their downtown areas. If I lived in Manhattan, I wouldn't have a car. No reason to. I would also never drive into Manhattan. No reason to.
There are a lot of commercial vehicles driving in and out of Manhattan daily, but I read the amount of personal cars driving into Manhattan increased about 25% since the pandemic, and that's considering that only 8% of office employees have fully returned to working at the offices. People are still afraid of the virus, so the buses are almost empty, and slower than walking, and the subways are half empty. The subways used to be packed like sardines during the rush hour, now there are plenty of free seats, and because of that crime is out of control on the subway, so that adds to people's fears. Thus people prefer to drive and willing to deal with traffic, expensive tolls and parking at it makes them miserable, pissed off and road raging. I'm glad that the weather has been very mild so far, so I was mostly able to cut through this nonsense on my motorcycle. Once it gets colder I'll be using the subway, but I still have two commercial vans that my employees drive into Manhattan daily, and I really wish for personal cars to be banned to make life easier for commercial drivers.

What will happen eventually, if they really stop selling ICE cars and switch to EVs only, even without a formal ban on personal vehicles, roughly 80% of NYC residents are going to be forced to give up driving because they have nowhere to charge. This means the city government will have to make the city more walkable and improve the public transportation, and they just aren't doing it. Public transportation is geared towards Manhattan, but within the other four boroughs it's terrible. Besides driving into Manhattan people still have to deal with daily local errands, shopping, school run, and if they are unable to drive or have access to reliable, safe and efficient public transportation they are going to start leaving the city en masse, meanwhile the rest of the city will spiral further towards third world.

I know I'm getting offtopic, but between dying cities and bland suburbs, and with all the culture rot, USA is losing its charm. I've been thinking of moving to NJ to get away from NYCs problems, but man the suburbia makes me depressed. My mom has bought herself a waterfront condo on the grorious Black Sea in Sunny Beach, Bulgaria and plans to move there as soon as she retires, and my wife and I have been thinking of Odessa, Ukraine, where she is originally from. Basically somewhere in Europe with mild climate, great culture, and no EV hysteria, lol.
Old 12-18-21, 09:57 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
GS is dead... yes, that looks like LS and was removed by Lexus later, shown off to press under closed doors. There are some tidbits about next gen LS from Lexus dealer council already. That other vehicle looks like next gen ES. Also a next gen CT was shown there as well as RX.

Silver vehicles were BEV only, but all Lexus ones were concepts except for RZ. Toyota actually had 3 production ready looking vehicles (for Europe probably) + BZ4X.
So that next gen ES comes in both ICEV and BEV just like TNGA UX, and not dedicated e-TNGA?
Old 12-18-21, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What will happen eventually, if they really stop selling ICE cars and switch to EVs only, even without a formal ban on personal vehicles, roughly 80% of NYC residents are going to be forced to give up driving because they have nowhere to charge.
In many cases, I don't think that bans on ICEs can effectively be enforced.. It will be like trying to enforce the 55 MPH speed limit or Right-Turn-on-Red-After-Stop.....too many people will simply say screw it, give the Bronx Salute, and carry on as usual.
Old 12-18-21, 11:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In many cases, I don't think that bans on ICEs can effectively be enforced.. It will be like trying to enforce the 55 MPH speed limit or Right-Turn-on-Red-After-Stop.....too many people will simply say screw it, give the Bronx Salute, and carry on as usual.
Why not? There are ways in can be done.
Old 12-18-21, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why not? There are ways in can be done.
Not in a signifiant or realistic manner, it can't. The population of the U.S. is simply too large, and there are (and will be) simply too many ICEs still on the road, ban or no ban. It will be like trying to enforce no-texting/driving laws. And, spite some recent prototype BEV police-cruisers, the police themselves will probably still be driving ICEs....localities won't want to spend the money to convert to police-BEVs and recharging facilities.
Old 12-18-21, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Nobody is saying they are going to ban ICE vehicles from the roads en masse. When it comes to cities like Manhattan, look at London, they charge vehicles based on displacement and inefficient vehicles are charged a lot/banned from entering the city. Something like that makes a ton of sense for Manhattan.
Old 12-18-21, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody is saying they are going to ban ICE vehicles from the roads en masse.
Lots of people are indeed saying it....but what we are actually discussing is the possibility of whether it can feasibly done or not. I'm not convinced it can....and, from some your posts, correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't seem to be, either.

Old 12-18-21, 11:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Nobody is saying they are going to ban ICE vehicles from the roads en masse. When it comes to cities like Manhattan, look at London, they charge vehicles based on displacement and inefficient vehicles are charged a lot/banned from entering the city. Something like that makes a ton of sense for Manhattan.
We were supposed to get a congestion fee back in 2020, but then the imaginary pandemic put a halt on it, they only now starting talking about it again. Regardless, now that so many people are worried about the virus, they might opt to pay the fee anyway to avoid mass transport.
Old 12-18-21, 11:31 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

They don't have to ban them formally, if they stop selling new ICEs, eventually used supply of used ones is going to dry up, especially if they stop producing and importing parts.
Old 12-18-21, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Not in a signifiant or realistic manner, it can't. The population of the U.S. is simply too large, and there are (and will be) simply too many ICEs still on the road, ban or no ban. It will be like trying to enforce no-texting/driving laws. And, spite some recent prototype BEV police-cruisers, the police themselves will probably still be driving ICEs....localities won't want to spend the money to convert to police-BEVs and recharging facilities.
Got yea. I was just looking at New York City for example. If the city just creates road toll for all vehicles entering the city, and EVs are exempt and you significantly make the cost to enter the city prohibitive they you achieve what you want to do. In Canada, we have a nationwide carbon tax, it just inflates the price of gas in every sector, so now people have to make choices when they get a new vehicle as the price of gas is significantly higher than before. I think the price of gas is $6/gallon US in Canada.
Old 12-18-21, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
They don't have to ban them formally, if they stop selling new ICEs,
That will likely create a black market, although I'll admit that it's a lot more difficult selling something the size and mass of a vehicle clandestinely than with typical contraband objects. It also raises the question of how many people would buy from disreputable sources....in truth, it's anyone's guess.
Old 12-18-21, 11:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Got yea. I was just looking at New York City for example. If the city just creates road toll for all vehicles entering the city, and EVs are exempt and you significantly make the cost to enter the city prohibitive they you achieve what you want to do. In Canada, we have a nationwide carbon tax, it just inflates the price of gas in every sector, so now people have to make choices when they get a new vehicle as the price of gas is significantly higher than before. I think the price of gas is $6/gallon US in Canada.
They are not going to make EVs exempt from tolls, even motorcycles pay tolls. Once EVs become mainstream, cost of electricity is going to skyrocket, and there are going to be additional road taxes to drive an EV.

Quick Reply: Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup