Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21, 04:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I was being sarcastic. The TTV8 and GX have no future as ICE.
New GX will be ICE, in any case we’ll see!

Yes TTV8 is dead.
Old 12-14-21, 04:37 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I dunno man, this looks an awful lot like it would be a good base for an EV GX, assuming the GX nameplate survives.

Old 12-14-21, 04:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

That looks like it was rendered using a 5 year old game engine.
Old 12-14-21, 04:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
I dunno man, this looks an awful lot like it would be a good base for an EV GX, assuming the GX nameplate survives.

Don't see why it wouldn't. They sell so many GXs as they are I get dizzy. I finally got time driving one and absolutely see the appeal and why they are so popular. Feels and rides great. Engine is plenty powerful, even if not so much on paper.
Old 12-14-21, 05:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If Lexus is 100% EV in 2030 that means every current model is now obsolete no new development will take place. Current factories will have to be very quickly converted or new ones built.
why would they need to build new factories again? I bet their EVs will be built easily in TNGA plants. BZ4X has started production in Motomachi plant.
Plus, it is BEV only 2030 in US/EU/China, other countries will still get whatever other engines until 2035.

They also plan to build vehicles that utilize both EV and Hybrid powertrains, that is probably intermediate goal, like what Toyota Europe announced with E3 platform that will combine TNGA and e-TNGA to produce EVs on same lines with TNGA vehicles.

There is a lot of time between now and 2035.
Old 12-14-21, 05:04 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
Toyota agrees with you and the all electric lineup is pushed out to 2035 so there is lots of time for them to watch the market and change their mind. Here in CA it may occur quicker and some of the other news today had to do with making ev charging stations more prevalent. No need to panic about placid driving either, toy also has plans for a 0-60 ev in under 2 seconds with a 435 mile range---but I honestly think that is more pie in the sky than something you can put your teeth into.
I am not too concerned about how the numbers with electric cars are beginning to make the internal combustion engines look obsolete (for example, Plaid is faster than the Gordon Murray T.50 in a straight line, but nothing can touch the T.50 in anything except numbers). I am very content with my "measly" of what eventually would be around 530 - 540 CHP RCF and I would keep enjoying the driving experience while electric car fans would always keep talking about how electric car numbers are unbeatable.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-14-21 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-14-21, 05:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would they need to build new factories again?
Ask GM, Ford, VW and others why they are building factories for electric vehicles. Are they doing it wrong?
I bet their EVs will be built easily in TNGA plants. BZ4X has started production in Motomachi plant.
If it's so easy I wonder why they are not mass producing EVs already.
Plus, it is BEV only 2030 in US/EU/China, other countries will still get whatever other engines until 2035.
In 2030 the petrol car will be niche, never mind 2035. Save this post if you like I think it's about the easiest prediction ever.
There is a lot of time between now and 2035.
3 years for other auto makers to take market share from Toyota in the form of EVs.
Old 12-14-21, 05:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

In 2030 the petrol car will be niche, never mind 2035. Save this post if you like I think it's about the easiest prediction ever.

Hah, I’ll take that bet. You say “petrol”, where are you located?

So in 8 years everyone who has 2022 or older ICE powered vehicle will just abandon them for EV? ICE niche vehicles? Really?

I already have a wager on here on whether Chevy will still be producing V8s in 2030.
Old 12-14-21, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

He's talking about new vehicles being sold, and I bet he's probably right.

There will of course remain way more ICE cars on the road than EV cars, but by 2030 most new cars sold will be EVs.
Old 12-14-21, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Ask GM, Ford, VW and others why they are building factories for electric vehicles. Are they doing it wrong?

If it's so easy I wonder why they are not mass producing EVs already.

Maybe company best known for their production systems knows a thing or two about building cars, or maybe a guy on forum knows more?
They are certainly building new battery plants though.

As to the 2030, Europe with large incentives is going quickly that way. China is going somewhere, but in US things still are changing slow.
Rest of the world? They dont even have plans for EVs yet.
Old 12-14-21, 05:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Hah, I’ll take that bet. You say “petrol”, where are you located?
Look at my avatar if you haven't figure that out already.
So in 8 years everyone who has 2022 or older ICE powered vehicle will just abandon them for EV? ICE niche vehicles? Really?
Did I say anything about people abandoning their petrol cars? What? I'm saying in 2030 any new car with a gas engine will be a niche product.
I already have a wager on here on whether Chevy will still be producing V8s in 2030.
I'm sure they will in very low volume. It has become nearly impossible to meet regulations with a V8 today never mind in 8 years.
Maybe company best known for their production systems knows a thing or two about building cars, or maybe a guy on forum knows more?
Clearly Toyota knows exactly how to make electric vehicles that's why they are showing off a bunch of pops and CGI cars.
Old 12-14-21, 07:44 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

As to the 2030, Europe with large incentives is going quickly that way. China is going somewhere, but in US things still are changing slow.
Rest of the world? They dont even have plans for EVs yet.
VW's CEO and Ford's CEO both mentioned their envy for Tesla's mfg margins and their efficient mfg lines.
Old 12-14-21, 07:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Always been a fan of the spindle, but I'm loving this new direction for the next generation of design. Shame there's not much info on some of these but from left to right. The roadster has great proportions, a real thorn to the 718 Boxster. The next two hatchy/sedans give me a Panamera vibe, I dig it . Electric Sports car front and center has an amazing front. You can see LFA, LC500, and Supra cues. Next up Lexus's 'Model 3' looks like a great replacement for my IS. RZ 450e looks sleek, sort of like an I-Pace, and lastly the presumably 3-row SUV is definitely needed in the line-up.
Did you catch the convertible in there?

Also…only one model has a sunroof. This one looks like a Prius BEV

Old 12-14-21, 08:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Always been a fan of the spindle, but I'm loving this new direction for the next generation of design. Shame there's not much info on some of these but from left to right. The roadster has great proportions, a real thorn to the 718 Boxster. The next two hatchy/sedans give me a Panamera vibe, I dig it . Electric Sports car front and center has an amazing front. You can see LFA, LC500, and Supra cues. .......
I totally agree with you

Regarding that sports car in the middle, can it be this?

LFA as an EV
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/s...-lfa-as-an-ev/
Old 12-14-21, 08:41 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree that I'm liking the new products toyota/lexus are bringing out.
Lexus was getting a little stale.

Back then, lexus would just show the silhouette of the spindle grills for the new era, now they just threw a hail mary to the public

Originally Posted by EZZ
I thought they were going hydrogen FCEV? That was a pretty quick 180 this year...at least they are acknowledging their mistakes and adapting finally......
Haha, I said the same thing too.

so the mirai is just a one-off?

Quick Reply: Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup