Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm not "keen" on getting rid of ICE cars and having only EV options, in fact I'm concerned about it since the types of vehicles I like seem to be difficult to make as EVs, I just call it like I see it. The momentum towards EVs is unstoppable, all of these companies WILL sell largely or all EVs within 10 years or so, like it or not.

The ideal, IMO, would be for the industry to offer each new vehicle in two different configurations.....ICE and BEV. That way, the buyer will have a choice. It will probably necessitate a line of fewer vehicles from each manufacturer (and dual-service facilities for gas and BEV vehicles), but, IMO, particularly in the line-ups of huge manufacturers like Chevy, Ford, and Toyota, and Hyundai/Kia, there are already more vehicle-choices in the line-up than is probably necessary, particularly with small crossovers.
Old 12-15-21, 09:12 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Will all these vehicles use the same powerplant like Toyota likes to do up and down their line? Do we know?

I don't know much about the EV technology so I'm curious to know if it's the same powerplant with different sizes? How does Tesla do it in their cars?
Old 12-15-21, 09:20 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Toyota/Lexus would already be all EV if they were as good at actually bringing an EV to market as they are talking about it.
Seems they were dragging their feet because Toyota was trying to push their hydrogen cell technology. Seems they wanted to be the first in what they believed to be the next best course besides electrification. Unfortunately for them, that hasn't really taken off... soooo they've got no choice but to jump on the electric bandwagon to stay relevant.

Originally Posted by Motorola
I dunno man, this looks an awful lot like it would be a good base for an EV GX, assuming the GX nameplate survives.

GX? I don't see it. It's smaller than an NX. This thing looks super compact... like the size of the current Chevy Trailblazer or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Also…only one model has a sunroof. This one looks like a Prius BEV
I actually really like that hatchback. Compared to the sedan that was further to the right of the LFA-like coupe, it sorta gives off IS Sportcross vibes to me. I highly doubt it would come stateside though.
Old 12-15-21, 09:22 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He's talking about new vehicles being sold, and I bet he's probably right.

There will of course remain way more ICE cars on the road than EV cars, but by 2030 most new cars sold will be EVs.
Originally Posted by LeX2K
Look at my avatar if you haven't figure that out already.
Canada would be horrible for EVs, they lose so much range in cold weather. Canada cold weather. (I didn't know you guys say "petrol"..neat)

Did I say anything about people abandoning their petrol cars? What? I'm saying in 2030 any new car with a gas engine will be a niche product.
I just mean that I (respectfully) flat disagree with you and others that EVs will sell more than ICE in 8 years.

We'll see. 8 years is not far away at all. And you have half the country that won't ever buy one just because they're stubborn. (Glorious America!)
Old 12-15-21, 09:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Canada would be horrible for EVs, they lose so much range in cold weather. Canada cold weather. (I didn't know you guys say "petrol"..neat)
This statement is based on your personal experience owning an EV in Canada? Wow, talk about assumptions and misinformation galore.
Old 12-15-21, 09:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
This statement is based on your personal experience owning an EV in Canada? Wow, talk about assumptions and misinformation galore.
No, it's based on common knowledge. Cold is bad for batteries. That right there is common sense.

If you want proof, non-partisan AAA did a huge study and concluded EVs lose 41% of range at 20 degree temps or lower when the heater is used.

EVs are great for Southern California. Where it gets cold, not so much. You buy a $100,000 Tesla and lose half your range when it gets cold? What a joke.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2019/02/col...vehicle-range/

AAA is not political, or minimally. I have never found anything they've thrown out to be partisan in any way or another.

Some of y'all are gonna have to read this link and weep.
Old 12-15-21, 09:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

There are no doubt a lot people like you, but there's also a lot of people who aren't. This is America remember. We embrace change.
Of course we do! But we also aren't really keen on fixing stuff that isn't broken. I've said lol if I were filthy rich I'd probably buy a Tesla as a 4th or 5th car.
Old 12-15-21, 09:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

No, it's based on common knowledge. Cold is bad for batteries. That right there is common sense.

If you want proof, non-partisan AAA did a huge study and concluded EVs lose 41% of range at 20 degree temps or lower when the heater is used.

EVs are great for Southern California. Where it gets cold, not so much. You buy a $100,000 Tesla and lose half your range when it gets cold? What a joke.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2019/02/col...vehicle-range/

AAA is not political, or minimally. I have never found anything they've thrown out to be partisan in any way or another.

Some of y'all are gonna have to read this link and weep.
I speak from personal experience - I've owned a Model S for 2.5 years, and I live in Canada.

Your statement of an EV being horrible in cold is by definition - your statement, that's all it is.

My car loses between 20 - 30% of range when the temperature is close to freezing - if that's "horrible" to you, then that's what it is. Let's not generalize and spread misinformation.
Old 12-15-21, 09:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

still stuck in that cult of personality mindset? "elon good", "akio bad" LOL
You're the one constantly using that pejorative not me, my comments on the various CEOs are from a business perspective not personal.
i do agree that akio toyoda is a very unconvincing presenter (just from body language), has been all over the map, and should be replaced. it is important to remember though the japanese govt also heavily influences what he says.
I'm interested in what he does more than what he says. But since Akio has done almost nothing to transition Toyota to EVs I can only go on what he says, which ranges from Toyota is all in on EVs to EVs are worse for the environment than gas cars, and will kill millions of jobs. And no the Japanese government is not to blame for what Akio says or does.
yup, oil capital of canada, and you're driving 20 and 30 year old cars. when are you getting an EV?
What does this matter to the discussion? Is a person specifically tied to and responsible for what happens in a particular region? Has to drive a certain type of car or can't talk about said technology unless they own it? As usual you love to talk about me personally then you do the cowardly thing and never respond when I question it. Like here
right, and lex2k is neither a tesla owner, nor, as far as i know, an american resident or citizen.
You going to respond? Nope, and because you're a mod you are above the rules I've seen many people get a warning not to make things personal but you keep doing it. Here's what will happen this time, another mod will say something along the lines of, "everyone stop making it personal" instead of warning YOU.

Where in Canada? Are aware of the different types of climates in Canada?

Old 12-15-21, 09:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I speak from personal experience - I've owned a Model S for 2.5 years, and I live in Canada.

Your statement of an EV being horrible in cold is by definition - your statement, that's all it is.

My car loses between 20 - 30% of range when the temperature is close to freezing - if that's "horrible" to you, then that's what it is. Let's not generalize and spread misinformation.
It is horrible to me, sorry. If it doesn't bother you, great. It gets much, much colder in Canada than "freezing" temperature wise also if you mean 32 degrees F. The colder the worse.
Old 12-15-21, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
This isn't some small promise that they can back away from anytime though, this is a major commitment, especially for Lexus. That's why I say this entire event is so uncharacteristic of Toyota.
toyota/lexus is not always conservative. they made the hybrid market with ENORMOUS investments and losses for years.
they did the LFA, an outrageous (and fabulous) move for a 'boring' luxury car maker.
they had scion, for a while, which wasn't ultimately successful, but still a bold move.
and now, ev'ificiation.

lol, pretty easy for you to say though, you don't drive anywhere

except common sense and common knowledge are often wrong, or at least outdated...

the AAA article is from nearly 3 years ago.

cold has been viewed as bad for batteries because range has been generally less in tests, but that was primarily because the car's heaters (to keep those wimpy humans warm) were simply heating elements which were a big drain on the battery. more and more EVs are using heat pumps now, which unless the weather is extremely cold, draw much less.

see this: https://www.topspeed.com/cars/heat-p...-ar192036.html
Old 12-15-21, 09:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

t

the AAA article is from nearly 3 years ago.

cold has been viewed as bad for batteries because range has been generally less in tests, but that was primarily because the car's heaters (to keep those wimpy humans warm) were simply heating elements which were a big drain on the battery. more and more EVs are using heat pumps now, which unless the weather is extremely cold, draw much less.
Fair enough, but still. Cold is bad for batteries, that's pretty indisputable. Whereas it has no effect on an ICE by comparison.
Old 12-15-21, 10:01 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Cold has no effect on a gas vehicle? What?
Old 12-15-21, 10:04 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

lol, pretty easy for you to say though, you don't drive anywhere
45k km is not exactly "not driving anywhere". And none of it is for business. How much do you drive in a year? 🙂
Old 12-15-21, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

But since Akio has done almost nothing to transition Toyota to EVs I can only go on what he says, which ranges from Toyota is all in on EVs to EVs are worse for the environment than gas cars, and will kill millions of jobs. And no the Japanese government is not to blame for what Akio says or does.
no one except those inside toyota knows what's really going on. they could have spent billions on battery research but not have something to announce. but yes, they don't have products for sale at scale like "elon".

What does this matter to the discussion? Is a person specifically tied to and responsible for what happens in a particular region? Has to drive a certain type of car or can't talk about said technology unless they own it? As usual you love to talk about me personally then you do the cowardly thing and never respond when I question it. Like here
You going to respond? Nope, and because you're a mod you are above the rules I've seen many people get a warning not to make things personal but you keep doing it. Here's what will happen this time, another mod will say something along the lines of, "everyone stop making it personal" instead of warning YOU.
ok i will respond. you are obviously a staunch supporter of EVs, and of tesla in particular. i think it's because of your stock holdings, but that's not important. it's hard to reconcile how fervently you support and defend all things "elon" and EV yet don't drive an EV. not going to state what that is normally called.
you also bring out boiling oil and daggers in your posts about anything to do with toyota/lexus these days. i've certainly been a critic of many things they've done over the years. but i don't make it personal about the ceo, just as i don't make what tesla does about "elon".

how about we just wish toyota/lexus well on their announced goals, while you, and i, and probably everyone here is skeptical of them until we see more evidence of progress.

Quick Reply: Lexus will be all-EV brand by 2030, introduces entire future lineup