Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus ES 300h F Sport First Look (ClubLexus Official)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 08:45 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2022 Lexus ES 300h F Sport First Look (ClubLexus Official)

Hey, folks! Michael here from the front-page editorial team. So Lexus decided to add the F Sport package (trim) to the ES 300h hybrid for the 2022 model year and they sent me a prototype to review. On paper, it's a strange combo. A fuel-sipping economy car that's now meaner-looking and sporty in the twisties. But it ended up winning me over.

A short write-up and full video coverage over HERE on the front page: https://www.clublexus.com/articles/2...rt-first-look/

What do you think about a front-wheel-drive F Sport hybrid?

Good idea? Silly idea? Continued diluting of the F Sport branding? Is this a fun daily driver for city commuting?

Let me know!
Old 12-20-21, 09:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,919 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I'm not opposed to the idea! I think giving this car adaptive dampers to allow it to firm up a bit in the twisty bits can only make it that much more versatile. Though I don't consider it a true sport sedan by any means, this would be a nice efficient daily.
Old 12-20-21, 09:14 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'm not opposed to the idea! I think giving this car adaptive dampers to allow it to firm up a bit in the twisty bits can only make it that much more versatile. Though I don't consider it a true sport sedan by any means, this would be a nice efficient daily.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I landed after driving it.
Old 12-20-21, 10:33 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

If this was AWD it would be a win. FWD no thanks.

Why is AWD exclusive to the 250? I don't understand that. Not only did they nix the GS, but they simply refuse to even attempt to fill that void. They really don't want my business when I'm done with the GS, so I'll have no choice but to oblige them and take my business elsewhere.
Old 12-20-21, 11:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I'd go for an IS hybrid in a heartbeat. Sporty on the outside, efficient on the inside. The ES is okay, but doesn't check all the boxes.
Great color though.
Old 12-20-21, 11:24 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

The IS (& RC) hybrids (300h) have existed in Europe from the onset of the 3IS (& the RC) - same 2.5 D4-S 4-pot. Economy is top notch, but performance is... lacking, for a lack of better words. We also don't get the is/gs/rc350 variants - the only way to get a 2GR is to go for the gs450h...

The ES is a fine car but should not in any way be compared to the GS, period. Transverse engine... sedan... sporty... not a Honda... Something smells.
Old 12-21-21, 10:06 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

when scrolling i initially thought the author mistakenly put an IS in the video thumbnail, but i was mistaken! wow the color got me. the ES looks good and better than the past few iterations.

the ES is a nice sedan, and glad lexus has not removed it from the lineup where most auto makers are removing sedans in favor of CUVs/SUVs. i agree it's a FWD car, very different from the RWD as far as driving personality goes, but it will sell to the brand loyalists out there (not necessarily enthusiasts).

f sport is just trying to cater to the performance mentality without going full blown F; just like AMG, M, and S-lines are doing over in germany.
Old 12-22-21, 12:50 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
just like AMG, M, and S-lines are doing over in germany.
What a shame. Those badges used to mean something.
Old 12-22-21, 05:21 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,919 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
What a shame. Those badges used to mean something.
I get what you're saying. If you see the M badge on an older car at all, it means something performance-related has been done. Yet, now, almost all BMWs can be had with an M-Sport package which puts a lot of M badges on the car. Take our 330i for example, which has the M-badged wheels, sill plates, stainless steel pedals, and steering wheel, along with the M colors making an appearance on the floor mats and the stitching on the seats.

I find it prudent to point out two things about this. First of all, there are some actual changes here that, at least theoretically, change the driving experience to be more sporting. The wheels are larger, giving less sidewall for more responsive handling, and the suspension is firmer than a non-M-Sport model. Also, the steering rack is different in the M Sport model. The steering has more weight and is quicker. However, aside from that, I would say it's a shame that everything else different is cosmetic. It's an awful lot of advertising for such minor improvements. Yet, improvements they are. Even on my IS 350 F Sport, the car has differently-tuned suspension and more supportive seats to better tackle a spirited drive. In the US, for 2021, it's worth pointing out that there's no such thing as a "base IS 350" anymore, since they are all F Sport, but still, it does not have the same tuning as the IS 300. Second thing to point out is that an actual "M" badge on the car's decklid still means it's got more power and improved handling over the standard model. For an M340i, for instance, you get a different engine and suspension tune compared with the 330i. With the F cars, it's even harder to mistake the F Sport for a full-on F because the badge's location and shape are totally different.

I guess the summary is this: as long as the cars actually have some upgrades that improve performance, I am fine with it. The whole "F Sport Style" package is nonsense, but at least Lexus is being up-front that it is cosmetic by naming it that way, I guess.
Old 12-22-21, 06:28 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Those sliding calipers and non-slotted rotors (well, they drill them... for looks and cracks ) look way out of place on otherwise "M-package" cars.
Old 12-22-21, 10:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
when scrolling i initially thought the author mistakenly put an IS in the video thumbnail, but i was mistaken! wow the color got me. the ES looks good and better than the past few iterations.

the ES is a nice sedan, and glad lexus has not removed it from the lineup where most auto makers are removing sedans in favor of CUVs/SUVs. i agree it's a FWD car, very different from the RWD as far as driving personality goes, but it will sell to the brand loyalists out there (not necessarily enthusiasts).

f sport is just trying to cater to the performance mentality without going full blown F; just like AMG, M, and S-lines are doing over in germany.
It still means that with a stage 1 tune it will outrun anything with an L on it. The M340i is a great example of how far Lexus missed the mark performance wise
Old 12-22-21, 10:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Those sliding calipers and non-slotted rotors (well, they drill them... for looks and cracks ) look way out of place on otherwise "M-package" cars.
You can have a $117k German and it will still have sliders.....they are mean about that. You have to get a full S/M/AMG if you want opposed.