Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21 | 06:58 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, presently Teslas are appealing to a niche.
Once a solidly engineered and solidly built EV like a Toyota bZ or Lexus RZ450e is released, EV’s will really really take off like hot cakes.
China will soon open the floodgates of EV's......On another note is all these clowns that park in the EV charging stalls, specially when there are other spots to park....
Old 12-21-21 | 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Felix
Call these clowns that park in the EV charging stalls, specially when there are other spots to park....
That's a job for the people in blue........

Old 12-21-21 | 07:32 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

If you like torque and speed then you might enjoy it. Throw in the tech and no need to buy gas. My friends who own them say they are never coming back to ICE cars. I am not the biggest tesla fan, but I totally get the attraction. I am waiting for more and better choices which are on the way.
Old 12-21-21 | 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Back to the thread topic and the question of whether there are any current ICE cars out there that appeal to me... I'm a little surprised as I really can't think of any, at least at my price point. The only one I can honestly think of is the LC500.
great minds think alike. that's why i got one a year ago in 3 days.

Originally Posted by ATLHeel350
The ICE car that excites me the most lately is the GT4RS. That car is amazing.
that's a good thought... yes amazing car.

My plan is to keep my LC500C as my ICE car and buy an EV for daily driving.
Sounds familiar.
Old 12-22-21 | 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It will come. Just look at all of these EVs...EVs that will work for us will come.
Old 12-22-21 | 07:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It will come. Just look at all of these EVs...EVs that will work for us will come.
The Lucid Air that is coming out looks like it's going to be awesome. Throttle House just released their review. The opening is hilarious
Old 12-22-21 | 08:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as for new ICE vehicles... i just don't see anything interesting and there's not likely to be anything interesting because all the big money is going into EVs.
They also solve a lot of problems, everything becomes smoother, more luxurious and yes even more fun.
I do have to say that so far, I like how Tesla and now Rivian are thinking outside the box. Same goes for Lucid.

You can see they started fresh and there is a lot of benefit there.
Old 12-22-21 | 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
They also solve a lot of problems, everything becomes smoother, more luxurious and yes even more fun.
I do have to say that so far, I like how Tesla and now Rivian are thinking outside the box. Same goes for Lucid.

agreed. yes, ICE has constrained car design although human creativity and ingenuity has certainly produced amazing variations with front, mid and rear engine positions! I look forward to more creative EV packaging designs... some will hate, some will love, but it's opened up whole new options.

Old 12-23-21 | 05:15 AM
situman
Pole Position

I'm not excited by any EVs right now. Range and the lack of infrastructure leaves me cold.
Old 12-23-21 | 05:35 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LOL EV's are completely free market. You buy one or don't buy one. No one is going to force anyone to buy an EV, and to say that is a lie, or self deception at the very least. I have a ton of choice just when it comes to Autos, my choice is EV. No one forced me, I drove one and realized that they have way more potential than an ICE and leased one, and am about to lease another. There are so many other cars I could afford...LC500, RCF, IS500, IS350, BMW M5 etc. but I choose the EV route because ICE has reached its zenith while EV is still in it's infancy and outperforms ICE in every way, the main hurdle is better battery tech, we are an innovative people and that will be solved as well
You don't seem to understand what free market means with the "you buy one or don't buy one" comment. Free markets are markets that are driven solely by supply and demand, with little to no government interference from regulations/tariffs/incentives/quotas/subsidies. Politics aside, the government created an entire fake carbon credit market that allowed Tesla to survive. ICE automakers were forced to subsidize their competition. And those EVs and tax credit were given large tax credits to incentivize their purchase. Same goes for your solar.

And that's also the reason you see so much emphasis on EVs in marketing these days. Automakers see trillions of future green dollars coming in Federal legislation and are lining up to get their piece of the pie. They also see many more regulations on ICE coming that will make development more expensive. Those facts are pushing automakers to EVs. Whether you agree or disagree with the intent, it has nothing to do with free markets. Quite the opposite.
Old 12-23-21 | 05:42 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf

I agree. I love my battery powered tools at home. Electric cars will get there, and probably sooner than later. I just want it to be a choice, not forced by legislation or the economics of market manipulation.
Old 12-23-21 | 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Free markets are markets that are driven solely by supply and demand, with little to no government interference from regulations/tariffs/incentives/quotas/subsidies.
A lot of that "demand" though, is because of government regulations. When something is mandated in Washington (or California), it's difficult for the industry to say no. In that sense, it is not politics.......it is an actual economic market force.
Old 12-23-21 | 07:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed. yes, ICE has constrained car design although human creativity and ingenuity has certainly produced amazing variations with front, mid and rear engine positions! I look forward to more creative EV packaging designs... some will hate, some will love, but it's opened up whole new options.
All the cars are constrained by design, there needs to be a passenger compartment, cargo room, vehicle safety, pedestrian safety, etc. Electric cars can have a somewhat different approach to the packaging of the drivetrain, but they still have to have crumple zones, and they have an additional challenge when it comes to packaging the battery.

I am not and will not be excited by EVs unless there is a radical breakthrough in battery tech. Right now the battery tech we have has peaked out roughly 10 years ago, and manufacturers are treading dangerous waters by trying to squeeze marginal increases in capacity to the point where the batteries are unstable and there is a high risk of self combustion.

As it stands, both ICE and electric motor tech have been around roughly the same amount of time, and have more or less peaked out. Clearly, electric motors and electric drivetrains are far superior to ICEs, if you look at them purely from performance standpoint setting aside any emotional and purist factors. But the battery tech is absolutely awful, and comes with so many shortcomings that as an overall package, ICE cars are just better.
Old 12-23-21 | 10:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
You don't seem to understand what free market means with the "you buy one or don't buy one" comment. Free markets are markets that are driven solely by supply and demand, with little to no government interference from regulations/tariffs/incentives/quotas/subsidies. Politics aside, the government created an entire fake carbon credit market that allowed Tesla to survive. ICE automakers were forced to subsidize their competition. And those EVs and tax credit were given large tax credits to incentivize their purchase. Same goes for your solar.

And that's also the reason you see so much emphasis on EVs in marketing these days. Automakers see trillions of future green dollars coming in Federal legislation and are lining up to get their piece of the pie. They also see many more regulations on ICE coming that will make development more expensive. Those facts are pushing automakers to EVs. Whether you agree or disagree with the intent, it has nothing to do with free markets. Quite the opposite.
I get what you're saying. Everything aside, you can still choose to buy or not to buy (some Shakespeare ). For almost 30 years I chose to buy Toyota/Lexus products because I feel they are the most reliable cars made. Others chose not to because they don't like the infotainment system or the lack of HP. In 2018 I decided to make a change and bought a Honda, but came back a year later. The choice is there, and ICE vehicles are not going anywhere anytime soon.

As far as regulations, they are there and we just have to work around them. But not all of them are bad IMO. I grew up in smog filled Southern California where you couldn't see the Hollywood hills that were just 5 miles away. I'm thankful regulations helped make the air much cleaner
Old 12-24-21 | 08:22 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A lot of that "demand" though, is because of government regulations. When something is mandated in Washington (or California), it's difficult for the industry to say no. In that sense, it is not politics.......it is an actual economic market force.
Correct. The more the government intervenes with regulations/incentives/whatever to create demand for one product over another, the less of a free market it becomes.

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?