Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21 | 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The $100 extra in registration fees for EV's. That covers the revenue from lost gas taxes
The government can create fees for anything. They will continue to raise them over the years. They can come up with all sorts of fees.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/energy...-vehicles.aspx
Old 12-20-21 | 02:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
And we charge from our rooftops so its not like they can charge us tax. I pay nothing in electricity and won't for the next 20 years.
This is what my roof is going to look like in April/May when they are finished. If I could only pump some of this in my ICE vehicles...

Old 12-20-21 | 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm really sold on the Encore GX....absolutely love it for my daily-driving needs in spite of the somewhat gruffy three-banger at low revs. But I'd also be very open to a Hybrid, Plug-in-Hybrid or full-electric vision of the GX.....particularly if we can get adequate re-charging-outlets in my neighborhood, and the local kids don't report to pulling the plugs out as a prank.
In my experience whether PHEV or BEV, the charger locks to the port when you lock the car. Can't remove it unless you unlock the car.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
And we charge from our rooftops so its not like they can charge us tax. I pay nothing in electricity and won't for the next 20 years.
No escaping Uncle Sam.

Gas tax revenue will need to be made up and they will tax EV cars in a different manner to meet any deficit. Everyone will be paying more not less.

Also did you not pay/finance the solar panels and installation cost. Nothing is free.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-20-21 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

After what they did to us with the lockdowns, I find it hard to be excited about mundane things like cars, EVs or ICEs.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Having seen and reviewed a new Genesis GV70, I wouldn't be surprised if you took one of those home next time, particularly if Genesis gets around to a hybrid or full-BEV version of it.
as i said, i have no interest in ICE or even hybrid right now. the gv70 is nice, but i'd get an ioniq 5 in a heartbeat instead.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder how interested they would be if there were a tax on EV charing? Definitely will be coming one day. I believe the costs to go green and charge cars will be far more expensive in the future as they will need lots of $$$ for the roads.
i agree with this. but average people are interested for many reasons. if they can charge from home then the idea of never going to the gas station is appealing. with huge numbers of govt, business, celebrity and other folks declaring the evils of fossil fuels, many average people are thinking an EV will at least mean they're not usng fossil fuel there.

Originally Posted by EZZ
one way or another you're going to pay even if you have rooftop solar. they can require you to have a license for the solar, they can increase reg fees, they can install tolls, they can surcharge (tax) chargers, and on and on.

Old 12-20-21 | 02:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by EZZ
California always finds a way

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...cy-2021-12-13/

Under the proposed reforms, Californians with new solar installations would see a discounted rate for power they sell into the grid and a monthly utility charge of $8 per kilowatt to cover the cost of maintaining the grid.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
No escaping Uncle Sam.

Gas tax revenue will need to be made up and they will tax EV cars in a different manner to meet any deficit. Everyone will be paying more not less.

Also did you not pay/finance the solar panels and installation cost. Nothing is free.
You don't just buy solar panels for your EV's, you buy/Lease them to save on the total energy you use, including AC and other electrical use. Tons of my neighbors have them and don't own a single EV. They add value to your house, like a deck or extra room, except they actually pay you back. Also they are highly subsidized here in California, in fact they are changing my Fuse box using subsidies and adding a 240v circuit, an electrician quoted me $4K, nothing is coming out of my pocket. My cost? $0 down and $137 a month. My electricity costs for the next 20 years? $0 a month. My panels will be producing more electricity than I will ever be able to use, that is unless the sun dies, or a volcano erupts and covers the sky in ash, then it doesn't matter

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-20-21 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

It would depend on which vehicle I'm replacing.

If I were to replace the Tundra, the only thing I'd replace it with is a new one, in the hybrid version. I'd have a hard time parting with my V8, though.

If I were to replace my GS, I'd probably go with an electric sedan. Probably a Tesla 3P, or I'd stay with gas and find a lightly used GS F or grab an LC500.

For the Highlander, I'm not sure. I suspect soon there will be some good 3 row electric SUV/CUVs out there. Maybe in the meantime I'd go with a Volvo XC90 T8 Recharge, though I wish the battery range was longer, but in reality it would still be enough for almost all of our driving as we stay pretty local.

On a side note, I pay an extra $75 a year on my license tabs for the Highlander because it's a hybrid. Kind of silly that I have to pay extra for a vehicle that gets 28 mpg, just because it's a hybrid, but c'est la vie I guess.

Last edited by JDR76; 12-20-21 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
LOL that's not going to happen. That's only a proposal that been floated around from the Utility Commission. They have made even crazier proposals in the past, they never pass, the voters here would never let something like that pass. You think people who installed Solar would accept that? Fake news

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-20-21 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 02:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
one way or another you're going to pay even if you have rooftop solar. they can require you to have a license for the solar, they can increase reg fees, they can install tolls, they can surcharge (tax) chargers, and on and on.
California does a lot of crazy ****, but one thing they do right is subsidize green energy like Solar. They do charge a $10 a month "grid" fee already, and there are already "toll roads" they have implemented, but you drive on those by choice. Also there a couple of bridges that cross the SF bay that you have to pay a toll, but those have been around for years. California already gets it's piece of the pie, at least with Solar and EV they give some of it back, which is good thing IMO
Old 12-20-21 | 02:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You don't just buy solar panels for your EV's, you buy/Lease them to save on the total energy you use, including AC and other electrical use. Tons of my neighbors have them and don't own a single EV. They add value to your house, like a deck or extra room, except they actually pay you back. Also they are highly subsidized here in California, in fact they are changing my Fuse box using subsidies and adding a 240v circuit, an electrician quoted me $4K, nothing is coming out of my pocket. My cost? $0 down and $137 a month. My electricity costs for the next 20 years? $0 a month. My panels will be producing more electricity than I will ever be able to use, that is unless the sun dies, or a volcano erupts and covers the sky in ash, then it doesn't matter
So what happens if you sell the property - don’t you have to payoff the loan.
I would imagine the solar company has a mortgage lien against your home.

We haven’t seen sun in NYC for sometime maybe by next May so Solar here is not too popular although i do have have solar light along my landscaping- they work horrible in winter months.
Old 12-20-21 | 03:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as i said, i have no interest in ICE or even hybrid right now. the gv70 is nice, but i'd get an ioniq 5 in a heartbeat instead.

i agree with this. but average people are interested for many reasons. if they can charge from home then the idea of never going to the gas station is appealing. with huge numbers of govt, business, celebrity and other folks declaring the evils of fossil fuels, many average people are thinking an EV will at least mean they're not usng fossil fuel there.

Are you actually comparing Ioniq to a GV70?!

What is so appealing about EV - i have driven Teslas and EQS - maybe im missing something…..
Old 12-20-21 | 03:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So what happens if you sell the property - don’t you have to payoff the loan.
I would imagine the solar company has a mortgage lien against your home.

We haven’t seen sun in NYC for sometime maybe by next May so Solar here is not too popular although i do have have solar light along my landscaping- they work horrible in winter months.
They give you a clause in the contract to transfer the solar to the new owner. The monthly payment is cheaper than the monthly electric bill, so that would be a win-win for the new buyer, or you price it into the house and pay off the lease. I bought my house with Solar panels already installed as part of the house, I outgrew them that's why I'm adding more. Having Solar panels is very attractive to buyers here.

Yeah, the landscaping solar lights are nothing like the rooftop solar panels. The way it works is you generate the majority of your electricity during summer when the days are longer, which makes up for shorter winter days. It ends up evening out. Think of it this way...all the extra power you generate and don't use goes back to you as credits, so in the winter when you generate less electricity, you still don't have to pay an electric bill (except the $10 grid fee) because you have a huge credit that you use during the winter months

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-20-21 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 03:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Are you actually comparing Ioniq to a GV70?!

What is so appealing about EV - i have driven Teslas and EQS - maybe im missing something…..
Your the only one I know who says they drove an EV and didn't say they could never go back. Yeah, you are missing something for sure. I get when people say I don't want to plug in an EV and wait, that's understandable. But I would bet my life that if they drove one they would change their minds. As much as ICE has advanced, it is in no way as efficient as an EV motor, nor can it even come near producing the power as cheaply. V8's, V10's, V12 etc are expensive, inefficient and extremely wasteful when comparing to the tiny motors of an EV than can be fitted directly on the drivetrain

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-20-21 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?