Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21 | 03:24 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Are you actually comparing Ioniq to a GV70?!

What is so appealing about EV - i have driven Teslas and EQS - maybe im missing something…..
Stupid amounts of power and (if you have a garage you can charge in) a full tank every morning Would I own one without a garage bay to charge in? Probably not

I loved my IS, liked my GS, but driving in my 3P is so much more satisfying. Sure the interior isn't nearly as nice, but it's good enough.
Old 12-20-21 | 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
In my experience whether PHEV or BEV, the charger locks to the port when you lock the car. Can't remove it unless you unlock the car.
Good to hear. Let's hope the kids don't think up something else.
Old 12-20-21 | 03:26 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
They give you a clause in the contract to transfer the solar to the new owner. The monthly payment is cheaper than the monthly electric bill, so that would be a win-win for the new buyer, or you price it into the house and pay off the lease. I bought my house with Solar panels already installed as part of the house, I outgrew them that's why I'm adding more. Having Solar panels is very attractive to buyers here.

Yeah, the landscaping solar lights are nothing like the rooftop solar panels. The way it works is you generate the majority of your electricity during summer when the days are longer, which makes up for shorter winter days. It ends up evening out. Think of it this way...all the extra power you generate and don't use goes back to you as credits, so in the winter when you generate less electricity, you still don't have to pay an electric bill (except the $10 grid fee) because you have a huge credit that you use during the winter years
Works the same in NJ. We were thinking about getting some batteries put in for outages, but it would've extended our breakeven point a lot. Ended up just getting a whole home generator put in which has already kept us warm and toasty after heavy snowfall. Our grid access fee is ~$3 and I only end up paying ~1-2 months out of the year
Old 12-20-21 | 03:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Works the same in NJ. We were thinking about getting some batteries put in for outages, but it would've extended our breakeven point a lot. Ended up just getting a whole home generator put in which has already kept us warm and toasty after heavy snowfall. Our grid access fee is ~$3 and I only end up paying ~1-2 months out of the year
We've only had a power outage once in the 6 years we have lived here, but since I will be shortly owning two EV's I'm also planning on putting in a generator, which are cheaper than the Storage battery and run off natural gas
Old 12-20-21 | 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, which is why I find it so hilarious when people say EVs aren't coming and all of this EV stuff is premature and its being forced on people. People WANT EVs lol
Old 12-20-21 | 04:03 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

@bitkahuna - a think a Macan EV or the Ioniq would be great replacements for you

On another note -
"What is so appealing about EV. I've driven EQS and Teslas"
- From a "car enthusiast", this comment is very closed minded.
Old 12-20-21 | 04:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I agree, which is why I find it so hilarious when people say EVs aren't coming and all of this EV stuff is premature and its being forced on people. People WANT EVs lol
LOL I just have laugh with you. I believe that if a doubter drove one for a few hours they would change their opinions on EV's
Old 12-20-21 | 04:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
@bitkahuna - a think a Macan EV or the Ioniq would be great replacements for you

On another note -
I vote that he keeps his LC500 and adds a Macan EV to the mix. Although the Ioniq 5 would be the practical car with plenty of power and range

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-20-21 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-20-21 | 04:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Stupid amounts of power and (if you have a garage you can charge in) a full tank every morning Would I own one without a garage bay to charge in? Probably not

I loved my IS, liked my GS, but driving in my 3P is so much more satisfying. Sure the interior isn't nearly as nice, but it's good enough.
Like you, I love my 2010 IS350 Sport, but when I test drove the PoleStar 2, I was sold. So much so that I'm selling my IS350 once I get delivery of the PoleStar
Old 12-20-21 | 04:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
No escaping Uncle Sam.

Gas tax revenue will need to be made up and they will tax EV cars in a different manner to meet any deficit. Everyone will be paying more not less.

Also did you not pay/finance the solar panels and installation cost. Nothing is free.
Breakeven in 2 more years. I got a huge tax break on the solar too. Also, California charges a higher registration fee to offset loss in gas tax. Nothing is free but the ROI on my solar is ridiculous.
Old 12-20-21 | 05:05 PM
xjokerz
Racer

It's nice that some of you throw away a ton of money each month into expensive car payments. Some of us don't want that. There is nothing I would buy for an EV that is considered affordable. It's all garbage with a lot of them being Bots or Leafs or some Ford Focus electric thing that gets about 65 miles of range and is ugly. Therefore, the only electric cars out there that I would consider cost 50-60k+ such as a Polestar or something. Then you have to get your house set up to charge so it doesn't take 3 days to charge enough to drive 200 miles.

Meanwhile, I love my ES and I don't care it's 10 years old. It's quiet, fast, smooth, lots of room, pretty good on gas considering, and it's stylish to me. It will also never break. I paid $12k for my ES 350 and even with gas at $4 a gallon here in Washington, I'm only paying about $600 a month (payment, gas, and insurance). An EV that isn't some junker like a Leaf or Bolt will cost way more than $600 just for the vehicle itself. Then you have to factor in higher insurance costs because the car is new and the cost to charge is just going to go up over time as more EV's get on the road. Not to mention that it's inconvenient. That $600 I'm paying will probably go down to about $550 in the next month or two, by the way, with cheaper gas prices being a possibility.

So long story short: If you want to throw tons of money each month on electric driving, go right ahead. For most of us though, that's okay we'll pass.
Old 12-20-21 | 05:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Breakeven in 2 more years. I got a huge tax break on the solar too. Also, California charges a higher registration fee to offset loss in gas tax. Nothing is free but the ROI on my solar is ridiculous.
Mine will begin to payoff right away as the monthly payment is lower than my monthly bill. Plus they are using state subsidies to replace and upgrade my electric panel, including bringing in a dedicated 240v circuit so I can do level 2 charging. Saves me $4k right there. $0 out of pocket
Old 12-20-21 | 06:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I’m more than satisfied by the power i have in my ICE cars which are all more than any average driver can explore on public roads. Therefore going to a subpar interior with goofy styling plus the added inconvenience of charging is not appealing to me personally.

I do understand wanting a Tesla for the tech experience.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People go with the current fad.
Most ppl that buy Teslas in 2021 do it for the cool/hip image rather than its an EV.
Same reason ppl buy Jeep Wranglers or Gwagons.
Old 12-20-21 | 06:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed

On another note -
Well that’s my observation - there is no EV car besides Taycan geared for a car enthusiast.

Porsche is having battery issues on the Taycans so I would not be rushing to get EV Macan which are still 2yrs away probably.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-20-21 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone else not excited about any new non-EV vehicles these days?